PDA

View Full Version : Vendor recommendations for RCBS stuff

fastdadio
10-13-2015, 08:18 PM
Been poking around in here and didn't find what I'm looking for. So, here we go. I'm going to start reloading for 30-30 win. I'm set up for RCBS. I need a set of full length dies, boolit mold and a shell holder. Any particular vendors you folks prefer? I've looked at Amazon, Cabellas, Midway, & Ballistic Prods. Who else? I'll order my Lee mold from Titan and that will get me going.

jmort
10-13-2015, 08:19 PM
Midway or Midsouth or Amazon is where I would look/buy

flyer1
10-13-2015, 08:20 PM
Graf and sons, Natchez, Wideners

Leadmelter
10-13-2015, 08:23 PM
All the above and look on EvilBay for a good dal on lightly used equipment. I have had good luck on that forum.
Leadmelter

alamogunr
10-13-2015, 09:13 PM
All are good except I usually bypass Widener's, Midsouth and Natchez. Widener's & Midsouth because they are located in Tennessee. and additional 9.75% sales tax is a deal killer. Natchez for the same reason and they don't sell to TN, GA and AL because they protect their wholesale customers in those states.

cheese1566
10-13-2015, 09:18 PM
Make a post in the Swappin' & Sellin' area for those items in the wanted section.

probably get a good deal on a used set from a friend here

Half Dog
10-13-2015, 09:30 PM
I prefer to get those type of items at gun shows. The right vendor will not charge sales tax, shipping, and might be a dollar or two cheaper.

GabbyM
10-13-2015, 11:38 PM
RCBS Cowboy die sets in 30-30 are fantastic for cast bullets.
I like Lyman M dies just fine but the RCBS expanders are very high quality.

Mk42gunner
10-14-2015, 12:17 AM
With the internet it is easy to shop around. Be sure to compare shipping charges as well as sales tax.

I have always gotten good service from Midsouth, Midway, and Graf's.

I'm in the opposite position from alamogunr in that I live in Missouri, therefore Midway and Graf's have to charge me sales tax. Some times they are the only one that has what I want though.

Robert

RogerDat
10-14-2015, 12:26 AM
Graf and sons, Natchez, Wideners Have done business and been satisfied with all three of these. Not on RCBS specifically but they were ok to deal with. No problems with anything ordered.

flyer1
10-14-2015, 07:54 AM
Powder Valley is good one for bullets powder etc.

Wayne Smith
10-14-2015, 08:55 AM
30-30 is one of the oldest and most available set of dies to find used. Any die set can be used in your RCBS equipment, except the 310 dies (without adapter). You will find dies from Eagle American, Krupp, Pacific, Hornaday, Bair, etc. on eBay that you can use. Most of my common dies have come from there. For Cast Boolits you will want to add an expander die to the common two die set. Those are included in the Lyman die sets and their M die expander is available separately. RCBS has a separate expander die but I think it is included in their Cowboy set.

josephgioiellli
10-14-2015, 02:42 PM
Just saw a new set on ebay for $35 buy it now, free shipping, 100% positive feedback. Average price is $45 so that is a good deal.

fastdadio
10-14-2015, 04:53 PM
30-30 is one of the oldest and most available set of dies to find used. Any die set can be used in your RCBS equipment, except the 310 dies (without adapter). You will find dies from Eagle American, Krupp, Pacific, Hornaday, Bair, etc. on eBay that you can use. Most of my common dies have come from there. For Cast Boolits you will want to add an expander die to the common two die set. Those are included in the Lyman die sets and their M die expander is available separately. RCBS has a separate expander die but I think it is included in their Cowboy set.

When you say 'expander die' Do you mean the cartrige neck? If so, all my other RCBS rifle dies came with one installed. I may need to buy a larger one since I'll be starting with .309 boolits and I'm sure the die will come with a .308 neck expander in place. This will be my first sortie into loading cast for rifles. My past experience is 308/30 06 but only with those copper clad pro-joes.

Mk42gunner
10-14-2015, 06:19 PM
Think of loading lead boolits in a rifle as more like loading for a handgun, where you use the third die for belling the case mouth. The lead needs the edge of the brass case expanded to slightly over boolit diameter so it doesn't shave lead while seating the projectile, where a jacketed bullet will do its own expanding.

Robert

fastdadio
10-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Think of loading lead boolits in a rifle as more like loading for a handgun, where you use the third die for belling the case mouth. The lead needs the edge of the brass case expanded to slightly over boolit diameter so it doesn't shave lead while seating the projectile, where a jacketed bullet will do its own expanding.

Robert
Got it! Thanks, and yes I will be needing one of those also.

W.R.Buchanan
10-14-2015, 07:04 PM
I'd go on Ebay and search Reloading Dies .30-30. You should only get 49 hits.(that's what I just got) Any 7/8-14 dies will work in your press so there will be a lot to choose from. They range in price from $5 to $75 depending on the brand and new or used.

Any of the above named outfits will be able to sell you any of the available brands of new dies and I believe they all carry Just about all of them.

I'd still go to Ebay and look for used dies as you are definitely going to get a better deal there,,, unless you buy new dies there in which case you'll probably pay more.

Shop everywhere first! Easy to get screwed nowadays.

Randy

clum553946
10-14-2015, 07:35 PM
If you're an Amazon prime customer,they take returns no questions asked for 30days & pay the return shipping, that's where I look first as Midway wouldn't pay for the return shipping on a defective item one time.

gwpercle
10-14-2015, 08:09 PM
Don't forget about CH4D dies and shell holders. 30-30 is a common set that comes up on E-bay often , just be aware of what a new set of dies cost and don't get carried away in the bidding war game. It amazes that some will pay twice the cost of new dies for used ones...that's insane !
You can order new CH4D direct from them or through some dealers on the net. Just google CH4D reloading dies for sale .
I got a set of Bonanza 41 magnum dies, unused but grungy from sitting in its box, for $8.95. Everyone was bidding on RCBS dies and I was the only person who knew what Bonanza dies were, and I put in the only bid.
All the brands Wayne Smith mentioned are good. Don't be in a hurry and pick up a bargin.
Most 30-30 die sets are two die, for cast boolits you will need a die to flare the edge of the case mouth out to prevent shaving the soft lead. Lyman M die or Lee Universal case flaring die will work, if a set has three dies it probably has the neck flaring die included.
Gary

gwpercle
10-14-2015, 08:18 PM
If you're an Amazon prime customer,they take returns no questions asked for 30days & pay the return shipping, that's where I look first as Midway wouldn't pay for the return shipping on a defective item one time.

They have changed that now, they will reimburse you for return shipping, I've returned three things lately , all received damaged and returned and they paid me a little more than the actual return shipping actually cost me. I like being able to return something for exchange to Midway and not have to go through or deal with the manufacturer.
Gary

alamogunr
10-14-2015, 10:12 PM
I would second the recommendation to check Ebay. I've gotten several good sets of dies, all used. I've picked up duplicate cartridge dies except one was neck size only. I've got 2 sets of C-H dies that were on Ebay. I picked up one set of Forster Bench Rest dies, just because. I didn't pay near new price although some have been almost new.

The only new dies I've bought recently were a RCBS .223 X die set and a Redding K-31 set. This is not intended to set off a discussion of the pro's and con's of these dies, only that most of my recent(the last year) purchases have been used and from Ebay.

As Randy said, there will be a LOT of .30-30 dies on Ebay. Pick the best looking, the cheapest(may have plier marks) or what ever interests you. About the only thing that could be wrong is that the size die is scored and marks your brass. I've never encountered this but have heard of it.

fastdadio
10-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Thanks for all the posts and advice folks. I bought the dies from Cabellas on sale for 30 bux. I wish I would have read some of the later posts before I pulled the trigger though. Oh well, not like we're spending hundreds here and I wanted to get the ball rolling.