PDA

View Full Version : Is this 308 Win load good for deer?

hicard
10-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Deleted.

petroid
10-13-2015, 03:20 PM
I personally would try for somewhat higher velocity. My son just took a button buck with a 180ish gr FN boolit in the 1600fps range. It did the job nicely at about 30 yards. I wouldn't want to trust it out to 100 yards though. Dont know If i like 1400 fps past 50 yards. Make sure you do some expansion and penetration testing. Wet phone books and jugs of water are your friends

hicard
10-13-2015, 03:21 PM
Wow, had a double post and by the time I deleted the second post, you replied. Thanks, I will take your advise.

petroid
10-13-2015, 03:28 PM
I'm just saying that with that velocity, unless the alloy is really soft, you'll be hard pressed to get much expansion. Shot placement is also very important as I'd be leery about getting good penetration on a big deer shot in the shoulder. Do some water jug and phone book testing and draw your own conclusions. It shouldn't be too difficult to work up a little hotter load with that 2400. You should be able to get up to 20 grains safely. I think anything 15-16 grains and up should give you enough velocity to do what you need with the right alloy.

Motor
10-15-2015, 10:47 PM
I kinda agree with petroid but considering people take deer with .357s using about the same weight boolits and about the same or slower velocity (depending on rifle or pistol) your .308 has more sectional density which should mean more penetration capability.

I personally like high teens velocity wise but I haven't put meat on the table yet with my own cast rifle boolits. Actually this will be the first season I will try.

Motor