PDA

View Full Version : A Grampa's Brag !

Razor
04-07-2008, 12:04 AM
I helped put a big grin on my 12 yr old Grandsons face today.
We had been plinking before and his accuracy wasn't real good..
Different .22's, different stances, sharing rifles with friends, nasty weather,, all conspired to dim his enthusiasm.
Today, just him an' me...and the Marlin lever .22 he decided he liked.
Started off as usual, couldn't hit a 2" bull at 25 ft..
So I told him we were gonna find his "master eye"....
Whazzat Grampaw ??"
So, we went thru the thumb and closing-one-eye-at-a-time thing...
Guess what... he's a southpaw, but with a right master eye...!!
He had been shooting left-handed.
So we switched to a right-handed hold , dinked with elevation for a few rounds and he started putting them in the black...
Next I set up some empty .308 cases on a twig at 25'...
a few more rounds and he was drilling them dead center every time..
(We had to save a few cases to show Mom and Gramma...)
Several cases went off into the wild blue yonder..hit'em so square !!
I think I wuz grinnin' bigger'n my boy was.!!!...:bigsmyl2:
Bein' a Grampaw is a GOOD thing !!!![smilie=w:

Razor
:castmine:

PS. That Marlin is gonna be his birthday present in June...
I got plans for him and my SMLE 4 (T) and some cast squib loads...:twisted::twisted:
'nother caster on the way fellas !!!

madcaster
04-07-2008, 12:17 AM
This is a real pleasure to read,threads like this,get them younguns shooting and enjoying guns and hunting!

Bret4207
04-07-2008, 06:31 AM
Good on both of you!

bullshot
04-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Thats great. A little time spent today may develop into a lifetime hobby tomorrow. We need to get young blood into this hobby.
Congrats "Grandpa" :-D

Calamity Jake
04-07-2008, 08:17 AM
[A Grampa's Brag ! ]

Yap I like to do that to, my oldest GD, now 15 has been shooting from about age 9, this year will be her 4th time to compete in our annual Cowboy Action Shoot called Landrun, she will be shooting with 280+ other shooters from 9 to 75 years old.

encoreman
04-07-2008, 11:14 PM
Congrats from one grandpaw to another. Both of mine are still too young, however they both own their own guns. Bought my grandson who was about 3 months old at the time a model 37 Ithaca 16 gauge made in 1948. I can't hardly wait to take them both to the range or hunting. Some of my fondest memories of childhood had either guns, hunting or fishing involved. Mac

uncle joe
04-07-2008, 11:25 PM
I had the same problem when I was a kid. My dad took me to an old warehouse with an old daisy pump bb gun the old ones with the pump grip way out toward the end of the barrel. He noticed right away that I could not close my left eye and sight with my right eye. Don't know why, I still can't close the left one alone. So I was a southpaw only in the long gun sports. Just a few years ago a friend bought a compound bow and loved shooting it so he came over and was going to get me hooked on bowhunting. I shot several times and missed terribly to one side. Then he mentioned try shooting left handed. This was a feat in itself with a right handed bow but it worked, hit the bull every time. luckily my dominate eye was my left one so all worked out great. Everyone needs to take time with the young ones and teach them this stuff so we don't loose our heritage, otherwise the Obamas and Clintons will teach them something entirely different.:Fire::confused:

Razor
04-08-2008, 11:33 PM
Nice to hear I ain't the only one who finds joy in putting a grin on a young'uns face...
I figger if'n I don't push too hard, just encourage him a bit, educate him, and achieve a measure of success in his shooting...I can leave him some fond memories and I can have someone I can leave my 'gun stuff' to someday...
( sneaky, connivin' ole bastid, ain't I ???):twisted::twisted:

Razor
:castmine: