PDA

View Full Version : Measuring tool trivia: Great Lakes Micrometer

JSnover
10-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Going through some of my things the other day I came across a Great Lakes No. 85 1" micrometer, made by Great Lakes Stamping & Manufacturing, Toledo OH. It's not worth much and I don't plan to sell it, I just wonder when it was made. It came from my grandparents' house, probably bought prior to 1960.
Google was not much help. As near as I can tell, Great Lakes is still around but the original GLS&M is long gone.
I'll post pics as soon as I'm able to master the technology (the new phone is way smarter than I am).

Frank46
10-11-2015, 11:17 PM
I bought my first micrometer almost 40 years ago. Was made in Sweden and still accurate. Frank

country gent
10-11-2015, 11:29 PM
What alot dont realize is there were alot of regional manufacturers that made tooling and also machines. Alot of factories equipment was propritary and made in house. In those days the skills of your craftsman directly affected your buisness's success. At one point if you wanted machine tools or other tool you bought used or made them yourself. WEbaker had a lanner that was made in house back when they made steam tractors and locomotive parts. Those are probably very well made accurate michrometers and will last many lifetimes with a little care

JSnover
10-12-2015, 05:01 PM
At first glance it didn't look like much. The frame, barrel, and thimble appear to be cast aluminum or magnesium, chrome-plated. The spindle and anvil are ground carbon steel (no rust!), screwed into a threaded bushing. No lock ring and no ratchet. It reads .032" when lightly closed but it will be simple to fix that when I have a few minutes.
This is NOT my auction. I was unable to get a good photo so I dug this one up. It is identical to what I have, though I also have the original wood box w/sliding cover and instruction sheet: http://www.ebay.com/itm/400940235992?rmvSB=true
Like I said, I'm just wondering how old it is.

popper
10-12-2015, 05:20 PM
no ratchet? When did they start adding that? Dad had several, no ratchet that I tried to get my son to take when cleaning out the house. Dad prized good tools.

JSnover
10-12-2015, 05:25 PM
Kinda funny, the frame and thimble were cast with knurled surfaces to make it look as if they had a ratchet and lock ring.