PDA

View Full Version : My Students Rifle

JohnH
10-11-2005, 11:58 PM
While not a big fan of the 30 WCF or of leverguns in general, I have a post '64 top eject Model 94. Seems that the old veteran is a favorite amoung cast shooters. I had aquired the rifle in a trade with my wifes cousin, and I also have a copy of Mr. Lee's 312-185-R at hand. So I've decided to try my hand at shooting cast this rifle, applying the things I've learned hanging about here. My intention with the rifle was for trading material, but no reason I can't learn from it first I reckon.

So I cast some of the 312-185's up from the lead tin alloy I have made up for the 357 Max. This alloy I thought was made using 60/40 but it measures at 8 BHN, a little softer than 20:1 and just a smidgeon under what 30:1 should be. Figure this is soft enough to use to slug the bore with. Bulelt is .300 on the bore rider nose, and 311 on the shank. The bore rider enters the muzzle a little snug, the rifling very lightly engraves, enough so to show marks and the bulet can't be turned, but it does not require a strong effort to get the bullet into the muzzle. At that point, I took a mallet and whacked the bullet deeper into the barrel, leaving enough hanging out to grab with pliers and remove. The engraved shank measures 307. That's .004 under the original diameter of the bullet shank.

Question 1) Can I reduce the diameter of the shank by .002 in a sizing die and then let the barrel take the bullet down from there? Will doing so adversely affect accuracy? Is this one of those "You're gonna have to try it" questions?

I'm gonna have to scrounge up a set of dies, I sold my last set with my 30-30 Handi barrel, figured I'd never have another 30 WCF. DUH. So it is going to be a bit before I can load anything. In the time I'm waiting to get that part figured out, is there anything else I can do toward making this gun a cast shooter?

The sights obviously leave something to be desired. About ten years ago, I nearly knocked my eye out with a broken pull rope on a small yard tractor engine. I now have stuff floating in my eye, in addition to the focus problems that come with being over 40. Is the only way to stick ascope on this thing that silly side mount?????

Finally, What are the common hardnesses you guys are running your 30-30 bullets at, and what are you favorite powders? Thanks, John

MT Gianni
10-12-2005, 12:50 AM
My 30-30's are loaded with air cooled wheel weights and I shoot wc820, 7383
[both surplus powders] unique, 2400, rl7 aa 2015 among others. My 94 likes a 180rcbs fn at 1500 -1600 fps for the most accurate load. I can't help you with the sizing down end. gianni.

Frank46
10-12-2005, 03:15 AM
John, try loading that bullet sized to .311 into a case to see if it will chamber as it is. You may be lucky and find that the nose may be a slight interference fit. Check for rifling marks on the bore riding section of the bullet. At the very least you may see some light markings. This is good. Sort of pre engraving. Will keep the cartridge close to the center of the chamber. Like the br shooters do with their 22's and 6mm's. There may be enough wear on the throat from firing them j word bullets so the oversized bore riding section will chamber without straining things. Frank