PDA

View Full Version : 4 inlines to the range?

Willyp
10-08-2015, 01:51 PM
Our inline doe season starts soon,so i took these to the range. One is for my grandson and and the other is for his father. I figured i would shoot them and pick out the best shooters for them to use?
I load 2f Goex powder and Cheapshot sobots with a 240 grain bullet. The guns are all scoped rifles.
I shoot so much my right arm is sore from pushing the bullets down the barrel! At 50 yards i can keep the group at about 3 inches or less,at 100,it goes to 6 0r 7 inches, with a 4 power scope, maybe more? The only place you can 100 yds. here,is down a road!
A couple of times the breeze shifted,after i fired and i darn near chocked to death from the smoke cloud!!!!!
IMHO,they can't make time to come along and shoot so this is as good as Pappy is going to try to get them

johnson1942
10-08-2015, 04:07 PM
if you have 1/28 twist in your 50/s. they shoot better with a 350 to 400 grain bullets.a mmp orange sabot that takes a .458 bullet would serve you better. very tight groups at 100 yards. wipe between rounds also.

Willyp
10-09-2015, 05:29 AM
Thanks for your insight,but,my CVA Wolf manual and on line,states not to use over a 300 grain saboted bullet or bigger than a 400 grain conical bullet,in this gun!!!

OnHoPr
10-09-2015, 07:14 AM
Are you loading with the same pressure applied when seating on the powder? Did you try loads in the 5 grain increments? Did you enjoy yourself? (even after 4 black powder cleanins,lol) Range days are usually good for ones soul. You should try to get with them as their eyes of young may be slightly different. At least when you get to hunt with them you and they will be together. I don't know how old your son is, but he should start realizing this soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etundhQa724

Pyro&Black
10-09-2015, 08:59 AM
Thanks for your insight,but,my CVA Wolf manual and on line,states not to use over a 300 grain saboted bullet or bigger than a 400 grain conical bullet,in this gun!!!

Change the factory plastic sabots on those Cheapshots. Try the Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. Also make sure the bore is free of solvents, lubes or oils. Swab lightly after every 2nd shot. 91% rubbing alcohol inserted in a small spray bottle works well, followed by 1-2 dry patches.

Willyp
10-09-2015, 01:32 PM
P&B,i have been using the Crush Ribs. These are a nice loading sabot.
One Hole,yes ,i had a good time. I didn't vary my loads at all. The boys are 16 and 45. They got good eyes but can't shoot for sh(t!!!!!!!

Col4570
10-09-2015, 03:46 PM
Amen to the Harry Chapin song it has always melted me.Fathers listen to it.I am just working up a load for my 50 cal Muzzleloader 1in26" percussion rifle.I have considered sabots but never got round to it.So far I have had reasonable results with a 500 grain Paper patched Bullet but nothing spectacular.