PDA

View Full Version : Lee 456-200 Kaido Ojamaa 220gr Universal bullet

tja6435
10-07-2015, 08:40 PM
I bought this mold and thought I'd put up a quick, initial review of it.

This is the 220gr weight. I purchased it for my Ruger Old Army. It has been designed for percussion revolvers and has smaller bands at the base to make seating easier.

It casts super nicely, the best of any Lee mold I've used. The bullets fall from the mold with out necessitation of the tapper.

Itll be a month or so before I have time to shoot, so here are the pics

tja6435
10-07-2015, 08:41 PM
The smaller bullets in the pic of the pile are LBT 358-180 WFN (my for sure mold if I'm running aluminum molds for a session)

Fly
10-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Where in the world did you find that? Is Lee selling them now?

Fly

swathdiver
10-07-2015, 09:15 PM
Did Kaido say that these will work in the ROA? I have his 240 grain and .36 caliber 144 grain molds and they are simply superb in every way. On the Pietta Remington, they must be loaded off the gun unless one modifies the opening, hence why he developed the 220gr. How much do the 220s weigh after they drop from the mold?

tja6435
10-07-2015, 09:24 PM
I bought it from Kaido, he had a custom run in 220, 240 and 255. He's out of the 255gr mold but has the others and the 36 cal in stock, I believe.

And yes, it is for the Old Army, I talked to him on the phone about the molds.
The drop 219-222gr from the 8-10 I weighed

very nice mold

swathdiver
10-07-2015, 09:48 PM
Regardless of the weight, these are proven killers on big game. In my testing, they are as accurate as round ball too. Enjoy!

bp hunter
10-08-2015, 08:18 AM
Kaido's bullets are the absolute best, hardest hitting, deepest penetrating and accurate projectile made today for black powder firearms bar non. I have had the privilege of hunting wild hogs several times with Mr. Kaido Ojamaa and I have seen first hand what his projectiles can do to big mean hogs. If anyone has ever hunted the beasties then you know how tough they can be to put down. I witnessed Kaido stop a 125lb wild hog that charged us with a single shot out of his 1858 dropping the hog quickly with complete pass through penetration with just 25gr of Triple 7 behind his projectile. On another hunt he dropped a 300+ wild Eurasia boar and a 250b razorback with his projectile and 25gr of Triple 7 3fg out of his modified 1860 revolver. I was hunting with a 45 Ruger Blackhawk slinging 260gr bullets at 1350fps and tell you that Kaido's black powder 1860 and his bullets did the same job on these hogs as my magnumized 45 Colt loads. Hovey Smith achieved close to 600 fpe out of his Ruger Old Army loaded wit 35gr of Triple 7 and Kaido's 240gr bullet and successfully harvested deer and hogs with Kaido's bullet. I myself have used his projectiles in a sabot with my 50 cal pistols and rifles stuffed with generous loads of Triple 7 and have achieved tremendous accuracy and power that I was never to reach before.

If you are serious about hunting big dangerous game with a black powder handgun or rifle, do yourself a favor and buy the best that is available today, made for hunters by a hunter and field proven time and time again. Triple 7 and Kaido's bullets have propelled percussion revolvers to magnum like performance.

Keep you eyes peeled for an upcoming hog hunt that will be video taped to show the world how powerful Kaido's bullets and custom revolvers truly are. My advice to all, buy the molds NOW if you are seriously thinking of hunting with your black powder guns, you won't regret it.

tja6435
10-08-2015, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the info bp hunter, welcome to the forum btw.

I sent Kaido an email inviting him to join this forum, as I'm sure he can answer questions about his molds/bullets better than anyone else.

tja6435
10-09-2015, 08:19 PM
I have sent some of these bullets out for testing, I hope we'll get some feedback on these in the next few weeks.

rodwha
10-10-2015, 02:25 AM
Curious what testing you are having done.

tja6435
10-10-2015, 09:24 AM
Testing how they load and shoot from an Old Army

rodwha
10-10-2015, 02:04 PM
What's the charge, powder, and granulation?

I had bought some of his 240 grn version and used them in my Ruger. My loads of 3F Triple 7 were stout enough that I often had a bullet or two walk out of the chamber far enough bind it.

I tried buying a mold but he never had them and Lee kept putting him off so I went to Accurate Molds and created my own.

tja6435
10-10-2015, 06:50 PM
We'll have to wait for the guys shooting them to chime in. I won't have time for 4-5 weeks to shoot any myself.

tja6435
10-10-2015, 06:52 PM
150872456-200 next to Speer .457 round ball for comparison

tja6435
10-10-2015, 06:53 PM
150873150874Pic of bullet sitting on face of cylinder and pic of bullet ready to be seated

Fly
10-11-2015, 12:18 AM
Ya I had the same problem with the heavy bullets. I think 220 grain is the most I would ever shoot in a standard
pietta. Dragoon, that's a different cat.
Fly

rodwha
10-11-2015, 12:47 PM
Here's a pic (L to R) of my 285 grn WFN, 195 grn WFN (.460" long so as not to take up powder capacity), a .457" cast ball, and my 170 grn WFN (.400" long).

The lighter two ought to do well in a slow twist pistol I'd think. Both of mine are 1:16" and they do quite well.

Springfield
10-11-2015, 01:40 PM
I talk to Kaido every few months, just to BS. He had the 220 and the smaller 36 caliber last time we talked. He doesn't have these made in huge batches, so buy them when you can. I shoot mostly Piettas when I do C&B so I haven't bought any of his moulds yet.For CAS shooting I just do balls, we don't have to kill the target! But for hunting these seem to work very well. I watched the aforementioned video of him shooting wild pigs, pretty impressive.

tja6435
10-11-2015, 02:10 PM
Ya I had the same problem with the heavy bullets. I think 220 grain is the most I would ever shoot in a standard
pietta. Dragoon, that's a different cat.
Fly

what problem is that? I was showing how much they'll sit down into the chamber, looks like seating them should be pretty easy even with the extra tin I threw in to get the bullets to fill out nicely

Fly
10-11-2015, 02:29 PM
Are you saying those bullets cast from his mold won't work in Piettas?

Fly

rodwha
10-11-2015, 07:06 PM
Seems i I was a bit hasty and forgot to post the link to my pic:

http://i62.tinypic.com/n48fx2.jpg

old fogey
10-13-2015, 11:49 PM
Fly, yes they work with Pietta's: But you have to open up your loading port (see this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUkkCfJASDs/,) if you intend on loading them "on gun" instead of in a "off-gun" cylinder loader, but bizarrely enough if you intend to load a Pietta 1858 (my gun-) the 240's actually work better for you (ie, load easier) in the cylinder. Highly recommend his 220 and 240 bullets.

Newtire
04-06-2016, 08:28 PM
Tried to get a mould ordered but he never followed thru and I hear he's just like this & on & on. Then I hear you can get moulds from Accurate but can anyone tell me how to actually order up one of the 220 gr. Flat nose moulds? Am not getting very far.

rodwha
04-07-2016, 12:51 PM
I tried to order a 240 grn mold from him long ago but months went by with none to sell as Lee was focusing on their own products and won't make a run of his until there is enough demand.

So I went on to Accurate Molds and was able to create my own designs. I'm much more pleased with my own as I widened the meplat, reduced the lube grooves slightly as I don't see the need for gobs of lube in a short barrel, and reduced the overall length so that it didn't take up too much powder capacity, and I thought my Pietta NMA would have a slower twist (it doesn't).

The way I'm reading your question is that you want Kaido's 220 grn bullet and want it from Accurate Molds. That won't happen unless you can give him the dimensions.

He has several bullet designs to choose from meant for cap n ball or you can create your own as I did.

Newtire
04-07-2016, 03:27 PM
I tried to order a 240 grn mold from him long ago but months went by with none to sell as Lee was focusing on their own products and won't make a run of his until there is enough demand.

So I went on to Accurate Molds and was able to create my own designs. I'm much more pleased with my own as I widened the meplat, reduced the lube grooves slightly as I don't see the need for gobs of lube in a short barrel, and reduced the overall length so that it didn't take up too much powder capacity, and I thought my Pietta NMA would have a slower twist (it doesn't).

The way I'm reading your question is that you want Kaido's 220 grn bullet and want it from Accurate Molds. That won't happen unless you can give him the dimensions.

He has several bullet designs to choose from meant for cap n ball or you can create your own as I did.Thanks for the reply rodwha!
I wouldn't know the first thing about which design to use or how to design one in the first place myself. I have a Ruger OA that would likely be the main candidate. I also have a Rogers & Spencer by Euroarms that shoots round balls great so will probably just stick to those in the R & S.

I was thinking that if your design shoots good, I might try it but how to tell accurate that I'd like your design, providing you're good with that.

rodwha
04-07-2016, 06:22 PM
Do you happen to know the diameter of the chambers on your R&S? The ROA has ~0.453" chambers and calls for a bullet of about 0.456" in diameter. I wouldn't go smaller than 0.455".

Do you happen to know the twist rate of your R&S? If it's the slower twist I'd think that either my 170 or 195 grn bullets ought to do fairly well as they are no longer than a ball.

This is my 170 grn bullet:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-170C-D.png

This is my 195 grn bullet:

http://accuratemolds.com/bullet_detail.php?bullet=45-195C-D.png

Near the top is "Catalog." Click on that and start on page 10 for .45 cal bullets. They'll state they are designed for cap and ball guns, but it's possible that ones meant for a gas checks and are slightly smaller than your chamber would work well enough.

S.B.
09-18-2016, 08:08 AM
Please, post some contact info for Ojamma? I have an email address but, would like to talk to him?
Steve

Newtire
09-19-2016, 11:32 AM
Please, post some contact info for Ojamma? I have an email address but, would like to talk to him?
Steve

Here's his company name. Let me see if I can round up the email address or maybe even phone #. I'll edit this post if I can find anything.

OK, here's an email. He had a slow response so keep trying. Took me a couple of emails but I got his addy and bought the lightest of the .45 moulds. It's alot like a Lee cap & ball revolver mould in that the lower 2 lands are smaller but it also has a big flat nose. Haven't had a chance to get out and shoot it yet or even cast any as my hand is all bandaged up from Carpal Surgery. Soon as I get these stitches out, I'll wash out the mould and cast some up.

kaido93@hotmail.com

VKV Products & Services
254 Betsy Ross Drive
Orangeburg, N.Y.10962
U.S.A.

S.B.
09-19-2016, 12:15 PM
Yes, I picked up his email from the video and many thanks for your help.
Steve

bp hunter
02-14-2017, 02:12 PM
Tried to get a mould ordered but he never followed thru and I hear he's just like this & on & on. Then I hear you can get moulds from Accurate but can anyone tell me how to actually order up one of the 220 gr. Flat nose moulds? Am not getting very far.

Kaido is a straight shooter, no bs type of guy and a true sportsman, I have had the pleasure of hunting with him on several occassions. He has plenty of his molds available right now. You can contact him at kaido93@hotmail.com

rowdyjoe
07-07-2018, 02:14 AM
I received my Lee 456-220-IR mold early this week and immediately fired up the melting pot to try it out. After prepping the mold and heating the pot, I cast about 100 bullets from "pure" lead. They look great and all weighed between 221 and 223 grains with most falling near 222gr. I didn't bother to check diameter as I was "sure" they would fit the chambers of my Pietta 1858 New Army. NOT SO. I had very difficulty time getting them to start vertically when seating them into the cylinder when using the "bench loader" (off the gun). Forget about loading them on the gun as they are too tall to rotate into position under the ram.
It appears the base of the bullet is too large for the chamber mouth. My .454 RB need a lot of pressure when seating on the gun but, the bench loader helps make that a bit easier. The .456 conicals were very difficult to seat and several were badly deformed in the process. I managed to get 6 loaded but, a couple were fairly well mangled in the cylinder but, were fully seated.
With the 8.5" X 11" target at 25 yds, I had 5 hits in a wide pattern (?). Although the mold performed great and the bullets looked great, I'm afraid they just won't work in my Pietta 1858. They might work if resized to a smaller diameter (maybe .454 or .453) OR if the cylinder mouth(s) were relieved to a slightly larger diameter to allow the bullet to get a good start.
Thankfully, Lee molds are very affordable so, I've ordered the .450-200-IR which should work very well. Time will tell.

Watch your front sight,
Rowdyjoe

lonewolf172
06-03-2021, 11:35 AM
Hi all. Long time since I was last here. How do I go about ordering some samples of Kiados conicals

Nueces
10-11-2021, 04:04 PM
Hi all. Long time since I was last here. How do I go about ordering some samples of Kiados conicals

Go to etsy.com and search for kaido. I just took delivery of 100 of the 220 grain design, lubed.

Good Cheer
10-12-2021, 08:17 PM
Sizing .45 castings to fit Piettas is just too easy.

http://i.imgur.com/h8pNmSP.jpg (https://imgur.com/h8pNmSP)