PDA

View Full Version : Residual loob contaminating powder charge.

fastdadio
10-06-2015, 08:11 PM
As the title suggests. Will/can residual loob left on the boolit base contaminate the powder charge? I just finished lubing some boolits with my home made recipe and they're kind of messy. I ran them through the sizer again just to strip them off and it left just the bases sticky. What say the gurus? Load 'em or quit being so lazy and wipe the bases first?

flint45
10-06-2015, 08:21 PM
First I never had a problem with that happing .Sometimes Iwipe the bases sometimes I dont I imagine if you let your ammo get very hot it might do it but I dont let it get hot but Iwould cleen the bases if you have alot of lube I keep aold colth with some alcohol by my sizer and wipe the bases as they get sized.

Yodogsandman
10-06-2015, 08:22 PM
Not knowing the lube and knowing that it's messy, wipe the bases. If you have any loaded rounds go shoot them off and start over.

fastdadio
10-06-2015, 09:09 PM
Thank guys. Not too worried about them getting warm. It's not real thick on the bases and its quite tacky. My home loob at this time is 50/50 toilet ring & parrefin by weight plus 4 tbs cheap two stroke oil. Works well. No leading and nice groups the last 100 rounds. In fact, it's so tacky it's a pita to clean off and thats what generated this thread.

GSM
10-06-2015, 10:47 PM
Wipe the bases. Scrap of cloth or paper towel, twist, put into storage. Nothing is perfect - adapt and move on.