PDA

View Full Version : How Do you Take off Rubber Boots.

Boyscout
10-06-2015, 07:10 PM
I have a love/hate relationship with rubber boots for hunting. My question is HOW DO YOU GET THEM OFF?

I just got back from a moose hunt in Ontario and it was a real headache getting out of my Irish Setter rubber boots at the end of each day. I have been wearing some $15 dollar specials I got at Tractor Supply about 8 years ago but they dont give me the support I need.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I didn't get my moose but my brother did. Not much of a rack but the meat is absolutely delicious.

waksupi
10-06-2015, 07:19 PM
Try talcum powder inside the boots before you put them on.

Vopie
10-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Boot jack!!! how the world has changed. first project in shop class, everyone made a boot jack. Do they even have shop class anymore? New rubber boots are junk, made for yuppies walking to their mail box and kicking off. The old true ankle fit La Crosse Burly's were great hunting boots, stayed one your feet, now your foot slips in them all day and makes blisters but the yuppies don't need a jack to get 'em off...

str8shot426
10-06-2015, 07:34 PM
I have the same boots. They are a pain to put on and take off. But the reward is comfort and fit. I just sit down and go to work. Try rolling them down from the top. If they are the same as mine they have a neoprene upper.

Smoke4320
10-06-2015, 07:35 PM
I use a boot wench.. They are prettier

JSnover
10-06-2015, 08:23 PM
Talcum is good. I've also seen people put plastic bags over their socks. Makes them slide in and out of the boot nice and slick, they say.

captain-03
10-06-2015, 08:25 PM
... sorry can not help it --- one boot at a time!!

Bogart
10-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Talcum is good. I've also seen people put plastic bags over their socks. Makes them slide in and out of the boot nice and slick, they say.

The plastic bag trick works but the bag keeps in the sweat from your feet. Good for short periods but not a day of hunting or ice fishing

Omega
10-07-2015, 12:10 AM
I get boots that are a bit bigger than I need, then I wear a slick sock under my winter socks. Used that trick when we had to do our 12 and 25 mile road marches, the slick sock helps protect your foot and lets it slide out of your boot easily when done.

Col4570
10-07-2015, 03:11 AM
Get a Plank of Wood cut a Vee at one end,Nail a piece of square wood across 6" from the Vee,step on the long end and place the Boot to be removed in the Vee and Pull the Wellington off Repeat for the other foot.Very often you will find there is a welt on the Heel ideal for hooking the Vee.

robg
10-07-2015, 04:04 AM
get someone to stand in front of you facing away from you ,put your foot between their legs and get them to hold heel, put your other foot against their **** and push them away .just be sitting down at the time.simples

Boyscout
10-07-2015, 04:07 AM
I was thinking about thinner socks and a large tub of wet swamp muck. Seemed to work on my hunt. There is enough welt on the boot to engage a boot jack too.

jeepyj
10-07-2015, 06:10 AM
Like vopie I'm still using the boot jack pattern that I originally built back in shop sometime in the late seventies. They work slick. I've got one at home and camp.
jeepyj

Screwbolts
10-07-2015, 06:47 AM
Vopie is right on. For some of us, they are an everyday part of our life. There is a lot voids in today's education system.

I find it hard to imagine a Moose hunting camp without a Boot Jack by every door.

Do a search of Boot Jack on the thing called the internet and make a few for yourself. I think your problems with boot removal will be jacks away.

Ken

Shepherd2
10-07-2015, 07:08 AM
It only takes a few minutes to make a boot jack out of some scrap lumber. I use mine almost everyday.

tnaz
10-07-2015, 07:14 AM
Use an old pair of your wife's knee highs over socks.

tt

lightman
10-07-2015, 07:21 AM
Like others have said, a boot jack is the answer to your problem. Lacking a boot jack, I catch the heel against the top step and do about the same thing as the jack does.

VA Shooter
10-07-2015, 07:32 AM
Wax paper over socks keeps feet dry and foot slips right out

Ola
10-07-2015, 08:10 AM
I had to google those boots because I have never heard getting rubber boots off being such a problem. First thing that comes to mind is that you are using too small size.

Maximumbob54
10-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Those must be some world class rubber boots. I didn't know you could pay that much for rubber boots. I used a boot jack to get mine off. Bought the boots at Tractor Supply and wore them for at least half the day mucking out stables.

crowbuster
10-07-2015, 09:04 AM
nuther boot jack user here

KAF
10-07-2015, 09:42 AM
Why wear rubber boots? Buy good water proof rocky boots........

Rick Hodges
10-07-2015, 09:55 AM
Boot Jack...carries easy in the bottom of the duffle...and if the camp doesn't have one...leave it for them when you leave. Simple and cheap to make.

blackthorn
10-07-2015, 10:55 AM
At home I have a cast iron boot jack. It is cast in the shape of a giant bug with the "feelers" forming the "V" of the jack. In the bush I find the right size willow fork and just improvise on hoe to prop it up to use.

waksupi
10-07-2015, 11:54 AM
Why wear rubber boots? Buy good water proof rocky boots........

Ah, a man who has not spent much time in a corral!

Boyscout
10-07-2015, 03:42 PM
The Tractor Supply Specials don't give enough support and tear my feet up. I can pretty much kick them off. They do control scent though. The Irish Setter rubbers boots have great traction and support but are hard to get off. I will make a book jack to carry to deer camp. Swamp muck in a tub would be too heavy anyway.

I have not had a deer bust me crossing my trail in years since I started wearing them.

TXGunNut
10-08-2015, 12:24 AM
I have big calves, my last pair of rubber boots were removed thru judicious use of a hunting knife. I had some help available but to no avail. They were a cheap pair but haven't been replaced.

OldFogey
10-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Boot Jack user myself. I wear ExtraTuffs I got in Alaska. Everyone up there seems to wear them. I have had them for 10 years and still going strong.

Blackwater
10-08-2015, 09:20 AM
A good friend advises me that Muck Boots don't require any jacks or extra effort to get off, plus, they're warmer than just about any other rubber boot. Can't give any testimonials myself, though. I can't get out in the rain any more without enough repercussions to cause concern. FWIW?

fatnhappy
10-11-2015, 10:30 AM
two pairs of socks. Silk socks on the inside, wool socks on the outside. The socks slide on each other and you're pulling your foot out of the socks, not the boot.

YMMV

fouronesix
10-11-2015, 12:03 PM
Well if they are the common, laminated, calf-knee high type then just some baby powder when you put them on and a boot jack to take them off. If however they are true ankle fit hippers then there just isn't an "easy" way. If over weight or old and stiff then it's even harder. Best to have a friend's help. I spent a lot of time and miles in ankle fit hippers and know full well the reason for the original question. OHHH! getting a cramp from my foot up to my thigh right now just thinking about it :)

Just Duke
10-12-2015, 04:58 AM
I just got back from a moose hunt in Ontario and it was a real headache getting out of my Irish Setter rubber boots at the end of each day.

Great Pyrenees or Buff Mastiff have larger feet so give those boots a try.

altheating
10-12-2015, 08:51 AM
If you have never needed a boot jack your rubber boots are to big and just flop around on your feet. Good fitting rubber boots are a must for rugged ground hunting. Wish I could find the old style ankle fit Lacrosse burley's again. I bet there are a good bunch of members who are not old enough to even remember what a GOOD fitting rubber boot was, since most rubber boots are now and have been for the past twenty years made in China, with big wide ankles built into them.

gwpercle
10-12-2015, 03:55 PM
I use a boot wench.. They are prettier

He didn't miss spell that. You can place your foot on her backside for extra leverage, it helps if you are married to her but a cooperative girlfriend will work also.