PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell Sentry Eyepiece

FISH4BUGS
10-06-2015, 11:39 AM
I have a Bushnell Spotting Scope that I have had for some 30 years or more. It was used when I bought it so it must be at least 35 years old. The 20x eyepiece (which says Bushnell Sentry 20x, and which is removable) seems to have lost the teeth that engange when you try to focus. It still works but turning the eyepiece to focus is very slow and tedious to avoid wearing the teeth any more.
Anyone know where I can get a replacement eyepiece? Bushnell says no parts available for a scope that old.
Never take no for an answer!

bosterr
10-06-2015, 12:34 PM
I had a sentry 16X36 that was about 20 years old. It too lost the ability to focus so I mailed it in to Bushnell earlier this year. Under their lifetime warranty they replaced it with the new version Sentry. IMO they have little cost in these low priced scopes that they don't bother to try a repair. This new Sentry is shorter with the focus knob out at the end of the "bump". Not quite the quality as my old one, but it wasn't that great either. A couple years ago I sent in a new XLT pistol scope because of a loose eye piece and offered to pay the difference for their better Elite, they sent the Elite at no extra cost. I sent in a pair of their compact binos a while back with the same offer. They took me up on it and I got a much better set for not much extra cost.

wv109323
10-06-2015, 10:07 PM
I have seen them come up on Fleabay from time to time. If you do FLEABAY.

FISH4BUGS
10-07-2015, 07:08 PM
I have seen them come up on Fleabay from time to time. If you do FLEABAY.

I go there for Hensley & Gibbs moulds but that's about it. Thanks for the suggestion.

MaryB
10-07-2015, 10:41 PM
Sounds like a rack and pinion focuser... it might have some loose hardware and is fixable. Have a picture I could look at? The astronomy world may have something that can be used to repair it.

EDIT: I looked up the manual, it uses a helical focuser from the looks of it where you twist the eyepiece and it moves in and out. Also looked like it can be removed from the body and replaced. Question is what size threads it uses?