PDA

View Full Version : Postal Ban!!!!

Bret4207
04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
Thanks to Square Butte for alerting me to this-

Deadline for comment is tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Office Ban On Mailing Replica Or Inert Munitions

The Post Office is wading into the gun control debate. That's right, the U.S. Postal Service is trying to keep people from shipping replica or inert munitions through the mail.

They have no authority in the law, since Congress has kept for itself the power to decide what can and cannot be shipped. But the Post Office is trying to say that replica or inert munitions are hazardous!

Gun Owners of America's attorneys just found out about this outrageous proposal which was issued by the Post Office. Although the deadline for postmarking is Monday, April 7, our attorneys say that e-mails and letters should be sent anyway.

If you are a re-enactor or collector of replica or inert munitions, you are in the Post Office crosshairs. If you are not directly involved in this, you should still be outraged that a bunch of bureaucrats are trying to further restrict Second Amendment activity.

By the way, there is one interesting dimension to all of this: Canada wants the US to help shut off shipment of these items into Canada. So it looks like our bureaucrats are eager to appease other governments by changing our laws to make them as bad as our neighbors'.

You can read the Postal Service proposed regulations here: http://uxoinfo.com/blogcfc/client/enclosures/Proposed-Ban_ShippingInert.pdf

You can read GOA's comments to the Postal Service here: http://www.gunowners.org/fs0803.pdf

ACTION: Please send your comments to the Post Office ASAP. The letter mustbe postmarked by Monday, April 7, 2008.

Here's the contact information.

TITLE: 73 Fed. Reg. 12321: New Standards Prohibit the Mailing of Replica or Inert Munitions

E-MAIL: michael.f.lee@usps.gov

SNAIL MAIL:
Manager, Mailing Standards
United States Postal Service
475 L'Enfant Plaza, S.W., Room 3436
Washington, DC 20260-3436

Scrounger
04-06-2008, 02:48 PM
To no one's surprise, that doesn't make any sense at all, inasmuch as it is perfectly legal for anyone to mail a rifle to an FFL or repair facility or even to himself, and dealers can send handguns to each other. But, like I said, who's surprised?

mike in co
04-06-2008, 03:00 PM
fewer rules are better,, not more.
here is my reply....

Mr Lee,

I'm sorry to hear the American free enterprise has impacted your business. Maybe if you did some retraining, invest in proper equipment and some common sense, these issues would have less impact on you and your employees.
The objects themselves have no hazard in shipment, neither to you, your emplyees, nor your equiptment. I do not believe any of these replica or inert munitions were shipped without packaging. If you, your employees and your equipment were not DAMAGING packages to the point that the contents were exposed to your employees there would be no problem.
So instead of applying a band-aid to a symptom, why not CORRECT the real problem. The real problem is the inability of your business to handle packages without damaging them. You do not need any new rules; you need to operate as designed. Deliver packages, on time, without damage, for a fair charge. Pretty simple. USPS might try following the lead of companies like FEDERAL EXPRESS, and UNITED PARCEL SERVICE, two companies that seem to make a profit, deliver on time, and without limiting the services to thier CUSTOMERS caused by poor service from the EMPLOYEES.
So least there be any question, you have no need for another restriction on shipping perfectly safe consumer products through the U S mail.

thank you for your time,
part time causal postal employee,

the following was not encluding, but true:

(ok the stupid ups charging extra for shipping pistols because thier own employees were stealing them is an exception.)

mike in co

leftiye
04-06-2008, 03:55 PM
We need an oversight department in the government to limit administrative lawmaking. That's if alternatively we can't get rid of administrative lawmaking altogether. Since when is it constitutional for the administrative branch to make laws?

sundog
04-06-2008, 04:44 PM
Actually Leftiye, what we need is not a new department (don't grow goobermint), but line item legislation. That's NOT line item veto. LINE ITEM LEGISLATION (with recorded votes).

jhrosier
04-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Why do I suspect that "inert munitions" will include cast boolits?

Jack

square butte
04-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Add brass to that!

NSP64
04-06-2008, 07:46 PM
Mr. Lee,
Your proposed BAN on shipment of Inert and Replica munitions is absurd. I Mail approximately $300.00 of Inert munitions every year. I would still ship them if they are banned (through FedEx or UPS). So, a few years from now when they eliminate the USPS (and your pension) you can look back at the decline in revenue and know how it came to be. With everyone going to electronic mail, billpay,shopping, tax returns, I would think you would be trying to increase business, not eliminate your own job.That is why I'm E-mailing you, as in the future I will avoid the USPS entirely if this proposal goes through.
Sincerely, An American Taxpayer (YOUR BOSS)

What I just sent:-D

floodgate
04-06-2008, 08:10 PM
Unfortunately, all too much legislation includes the weasel phrase: "...and such other regulations as the Secretary (in his infinite wisdom) shall prescribe..."

We desperately need (a) much tighter and more succinct wording in ALL new laws, and (b) "sunset provisions" (like the one that ended the national assault rifle ban) in ALL regulatory legislation.

Other countries deal with the problem in other ways:

Germany: "All that is not expressly permitted by law, is forbidden..."

France: "All that is not expressly forbidden, is permitted..."

Italy: "Nothing is really forbidden, if you know the right people..."

floodgate

Rayber
04-06-2008, 08:25 PM
Just a quick thought....
Does this mean all the Christmas toys that are replicas will be band also. There are dozens of these toys that look extremely real. (I don't care for them)
Put the replica in a xmas box and call it a toy.

I like the line using e-mail, Fedex and UPS and letting the USPS die. DOn't hold your breath, they will come up with a no competition law.

leftiye
04-07-2008, 01:49 AM
Heard somewhere that the executive branch of the federal government writes 1000 pages of administrative law PER DAY!!!

S.R.Custom
04-07-2008, 03:13 AM
...They have no authority in the law, since Congress has kept for itself the power to decide what can and cannot be shipped. But the Post Office is trying to say that replica or inert munitions are hazardous!

So what you're saying is that these proposed restrictions are not law, but just Postal Service Rules? If that's the case, I full well intend to ignore them. ;)

Jim
04-07-2008, 08:46 PM
T'ell wit USPS.

fatnhappy
04-07-2008, 09:16 PM
Here I thought inert meant harmless. Thank God someone from the govt straightened that out for me.

Red River Rick
04-07-2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks to Square Butte for alerting me to this-

By the way, there is one interesting dimension to all of this: Canada wants the US to help shut off shipment of these items into Canada. So it looks like our bureaucrats are eager to appease other governments by changing our laws to make them as bad as our neighbors'.

Gentlemen:

Does that suprise you! Just another stick in eye for us Canadian Gun Owner. They've already stripped us naked with "Bill C-68" and this is just another step to make it all that much more harder for us Canucks.

To be honest, if wasn't for our southern neighbours, we'd have "NO" reloading components here in "Mooseland".

It's getting tougher and lot more expensive to reload here in Canada, you guys in the U.S. should be thankful. Supplies are readily available and at competitive prices. I pay $40 for lb. of IMR, LR Primers are $40 M, 209's are almost $65.

I agree, if this passes into law, we'll all be screwed. So, don't try to please the "Anti-Gunners" in Ottawa or Washington, please yourselfs. Some of us Canucks are counting on your support. Our fight to keep our firearms has been a tough one. Don't get caught in the same "TRAP".

RRR

Baron von Trollwhack
04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
OH, I sent that M. Lee/USPS a citizen like blast.
But the suprising thing was that the various pro-gun orgs I give MY MONEY TO were not ahead of this, and that includes that fat, dumb and happy nra bunch.
30 years ago I was scanning proposed regs for Navy so they could be aware of all the *uckedupedness the rest of the gubmint was seeking to impose.
One would thing that a number of our pro gun outfits would be watchful after that national fire code crap 15 years ago on powder and primers and the recent osha and dot arm waving.
BvT

pumpguy
04-07-2008, 10:25 PM
"So what you're saying is that these proposed restrictions are not law, but just Postal Service Rules? If that's the case, I full well intend to ignore them." by Supermag

Ditto.

leftiye
04-08-2008, 05:00 PM
They's "tools."

Old Ironsights
04-08-2008, 05:37 PM
... But the suprising thing was that the various pro-gun orgs I give MY MONEY TO were not ahead of this, and that includes that fat, dumb and happy nra bunch....

After everything the NRA has done to us in the past year with HR 2640, you find this surprising? :-?

www.NRAWOL.net