PDA

View Full Version : my mould is on the way

redneckdan
10-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Midway just shipped my order today. I'm getting a lee 230gr T.C. tumble lube and 2 bottle of lee alox. I'm itchin to put some rounds down range. I'm using the ladle pour method now, I've only done bottom pour before, any tips on ladle pour technique?

NVcurmudgeon
10-12-2005, 12:17 AM
Dan, Every mould is a law unto itself. Standard recommended procedure is to turn the mould 90 degrees, connect the dipper, let the mould fill, and pour a good sprue when withdrawing the dipper. This may work or not. I use the slop pour method on most of my moulds. I hold the mould level, pour with the dipper outlet 1/4 or 1/2" above the mould, let a good sprue form, and tap the mould HANDLES on the edge of the pot to settle the alloy. Different moulds will prefer different temperatures, with aluminum moulds liking hot alloy. (That's because aluminum disapates heat faster than steel.) You have to try dfferent techniques and go with what works best for you. I usually manage 15-20 fillings of the mould between fluxings. as soon as i have filled the mould, I rake the crud to one side to leave a clean spot for the next dipping. That allows the sprue to freeze. I like the RCBS dipper with the fin on the bottom for that reason. Once you get started, other questions will occur to you-that's what we're here for. Good luck.