PDA

View Full Version : Do You Get Advise At The Range?

Yodogsandman
10-05-2015, 11:31 AM
Yesterday, at the pistol range, another guy shooting a 1911 told me he was a reloader, too. I asked him which powder he would suggest for a 45ACP that would burn clean. He told me to try CFE Pistol, it cleans out the barrel of any copper fouling and lead. Really?, I thought!

A few weeks ago, same range, I was told that I just had to get a Lee "Belly Buster" die because of the waist in my 45ACP reloads. It could cause my gun to jam! Really?, I thought!

Ola
10-05-2015, 11:42 AM
Of course I get advise. From those that KNOW more than I do. The other kind of advise, we'll, I try to be polite and correct them. Luckily meeting a total idiot giving advise is quite rare here.

Markbo
10-05-2015, 11:46 AM
Having a white beard and gray hair I get very little advice at the range anymore. I do get asked occasionally and IF I know anything I happily share what I know. If I don't, "I don't know" is a perfectly good answer.

country gent
10-05-2015, 11:47 AM
I get advise and also will offer help information if there appears to be a need. I enjoy talking to new members and others at the club I belong to. Sometimes it helps sometimes it dosnt.

Love Life
10-05-2015, 11:51 AM
Not usually. When I do, I thank the person for their advice whether it was useful to me or not. Then I get back to the business of shooting.

2wheelDuke
10-05-2015, 11:55 AM
I get advice at the range all the time. My decision to heed it or not depends alot on who is giving it and how much respect I have for their knowledge of that topic.

For example, Joe holds most of the match records at my club. I'm very likely to take Joe's advice into consideration.

brtelec
10-05-2015, 12:00 PM
I can not remember the last time someone attempted to give me advice at the range. I usually do not hand out unsolicited advice either. Unless of course some one is about to hurt themselves. About a month ago I stopped the guy next to me from firing a PPK with his weak hand thumb in direct line with the rear of the slide.

garym1a2
10-05-2015, 12:13 PM
I get advice at USPSA matches all the time. Since many of them are better than me I listen, except for those that say Cast is bad in a Glock.

Chili
10-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Sometimes I get unsolicited advice. My favorite was a youngster tactical guy telling my AR15 would stop jamming if I quit using the metal GI mags and switch to P-Mags. Too bad I didn't capture the lost look on his face when I explained the rifle "jammed" because reloads were being tested and he saw me using loads light enough to extract and eject, but not pick up and chamber a new round.

popper
10-05-2015, 12:53 PM
his weak hand thumb in direct line with the rear of the slide.
Or going to check targets before cease fire is called!

lefty o
10-05-2015, 12:58 PM
not to get into the getting unsolicited advice thing, but if you read the annual hodgon manuals they had an article on cfe pistol, and flatly state it does work on copper fouling, but does absolutely nothing for lead.

Charley
10-05-2015, 01:01 PM
not to get into the getting unsolicited advice thing, but if you read the annual hodgon manuals they had an article on cfe pistol, and flatly state it does work on copper fouling, but does absolutely nothing for lead.
Which is really interesting, Hogdon has a fair amount of data for CFE Pistol with cast bullets! Doesn't remove lead, but can be used to push them down bore!

Vann
10-05-2015, 01:32 PM
I'm in my late 30's now. So I don't get as much advice as I used to. When I was in my 20's I got advice all the time until they saw my shooting. I think I shot so bad they figured that no advice in the world could help. I keep my mouth shut at the range unless I see someone who really needs help or they ask for it.

williamwaco
10-05-2015, 01:52 PM
Don't accept. Don't offer. If asked, if possible i reply i don't know.

Ocasionally i get trapped, then I tell the truth.

The universal answer to 99% of all questions about reloading is . . .

It depends.

starnbar
10-05-2015, 02:06 PM
I was at the range in 1971 when an older gentleman suggested that I change my grip on my gov 1911 he showed me a better hand hold which I still employ today the gentleman's name was Joe Benner.

gray wolf
10-05-2015, 02:43 PM
Was shooting next to a guy, he was shooting a Springfield Operator 1911 45 acp.

He looked down at my holster and had an attack --- Holly cow he said !!! Man do you know the hammer is cocked on your pistol.

My pistol was my carry Springfield 1911-A1 sitting happily in my holster, cocked and locked.

I thanked him, and I thought for a second, Tick/Tock -- should I say anything ? I answered myself with a no and continued my practice from the holster.

I spend more time at the range teaching others --- sometimes more than I do shooting, I love to do it.

But Sometimes the blank look on someones face just tells me to move on and create distance.
Hours of explanations many times goes NO place.

Fishman
10-05-2015, 02:46 PM
I enjoy talking to people at the range when I'm not shooting. Sometimes it pays to be sociable and if not, it's still good manners.

runfiverun
10-05-2015, 02:50 PM
CFE actually uses lead to scrub out the copper [it's a secret so don't tell nobody]

advice eh, opinion maybe,,, but I don't get asked for no advice.
nobody else there is shooting cast boolits in their rifles at jacketed speeds so I got nuthin to tell em anyway.

gwpercle
10-05-2015, 04:50 PM
I try not to look like I want or need advice. Not making direct eye contact helps. But sometimes they can't help but come over and give you advice, problem is the advice givers usually have no idea what they're talking about. Don't contradict them, let them talk, nod in agreement, say thank you and try to get them to go away. Whatever you do don't argue with them, that just encourages them to show off more ignorance.
The guy to get advce from is the old guy , off by himself, that can shoot tiny groups and has older guns that look like they have been used but abused. That's the guy that usually knows something.
Gary

standles
10-05-2015, 05:23 PM
Usually when that happens to me I make some comment about how they should treat their wife/girlfriend or they should lose weight/ not drink so much etc. It usually prompts "that's none of your business". Then I say my shooting habits are none of yours but that didn't stop you from offering advice either did it?

Blammer
10-05-2015, 05:38 PM
Yep, see my sig line.

shooter93
10-05-2015, 05:53 PM
One piece of advice I will give is at the trap range. I see way to many guys who take their girl friend or wife to shoot. They hand them a 12 ga. with full high velocity loads and the gun is stocked wayyyyyyy to long for them. It beats them to death. That won't get anyone interested in shooting. I always take along a Grulla 20 ga. with me that has had the stock shortened for smaller people and let them use it with light loads and coach them a bit. A gun that fits and doesn't beat them allows them to hit the birds and makes a convert out of them.

There was one other time when a Father had his daughter shooting various loads for her 308 for deer season approaching. The first few loads were mild but very accurate and as he upped the powder charge I could see the girl starting to flinch. I did suggest that the first few loads were more than adequate for deer and to watch that she didn't develop a flinch. He was very nice about it and decided on using the lighter loads.

JSnover
10-05-2015, 06:28 PM
Years ago I almost advised someone not to wipe their cases with ATF before each shot from a T/C (can't remember the cartridge, just that it was bottle-necked and bigger than a .223). He claimed it was too hard to extract otherwise and "all my buddies do it." By the time I finished shooting and packed up my stuff, he was still at it.
I guess it worked out ok but I've never seen that before or since.

blademasterii
10-05-2015, 06:29 PM
I've only ever offered advice after some conversation without it first. If I don't feel my advice will be well received I don't offer it. It is unusual for me to get offered real advice, so no on that aspect. The "advice" I usually get is "Those are illegal" Followed by a confused look as I attempt to explain NFA laws. Nothing quite like the grin on someones face when you ask if they would like to try a few shots with your suppressed 308. Or shoot the popper plates with a suppressed .22 or .357 rifle.

DCP
10-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Was shooting next to a guy, he was shooting a Springfield Operator 1911 45 acp.

He looked down at my holster and had an attack --- Holly cow he said !!! Man do you know the hammer is cocked on your pistol.

My pistol was my carry Springfield 1911-A1 sitting happily in my holster, cocked and locked.

I thanked him, and I thought for a second, Tick/Tock -- should I say anything ? I answered myself with a no and continued my practice from the holster.

I spend more time at the range teaching others --- sometimes more than I do shooting, I love to do it.

But Sometimes the blank look on someones face just tells me to move on and create distance.
Hours of explanations many times goes NO place.

I had to laugh at what you posted. Here is why.
A range i go to doesn't allow any loaded weapons except at the firing line.
You may not draw and fire from a holster.
You may not carry period.
No loaded weapons past the firing line or behind the firing line

They say it an insurance problem.

Thanks for help making my day

marvelshooter
10-05-2015, 06:35 PM
When I first started shooting Bullseye I was advised by just about everybody to ditch the Ruger Mark ll and get a real target pistol. I didn't listen and soon started beating most of them which put an end to the "advice".

quilbilly
10-05-2015, 06:36 PM
I enjoy talking to people at the range when I'm not shooting. Sometimes it pays to be sociable and if not, it's still good manners. Absolutely! Chatting is half the fun at the range on weekdays since most are as old as I am (especially a very crusty retired old merchant seaman who shoots amazing things and thinks shooting cast is amazing).

Uncle R.
10-05-2015, 06:58 PM
I'm getting pretty old and pretty grey to be offered advice, and it doesn't happen much any more. Even when I was a young man I was a certified gun crank and from the time I could read I pored over every book, every article, every magazine I could find about guns and shooting. By the time I was fifteen I probably knew a lot more than the average shooter, but even so I wasn't nearly the expert I thought I was. I was a typical teenager.

As I grew older I realized more and more that I knew less and less. There have been a few I've met at the range over the years who quietly taught me a thing or two, and I was always grateful to learn something new. There have been a few of the other kind too - the loud mouthed idiot type - but I soon enough learned that arguing with them was futile. As so many others here have suggested, the thing to do is thank them for their advice and hope they go away.

I'll try to help someone if they ask, but I generally don't offer unsolicited advice. Sometimes if the "victim" of some fool's ignorance is a new shooter or a child I can't resist a verbal intervention. If offered in the right manner it might be accepted, might help. It's worth a try to help a kid.

Uncle R.

OnHoPr
10-05-2015, 07:09 PM
I have got advise and have given it. But, the circumstances and content have varied in one direction more than the other. I have gave a little advise sometimes, but not to often, something like the DNR ranges where I go just before deer season there are a lot of people shooting shotguns with slugs. The bottom half of the lower is shotgun, muzzleloader, straight walled pistol, and new this year rifle cartridges smaller than 1.8". So, I see people shooting fosters out of rifled barrels, hey leading after about 10 bockses. I see the same with sabot ammo and they never wipe the bore for plastic fouling and shoot 4 bockses in about 10 minutes with thin barrels. Now when you are sighting in a thin tube gun with plastic sabot and the barrel is starting to get hot enough to need a heat shield, I kinda give a little hint, especially when their $12 a bocks and they can't keep them on a paper plate at 50 yds with a scoped gun. You know sometimes when it is really obvious and they are really trying. But, a lot of the times I kinda like WilliamWaco's post.

I ask for advise now and then as well, not very often in most matters. But, when I see a gent that is always at the range 10 years my senior with a different barrel on a Copper action every couple of weeks shooting very small groups with cals up to a 30-338 with a very smooth shooting style, I have asked him a few questions and got short condensed, not complicated answers to ponder on.

Then like Fishman's post there has been the polite interaction of mentioning a few things of conversation.

There is a range officer that tries to get me, politely, into his/region muzzleloader club. But, it is cap or flint and being a southpaw I really don't care to get into that style unless I had a lefty cap rifle. After a couple of sets of peppered glasses I went inline. But, we still talk about muzzle loaders a bit. I have been thinking on taking him up on his offer to get the Holy Black @ $11 lb when the club does they group buys.

rondog
10-05-2015, 07:24 PM
I'm old enough to have learned to avoid other shooters whenever possible and shoot by myself. Fortunately, my club range has a couple dozen separate, individual ranges of different distances so getting one all to yourself is rarely a problem. There's no RO's to breathe down your neck, and pretty much anything is allowed except artillery and shooting garbage. Just be safe and police up after yourself, and everyone's happy happy happy!

Markbo
10-05-2015, 08:30 PM
....The guy to get advce from is the old guy , off by himself, that can shoot tiny groups and has older guns that look like they have been used but abused. That's the guy that usually knows something.....

You reminded me of a time. Father & son next to me shooting ARs with open sighs @ 50 yds. Every inch of paper had holes in. To say they shot patterns would be way too generous. They were using the ranges cheapie scope and I noticed he was looking at my target and whispering to his son, snickering. Showing off he stood up, puffed up his chest and said something like "Mister if you would aim that little gun (I was shooting a custom 10/22) at one spot you might put some shots close to each other!"

I smiled. Asked his son to come over and look through my Nikon spotting scope. He jumped up and yelled for the world to hear..."Dad those arent shots...those are groups...one hole groups!!"

Dad got mad and grabbed his spotting scope, twisting the focus like crazy. Then he started packing up, muttering about what a rotten range this was with their *** scopes....muttered all the way until he disappered into his car, still muttering. I just smiled & waved. I smiled all day. :D

JeffinNZ
10-05-2015, 08:43 PM
I don't make for very company at the range generally. I have very limited time and what to do what I have to be done and go home. If folk show interest in what I am doing I will happily talk to them but for the most part I just want to be left to shoot.

TXGunNut
10-05-2015, 08:47 PM
I'm a bit gray and crusty but I'm learning to play a new game (trap) and my club has quite a few very good trap shooters. I shot a big match this past weekend and shot very poorly for a number of reasons. I got lots of sincere advice and listened intently to each "coach". I've learned that like any other discipline there are different ways of shooting well and I need to figure out what works for me. I'm pretty sure I've gotten some very good advice, just need to sort it out and apply it.

winchester85
10-05-2015, 09:14 PM
many years ago i was doing load development with my 338 model 70. i was not getting what i was looking for, the best i could do with 5 shot groups was just over 1 moa. the local range jerk told me that my rifle wasn't heavy enough, that he doesn't consider anything under 15 pounds a good hunting rifle. he also told me what bullets to use, what powder to use, what primer to use, just about everything. he must have missed the part of me ignoring him.

when i used to go to a public range i often was asked for advice. they would see my one hole group with my 308, or my 1/2 moa group with the xp-100. one time during the few days prior to opening of rifle season i took my 1885 winchester, iron sights at 100 yards. i shot a better group than anyone there that day with their scoped rifles. i got everything from dirty looks to looks of astonishment. have had more than one person ask me to sight in their rifle for them.

David2011
10-05-2015, 09:34 PM
I'm a bit gray and crusty but I'm learning to play a new game (trap)

Hey, me too. I'm fortunate to have a young friend that won a Texas ATA championship a few years ago. While I've taught him a little about guns and handloading, he has taught me a great deal about shooting shotguns. I ran my first 25 straight about 2 months after my first round of trap. Prior to that I had probably not fired over 100-125 shots from shotguns in my life. I'm always open to that quality of advice.

David

JWFilips
10-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Having a white beard and gray hair I get very little advice at the range anymore. I do get asked occasionally and IF I know anything I happily share what I know. If I don't, "I don't know" is a perfectly good answer.

Same here! However I do get the "look" when I'm shooting 5 gr of Red Dot in my GEW98 with 130 grain cast and the occasional is everything ok?
Until I bring up my targets! Just love it!

Bazoo
10-05-2015, 09:47 PM
Im blessed that i've always had a private farm to shoot on. I've never been to a public range, and hope I never have to. I have given some advice on the states gun laws when in stores and overheard the clerk mis-informing someone. Clerk gave me a dirty look, but the guy got solid info.

swheeler
10-05-2015, 09:49 PM
Not much advice at the range, I can just put plugs under the muffs. Here I just have to skip the unwanted posts;-)

tmax64
10-05-2015, 10:23 PM
Ran into an elderly gent one time at the Peterson Air Force base trap range who asked if I wanted to shoot a round with him. Gladly agreed and it turned out he was the just retired coach for the Olympic skeet team. First round I broke about 15-20 out of 50 and the 2nd round with him I hit 32. He showed his "9-iron" shot, he flipped a golf ball in the air and knocked it out of sight first try. Would have loved to shoot a few more rounds with him. He taught me more that 1st round in 10-15 minutes than anyone before or since.

opos
10-05-2015, 10:25 PM
I go alone....I shoot alone...I keep to myself and wear muffs that are not the sound control muffs..mine are blocking all sounds at all times...I'm an old man...I look old and hopefully when someone tries to talk to me and I just say huh? they get the idea..anti social? yep..very...

At one range where I shoot there are a couple of old geezers like me..they split the cost of a lane...one old guy insists on wandering around back behind the line while the other guy is shooting...he carries his pistol around with him....he walked up and stood behind me with pistol in hand to watch me shoot. I simply laid my gun down...loudly called a cease fire and got the RSO to clear him out.....No reason for me to have words with him..he's probably as deaf as I am.

MaryB
10-05-2015, 10:31 PM
At the pistol range, guy unpacks a bunch of super tactical pistol cases and glocks. He looks over at my $10 WalMart pistol case and my $100 HiPoint and proceeds to tell me that gun will blow up when you shoot it and it is so inaccurate you won't hit anything. He starts shooting at the 20 yard flip down steel plates and misses 4 out of 5 for about 8 mags in a row. I load up my mags while he is shooting and then proceed to drop 5 of 5, 4 of 5, 5 of 5, 5 of 5 before needing to reload my 4 mags again...

He looked at me, packed up in huff and left... it isn't the high dollar toys, it is how you use them!

Rufus Krile
10-05-2015, 11:48 PM
Ran into an elderly gent one time at the Peterson Air Force base trap range who asked if I wanted to shoot a round with him. Gladly agreed and it turned out he was the just retired coach for the Olympic skeet team. First round I broke about 15-20 out of 50 and the 2nd round with him I hit 32. He showed his "9-iron" shot, he flipped a golf ball in the air and knocked it out of sight first try. Would have loved to shoot a few more rounds with him. He taught me more that 1st round in 10-15 minutes than anyone before or since. That'd be Lloyd Woodhouse... a true gentleman and great coach. I shot with Lloyd back when he was in the Air Force in San Antonio back in the 70's... shooting an old Kreighoff that was probably as old as he was.

458mag
10-06-2015, 09:18 AM
I go to the range to shoot. My time there is limited and pressiuos so I don't relish having to stop shooting and answer questions. But when I do I am polite and help in any way I can. I have never been given advice but have offered it when asked. Like one of the other post I am usually the guy there with the older more obscure firearms such as an 1894 Winchester with a period scope mounted or the 1910 ross also with a period scope along with my battle dress 03-a3. It seems when they see these old guns with an old man they figure your the guy to ask questions.

starmac
10-06-2015, 01:15 PM
Nope. It is rare that I go to the public range, and it is even rarer that I get out of the pickup once I do.
I have never been big on shooting with lots of company, so when there is over a half dozen folks there, I usually just circle the lot and leave, if there is les I will sit and watch a while before unloading, depending on the people, I may shoot, or just leave after a few minutes. So there is not much chance of getting or giving advice. lol

Ola
10-06-2015, 01:30 PM
You guys seem to be very anti-social.

For me going to the range is maybe 80% shooting and 20% meeting friends. Even if I'm training seriously, I appreciate the help of a spotter. So Ido not mind if there is people around.

popper
10-06-2015, 02:03 PM
Rifle range filled pretty fast this morning, talked to a few regulars, met a fellow caster and PC'r. Fortunately the youngster with the 300WM was at the other end.

trapper9260
10-06-2015, 02:05 PM
At the pistol range, guy unpacks a bunch of super tactical pistol cases and glocks. He looks over at my $10 WalMart pistol case and my $100 HiPoint and proceeds to tell me that gun will blow up when you shoot it and it is so inaccurate you won't hit anything. He starts shooting at the 20 yard flip down steel plates and misses 4 out of 5 for about 8 mags in a row. I load up my mags while he is shooting and then proceed to drop 5 of 5, 4 of 5, 5 of 5, 5 of 5 before needing to reload my 4 mags again...

He looked at me, packed up in huff and left... it isn't the high dollar toys, it is how you use them!

I am glad that you did teach someone something new.Also you did in there ego.:bigsmyl2:
As for the range i go to, there is no one that I do not want there .it is my back yard.i like it that way.No one to put up with or try to build up there ego.

Lance Boyle
10-06-2015, 02:18 PM
I have guys with AR carbines with all the bolt on do dads tell be I should switch to a flat top with an aimpoint a Acog or Eotek. I watch them shoot large groups on big pistol silhouette targets. Then I shoot my A2 with irons and shoot mostly 10s and some 9's on the reduced high power target.

I try to mind my own business unless asked or see someone making a safety mistake.

Plate plinker
10-06-2015, 06:34 PM
My unwanted advice came from a know it all at a USPSA match. Normally I shoot Single stack and have a rig I like for that, but one day I gathered up a Glock 35 with assorted mag pouches and a FOBUS paddle holster which I am not real fond of. Start of the run (BUZZ) I unholster the 35 and low and behold the holster came up with the gun. Finished up and the know-it-all starts in on how the holster should be worn. At which time I reply that I didn't recall asking for any advice but, thats how it was and the holster failed. Result was silence and snickers from the rest of the Squad.....

JSnover
10-06-2015, 06:41 PM
You guys seem to be very anti-social.

For me going to the range is maybe 80% shooting and 20% meeting friends. Even if I'm training seriously, I appreciate the help of a spotter. So Ido not mind if there is people around.
In the beginning I was surprised at how readily a group of strangers would talk to each other. It was nice. Something changed at some point. I hate to say it but only half seem worth talking to now. I tend to watch them for a bit to see if they know what they're doing.

Der Gebirgsjager
10-06-2015, 07:20 PM
The last time I visited our club range this happened: I had 3 or 4 rifles in the firing line's rifle rack behind my shooting bench. Along comes a fellow in his late 50s and spies an M1 Garand in the rack. He does ask if he can handle it, and I said, "O.K.". He picks it up, complements me on what a nice stock it has, and then despite the fact I'm at least 20 years older than him he starts to lecture me about the M1. Probably never occurred to him that I might have used one extensively in the military before he was born. Well, he's rattling along about how my H&R is really a mix master of parts, which it is as I bought the receiver and assembled the entire thing from parts on hand in my shop a couple of winters ago. If you're not familiar with M1 parts, the major parts all have a drawing number on them and you can tell where they came from, like if it's SA--Springfield Armory, HR--Harrington & Richardson, etc. Then he peers into the "window" at the barrel information that's visible beneath the operating rod when the bolt is open, expecting to see something like SA-53 for a re-barrel date, but doesn't see anything he recognizes. He chokes and sputters a bit, turns red, sets the rifle down and walks off. Didn't even say, "Nice to meet you." When I built the rifle up I re-barreled it with a Criterion barrel
and it has their own number of some sort, but didn't fit anything that he knew about or recognized, and he just became at a loss for words and further wisdom. Sometimes they seem to seek one out.

tommag
10-06-2015, 07:35 PM
Does "Go home" count as advice? If so, I get lots of advice.

StratsMan
10-06-2015, 07:44 PM
Does "Go home" count as advice? If so, I get lots of advice.

Now that's funny right there... Scary, but funny....

I don't mind giving advice, especially to 'noobs who are about to hurt themselves... The 'noob next to me who was holding his weak-side thumb across the back of the pistol, about to get his thumb sliced... He appreciated being told how to hold the gun so he wouldn't bleed, as it did leave him bleeding the last time he went shooting.... Then there were the guys who just bought brand new AR's at the gun show and couldn't figure out why they wouldn't run... They noticed that mine worked every time, so they appreciated the advice I gave them and the oil I put on their carriers....

Mauser48
10-06-2015, 07:45 PM
I have shot trap for a while then when I went to the sporting clay range for the first time one gentleman gave me SO much advise. It made me a tremendously better shooter. It bothers me though when people try to give me advice or critique me on something when they don't even know what they are talking about.

Clay M
10-06-2015, 08:03 PM
I have my own range , so I only get advice from the blue skies and hawks that fly overhead..

Just the way I like it..

That way I can focus..

It is all about Zen, and getting the mechanics of my body to cooperate..

Shooting is probably the most relaxing thing I do.

Playing jazz also requires focus..

I have to be connected either way..

jcwit
10-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Believe it or not, there are times I actually listen to others at the range, and there are times I actually learn something. Then there are times I have others who listen to me and they actually learn something.

Works both ways.

daniel lawecki
10-06-2015, 08:13 PM
If it a safety issue I speak up but for the most part I keep to my self.

Markbo
10-06-2015, 08:15 PM
In the beginning I was surprised at how readily a group of strangers would talk to each other. It was nice. Something changed at some point. I hate to say it but only half seem worth talking to now. I tend to watch them for a bit to see if they know what they're doing.

You got older. ;)

JSnover
10-06-2015, 08:19 PM
You got older. ;)
Boy, I sure did!

rmatchell
10-06-2015, 08:37 PM
I dont normally give or take advice at the range. Im to busy sweeping up brass when im there. I almost never go to public ranges because I can shoot at home. I only go on the weekends when the kids come out to play and dont clean up.

armexman
10-07-2015, 02:02 PM
RD, I too shoot at a somewhat private range and can't stand the wait till we close our fall funding collection shooting to the general public.

TXGunNut
10-07-2015, 10:41 PM
I enjoy visiting at the range, sometimes my shooting buddy and I squander most of our shooting time talking but I've learned quite a bit from this old guy and listening to him is generally more fun than shooting anyway. We don't generally shoot much anyway.

MaryB
10-07-2015, 10:51 PM
The old guys at my range I listen to. Most of them are not the gun snob types and they don't care what you shoot as long as you do it properly. I explained the problem I was having getting my head down to the scope since neck surgery and one of them had me stand a little different and that gave me the 1/2 inch I needed to be able to see. I do have higher rings on couple of the rifles but this one I didn't and it was a great help. Basically had me stand so my shoulder and the stock dropped a bit. I wouldn't want to shoot a high power rifle that way but this was on my 10/22.

dragon813gt
10-07-2015, 10:56 PM
I'm not antisocial. I just refuse to engage w/ mouth breathing morons. And unfortunately a lot of firearm owners fall into this category. I have a small group of friends and that's who I enjoy spending time w/. I can read people really well because of my job. If they aren't one of the morons I will gladly talk to them and take any advice to heart. But these interactions are few and far between. I only go to private ranges but they're getting worse every year. That's what happens when the board just wants to increase membership to bring in more revenue. And don't even get me started on Shotgunners.....

TXGunNut
10-08-2015, 12:10 AM
Agreed, to a point, dragon813gt. I refuse to engage with folks who firmly believe they know much more about guns than I do.
I respectfully disagree with you about shotgunners but I understand your viewpoint. My club has historically been run by shotgunners. I figure as a dues-paying member I'm part owner of a very good shotgun facility so by golly I'm going to learn to shoot a shotgun!
Only shooters I have a problem with is a few of the benchrest shooters at our club. Most have a know-it-all attitude but can't explain why a certain BC or SD or velocity works better than another. Many can't tell me what twist rate barrel they are shooting or why their cleaning regimen makes sense. We had a new record group fired at our club awhile back and now our BR shooters are pretty full of themselves. Just wish they wouldn't fiddle with their rifles while I'm downrange. I've been conditioned to return fire and even @ 100 yds with my shorty 45 they're in range!

Yodogsandman
10-08-2015, 05:25 AM
Just wish they wouldn't fiddle with their rifles while I'm downrange.

I have a "talk" with violators, lets call it their best advise of the day. I won't tolerate it! If someone seems like they don't know any better, I'll say something before going down range.

dragon813gt
10-08-2015, 11:56 AM
than I do.
I respectfully disagree with you about shotgunners but I understand your viewpoint.

I will say that the attitude is range dependent around me. The sporting clays club I belong to is full of nice people. They also have skeet towers. They are open for night shoots on Tuesdays and Thursdays which are also poker nights. One of the guys playing will always volunteer to launch the birds for you if you want them to. The members couldn't be nicer.

Now the Trap club I used to belong to is a different story. You will be belittled if your shotgun doesn't cost upwards of $15k. Doesn't matter that I routinely outshot them w/ a $350 Baikal. Kept telling me it would break after 1k rounds. I'm upwards of 10k and it's still going strong. The grounds are very nice but the attitudes suck.

Speaking of the attitudes. The "government can take your AR because I don't shoot one" was pervasive there. They didn't care about anyone else and would throw them under the bus. I've found this attitude seems to run deeper in shotgunners then any other section of the firearms community. I know each individual is going to have their own opinions and I shouldn't throw them all into the same category. But they sure made it hard for me not to do so.

alamogunr
10-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Very interesting thread. The range I belong to probably has 150 or so members. Since I'm retired, I only go on weekdays and usually I'm the only one there. When there are others there, usually it is one person or two, and if they are on the rifle range, I will start out on the pistol range or vice-versa.

I don't feel qualified to advise others on their technique, equipment, etc. They usually give me the same consideration.

I envy those who have a home range.

Harter66
10-08-2015, 02:34 PM
I don't have a range anymore so I mostly shoot someplace out in 10-15 million acres of desert. I used to enjoy the range but the " kids " fixed that .

I think there are snobs in every gun class.
I stumbled across a guy that made a really big deal that he had a pre-64 model 70 270 with Ziese glass and was shooting Barns something or other . He'd shoot this deer 3x at 100 yd and had to finish it with his Kimber 45.
All the time I was thinking man these are tough deer I wonder how I killed mine with that old wore out Savage 110 and the $90 Tasco on it ,must be just dumb lucky .

A guy did tell me once that my BPS was too pretty to hunt with, but we killed a lot ducks together even if he did shoot a wingmaster.

Markbo
10-09-2015, 08:55 PM
One common thread I have picked up on. For the most part old men are respected and listened to. As an old man I appreciate that. Honestly. There are know it all everywhere and ranges have more than their fair share but when someone asks, I appreciate someone actually listening and not asking then telling me what they know. Because I only ask old men for information. ;)

wills
10-09-2015, 09:01 PM
When AAA and Master Cass shooters talk, I pay attention.

salpal48
10-09-2015, 09:12 PM
At the Range , I don't give Advise Nor do I Offer any.. Even Most people are Friendly, I would Rather stick to my self and concentrate to The current matters @ Hand..

bruce drake
10-21-2015, 09:24 AM
When AAA and Master Cass shooters talk, I pay attention.

But only if you know them as such. Not everyone runs around with a card classification on their shooting vest ;) I kinda like going to the range under the radar to work on my personal projects but I occasionally will provide some helpful advice if I think they will benefit from it.

firefly1957
10-21-2015, 10:47 AM
I just joined the local club only shot there once at my last club advice flowed freely some of it was even good!
That is not really fair most of the advice was good we had quite a few shooters that regularly won matches in muzzle loading .

Echo
10-21-2015, 01:28 PM
I was at the range in 1971 when an older gentleman suggested that I change my grip on my gov 1911 he showed me a better hand hold which I still employ today the gentleman's name was Joe Benner.
It would take either a special kind of fool. or someone who was just ignorant, to disregard ANYTHING Joe Benner said.

jcwit
10-21-2015, 02:34 PM
I would say much the same about Brian Zins.

GOPHER SLAYER
10-21-2015, 02:54 PM
I never offer advice unless asked and that happens quite often, especially about sighting in a rifle.

Ken in Iowa
10-24-2015, 09:14 AM
Great thread. I'm really all over the place on this one.

Be friendly and respectful.
Watch the safety of everyone around and don't hesitate to mention a safety concern. " would you please open that action sir?" "Can I loan you some ear muffs or glasses?"
Some folks are there to shoot, others like to BS. Know the difference and act accordingly.
If you are an expert and see an opportunity to help a shooter, ease into it. "Hey, I noticed that you do such and such. How does that work for you?"

The club that I grew up at had many excellent shooters. We had a very active junior program that I joined at about 10 years of age. Even into my adult years the old boys offered advice and good deals on guns, equipment and supplies. I sure appreciated that. When my boys were old enough, I became the executive officer of the junior program.

I recall one old boy that kept to himself. He was a Schuetzen competitor and a good one at that. How I wished that he would have said "hey kid, have you ever seen one of these rifles?" He didn't seem very approachable, so I never asked.

These days, most of my shooting is on weekday afternoons with other retired guys. We enjoy each other's company with friendly greetings and a minimum of BS.

Kraschenbirn
10-24-2015, 10:09 AM
Being one of the club's "old guys", I'm occasionally asked for advice and try to respond with the best information I can provide...usually a referral to a 'hard' source such as a loading manual, reference book, or online forum/website. Three things I've learned over the years: 1) Don't offer unsolicited "advice"...unless it's a safety issue, it's usually better to let folks learn their own lessons. 2) some folks who ask for "advice" don't want to hear anything that doesn't agree with what they think they already know. 3) don't offer "advice" unless you're sure you know what you're talking about..."Dunno, I'd have to do some research before I'd say one way or the other." is always a good response.

The advice I've been most frequently offered: "You shouldn't shoot cast bullets in that (centerfire) rifle; you won't hit anything over 50 yards away and they'll ruin your barrel."

Bill

Markbo
10-24-2015, 08:13 PM
They'll ruin your barrel....

That almost demands a "oh really...wanna have a shootoff?" response. :D

Kraschenbirn
10-24-2015, 08:51 PM
They'll ruin your barrel....

That almost demands a "oh really...wanna have a shootoff?" response. :D

My usual response is to offer a look at my target through the spotting scope...but, once or twice, I've offered to shoot my Garand or #1Mk4 against someone's 'tacticool' AR at 200M.

Bill

rockrat
10-24-2015, 09:41 PM
Nope, but if someone comes over and asks about the cast boolits I am using, I will talk to them if they are willing to to listen. If not, its a short conversation. There are a few I will listen to, especially the fellow who was a Korean War sniper. At 85 he is still dern good. Can beat most everyone else. Kind of gruff. He will talk some if you will listen, but if you think you know more than him and want to argue, he will just turn his back on you and continue shooting small groups.

JSnover
10-24-2015, 10:26 PM
The advice I've been most frequently offered: "You shouldn't shoot cast bullets in that (centerfire) rifle; you won't hit anything over 50 yards away and they'll ruin your barrel."

Bill

Sorta off topic but the guy next to me at a gun show was picking through a table, muttering about "them junky lead ones (three boxes of factory-loaded LRN), I ain't buyin' none o' that junk." I almost advised him that there was nothing wrong with lead, but I noticed they were priced about half as much as the jacketed factory loads. 9mm and 40S&W SuperShotHydraZappers were hot at the time and the poor guy that rented the table was glad to get rid of those dinosaur .38s

Love Life
10-24-2015, 10:29 PM
I have a man at the range who is a member of the 2650 club. I look forward to talking with him on Sundays as he beats the pants off of me at the 25 and 50.

TXGunNut
10-26-2015, 12:56 AM
I'm a pretty fair comp pistol shooter and can hold my own with all but the comp rifle shooters. I suck at shotgun shooting unless it involves barricades or kicking doors. My club has some world-class shotgun shooters. I know who they are. When they talk. I listen. If they want to know how to take a door off it's hinges and demoralize a target I'll return the favor, lol.