PDA

View Full Version : Never handy when you need um??

butch2570
10-04-2015, 06:35 PM
Any one else have that problem? Last week my wife said there was a huge yote standing in the hay field 100 yds from the house, while I was at work. Well the only things I keep loaded in the house are a shotgun and couple of handguns for defense , hidden in various locations inside, so as not to be accessible by anyone but ourselves and my grown son. Yesterday, the big and very orange mongrel was standing in the driveway below my house, and he was on the move.. I wasn't close enough to get any weapon , except a "hidden" 22/45 ruger that I have killed more than a "few" crows with. About 50 yds from the house, he stopped broadside and gave me a open shot , I took a rest and squeezed off, the hollow point made contact and Wiley done a somersault in the air, and off to the races he went. I have more than enough things here to really do the job, but it seems they are always locked up and put away when you need one handy, right now handy.. Had I had a more appropriate Wiley E Coyote getter in my hand , this would be the short story. I think there really is something to be said for the old saying of Be afraid of the man with one rifle as he likely knows how to use it also. Just wandering if any one else had a , If I had such and such story, this would seal the deal , story to share.

labradigger1
10-04-2015, 06:49 PM
That stuff used to happen to me all the time. I now keep a SRH 44 mag in the truck and several guns here and there. Haven't seen a thing to use them on since. Wouldn't you know it though.
Lab

Handloader109
10-04-2015, 08:56 PM
Nope, never. Raised pygmy goats on my place in MS back a few years. Started losing them and saw a large pit mix across the fence in the bottom. No gun anywhere close. Lost several more, and started carrying a shotgun and after about a week, caught the dang thing wandering by the road on my property. Needless to say 16 gauge 1 buck from 30 ft took care of the problem for good.

MaryB
10-04-2015, 10:35 PM
I keep my Chinese Type 53 loaded and ready to use. It is in an Archangel stock and has 5 round mags. Put a simple pistol scope on it and it has taken 5 coyotes in the last 2 years. Accurate enough to 100 yards to take down a coyote and cast boolit friendly!

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd248/maryalanab/IMG_20150313_2254480601_zpskq5hbxwz.jpg

ericp
10-05-2015, 06:58 AM
I have a tired M94 that hangs above the door loaded. Picked it up for nothing at a little pawn shop expressly for that purpose.

Eric

1989toddm
10-05-2015, 08:22 AM
This used to happen to me, now there's a shotgun and rifle by the back door and 2 rifles in my truck all the time. Now I dont see near the amount of critters that I used to!

FISH4BUGS
10-05-2015, 09:45 AM
Am I the only one that thinks if you can't make a good clean quick humane kill with whatever gun you have in your hand, don't take the shot?

doc1876
10-05-2015, 10:03 AM
Living in town, I have a ground hog issue, and can only use the kids 22. The thing is usually not where I am. The little so and sos know that and just sit in the drive looking at me!

sparky45
10-05-2015, 10:08 AM
One shot, One kill. I never shoot unless I'm confident in knowing the target won't suffer.

rr2241tx
10-05-2015, 05:47 PM
Am I the only one that thinks if you can't make a good clean quick humane kill with whatever gun you have in your hand, don't take the shot?

Practice. Predators attacking my livestock get no warning shots and no mercy.

butch2570
10-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Am I the only one that thinks if you can't make a good clean quick humane kill with whatever gun you have in your hand, don't take the shot? I Have killed a coyote before with a ,22 long rifle. Just not that particular pistol. I have killed 6 or 7 crows with it between 50 to 70 yds also. I know the pistol well . But I have to be honest I can't say that I know any one personally, that hasn't shot some kind of animal that had a 100% kill rate, and never, ever lost a animal. Any time the trigger is pulled there is always a chance for something to go wrong.

MaryB
10-05-2015, 10:39 PM
22lr and wood chucks don't mix! I had one digging under the garage slab at a place I was renting. I shot that thing in the head with a 22lr and it didn't kill it!

crowbuster
10-05-2015, 11:29 PM
nope. don't have that problem. 250 comes out mid oct. and stays out till april. if they can get to it and kill the dog before he gives them a free sex change they can have it. he's pretty quick.

jsizemore
10-05-2015, 11:31 PM

I guess you've never seen your hard work being indiscriminately mauled by a wild critter or your neighbors innocent pooch. If they only give me a little bit to shoot then I'm gonna put the hurt on them as much as I can.

montana_charlie
10-06-2015, 05:12 PM
I have passed on more than a few (non-life threatening) occasions for that very reason.
If it gets down to 'shoot or die', then it becomes shoot what you got and hope for the best.

I used to have the same problem as the o/p ... nothing ready to hand to handle a difficult target.

I bought a black rifle for when the bad times come, and I don't shoot it.
It just sits there, loaded, waiting for the day when it's time comes.

But, it performs a secondary role, quite well. If something needs shooting on short notice, it'll do ...