PDA

View Full Version : LAM II needed with Star?

silverjay
10-04-2015, 06:29 PM
I used a LAM II for several years before I picked up a star. I now use the star for higher volume handguns and the LAM II for rifle, but it is a pain to switch out sizers. Is there anything the LAM will do that the Star won't. I have been thinking about getting rid of the LAM to fund the missing dies in the Star and only run one sizer. Is this a bad idea?

rodsvet
10-04-2015, 06:33 PM
It never hurts to have a backup machine. I have an old Lachmiller I bought in 1970 and still use it for low production rifle and gas check sizing. If you sell it you will miss it!

dragon813gt
10-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Switch out sizers as in the dies? About the only thing a LAM can do that a Star can't is just install gas checks. But this is a very minor thing. Sell the LAM and buy the Star dies that you're missing if you want. I have a Star and two LAM1s. All of them are used regularly.

silverjay
10-05-2015, 12:41 AM
I only have bench space for one sizer at a time.

Artful
10-05-2015, 02:36 AM

http://leeprecision.com/bench-plate.html

or the equivalent from the folks here that make 'em
http://www.patmarlins.com/webpreview/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/DockingMountMain.jpg
http://www.patmarlins.com/
http://patmarlins.com/webpreview/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/rockdock.jpg

winelover
10-05-2015, 06:07 AM
Switch out sizers as in the dies? About the only thing a LAM can do that a Star can't is just install gas checks. But this is a very minor thing. Sell the LAM and buy the Star dies that you're missing if you want. I have a Star and two LAM1s. All of them are used regularly.

I heat treat all my rifle boolits, after installing gas checks, with the Star.:confused: Just back off on the lube pressure screw or remove the air line, if so equipped.

Winelover

Wayne Smith
10-05-2015, 10:31 AM
Only reason to keep it that I can think of is if you get the black powder cartridge addiction. Some of us have it! Having a second sizer set up with a BP lube is handy rather than changing out the lube. Since BP lube and pistol lube are essentially the same I use one for both. The other is set up for rifle lube.

runfiverun
10-05-2015, 11:29 AM
you can duplicate the LAM's ability to push gas checks on with a star by breaking down and putting a piece of 1/8" steel over the sizers hole.
a fender washer will work until you find a small strip of metal.

silverjay
10-06-2015, 08:51 PM
Thanks. I think I will get the Star dies and see how it goes first.

MT Chambers
10-07-2015, 02:57 PM
The only reason that I can see for keeping the Lam is to have another lube type avail. for use, but in that case I'd be happier with a second Star.

Springfield
10-07-2015, 03:08 PM
I have a couple of Stars and a Lyman 45. The only time I use it is when I want to make my own heel based bullets. I size the base and then push the bullet back out with the Lyman. Can't do that with the Star. I never lube with the Lyman, never found a thing that the Stars can't do. And I second using the ROCKDock mounts. I have 3 Mecs, the Lyman 45, and single stage press with mounts, saves greatly on bench space.

rollmyown
10-07-2015, 06:42 PM
You can't have too many lubesizers :-)

happy7
10-25-2015, 11:59 PM
Well, the LAM is good for sizing spitzer boolets. That is not easy on a star unless you don't mind flattened points.

historicfirearms
10-28-2015, 04:43 PM
For spitzer boolits in the star, make up a "pusher slug". I made one out of a 1/4 inch bolt shank for my 30 cal boolits. To use, just insert a boolit like normal and push it down in the die, next put your slug in the die and lower the punch to push out the boolit. The slug will fall out with the boolit, just catch it with your left hand for the next cycle.

JoeG52
10-28-2015, 06:08 PM
You don't need to get rid of a sizer, you need a bigger bench! :smile:

silverjay
10-29-2015, 12:44 AM
Wouldn't that be nice!

Swede44mag
10-29-2015, 05:44 PM
I second using our forum vendors items for sale.