PDA

View Full Version : PID startup question.

stanford
10-04-2015, 05:14 PM
Finally built my PID after all these months of procrastinating also due to the heat. My question is how do I train my PID? I have read posts about you having to train the PID prior to use but I cannot find those posts anymore. While looking at some pictures of PID'S that others have built I see the desired temperature on the bottom, unsure of what the top numbers mean. Am I supposed to just plug my Lee pot in and set the bottom number to the desired temp and that's it?

I have not added the Lee pot to the PID yet until I get all of this straightened out.

Appreciate the help folks...

Mike W1
10-04-2015, 05:39 PM
The bottom number would be the temperature that you set. Do that first. Then plug your PID in and do the AutoTune routine. The top numbers on the PID are the temperature that your TC is sensing in the pot.

You plug your pot in with the thermostat turned wide open, the PID is gonna take care of that chore for you then.

I'm guessing you most likely have a REX, MyPin or Auber PID unit as most do. PM me your email address as I have some little cheat sheets made up that will tell you in English how to set things up. And of course need to know which unit you have.

stanford
10-04-2015, 06:06 PM
I am using the Auber 2362. I just noticed something when I put a few blocks of lead in the pot to see if this thing works or not, the top number go in reverse. Looks like something is wired backwards, will have to open the box and check again. I set the temp on the bottom to 750 then I see the blinking message from the top stuck at 250 asking this or 750 back and forth.

The Autotune routine is what I am trying to figure out how to get to so I don't have to mess with all those values.

belongtotom
10-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Just swap the leads on the T.C.

stanford
10-04-2015, 08:09 PM
I ended up swapping the leads on the TC after reading the manual regarding the different TC's that are out there. I was able to get into the settings and set the AT to #2, after that the thing started blinking for a long time. I am going to leave it plugged in and see what happens after the autotune program is run. I wanted to do some casting today since the weather was decent, maybe next weekend I will have my opportunity.

Mike W1
10-04-2015, 08:59 PM
I have a 2352 but am trying to digest the manual for the 2362 which is entirely different than mine.

The easiest way to tell if you TC is hooked up correctly is let it get to room temperature and THEN hold the tip in your fingers. The reading on top should increase if you're hooked correctly. If not THEN reverse the leads.

I'm betting if you had all Auber components you likely hooked it up right the first time but the above is an easy check.

Haven't got the stuff straight in my head yet but it looks like when a 2362 AT's then it switches modes somehow and you may see it change your set temperature. Ain't got that one through my noggin yet so I may be reading something incorrectly.

Which Auber wiring diagram did you use?

edctexas
10-04-2015, 11:04 PM
The 2362 has more functions which are not as useful in most of our applications. It has a limit function (either over or under temp), and can function in cooling apps.

The 2352 is a better choice for "heating control functions". It is set for driving a Solid State Relay (SSR). It has alarm outputs. The training function is simple. Punch thru the menu until you see "AT" 3. Hit the down arrow to change to AT = 2. and exit. The lower display will flash as it trains. The unit basically allows several overshoots and undershoots on the setpoint temp. From these excursions, it selects the P, I, D, and t parameters. I'll try attaching the 2352 pdf to this

Ed C

Mike W1
10-04-2015, 11:30 PM
The 2362 has more functions which are not as useful in most of our applications. It has a limit function (either over or under temp), and can function in cooling apps.

The 2352 is a better choice for "heating control functions". It is set for driving a Solid State Relay (SSR). It has alarm outputs. The training function is simple. Punch thru the menu until you see "AT" 3. Hit the down arrow to change to AT = 2. and exit. The lower display will flash as it trains. The unit basically allows several overshoots and undershoots on the setpoint temp. From these excursions, it selects the P, I, D, and t parameters. I'll try attaching the 2352 pdf to this

Ed C

2352 manual won't do him much good. He already has the 2362 which will work just fine ONCE he learns it and he just needs a little help. It's a whole different ballgame to operate it.