PDA

View Full Version : Ring on Brass...

BCB
10-04-2015, 09:34 AM
I got some brass for the 7-30 Waters that have these rings on them. They were fired in a Contender…
(Fireformed from 30-30 Winchester brass)

When I tumble them, the ring almost disappears and on same cases it does disappear. Also if I rub the case lightly with a fine steel wool, the mark goes away also...

If you look at the pic, you will see a wire with a hook on the end. I put that into the case and pulled it up and down over the ring where it would be located inside the case…

I felt no groove/ring in there as I have on other cartridges where separation was about to occur…

This ring on this case is also about 0.7” inch from the base of the case…

Is this just a rough chamber in the Contender as many are that I have used. Although not so distinct as this ring. Or, possibly separation ready to occur?...

Thanks…BCB

dtknowles
10-04-2015, 10:08 AM
Looks like insipient separation to me, I would section the worse looking case and take a look inside. Either cut the case in half lengthwise or grind away half the case at the ring. Who fireformed the cases and how was it done?

Tim

Vann
10-04-2015, 10:16 AM
I noticed a ring like that before. I cut cases in half, rubbed inside with a wire. I did it all never saw any damage. It turned our to be a mark left by placing the spent case back into the cartridge case and then riding around in the truck awhile.

garandsrus
10-04-2015, 10:30 AM
I am pretty sure a ring from a possible case head separation would be a lot closer to the base. If you didn't feel anything, I would reuse the case.

GRUMPA
10-04-2015, 10:37 AM
It turned our to be a mark left by placing the spent case back into the cartridge case and then riding around in the truck awhile.

I zoomed in on that photo, the 1 thing that caught my attention was the difference in surface finish. The cases rubbing against something like a cartridge container sounds like the most likely reason it's there. Personally I would use them and not give it a thought.

EDG
10-04-2015, 12:15 PM
I have thousands of those in all calibers due to them flopping round in plastic cartridge boxes.

You can actually get 2 rings. One for the location with a loaded round and one for the fired case.

BCB
10-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the replies…

I was considering head separation, but I also thought the ring was too far forward as I gave the distance from the base to the ring as around 0.7”. And, I could not feel the same ring in the inside of the case as I have a few times when several 270 Winchester rifles actually did have headspace problems—a 22-250 also…

These cases are my nephew’s and not mine. They were fireformed as I do all of mine. Size to get the secondary shoulder positioned so as to allow the action on the Contender to close. Load ‘em up with a light load of a recommended powder and let them fly. On mine, I use cast boolits as they are much cheaper than the jacketed stuff…

And as others mentioned, I looked at the ring as the case was positioned, mouth down after it was fired, in a CASE-GARD 50. Dang, that ring is right at the plastic insert!...

So, I reckon that might be the culprit that is putting rings on the cases—thus, they clean off in the tumbler or with a light touch using fine steel wool…

I was planning on loading them anyhow, and now I will for sure...

Learn something every day…

Thanks…BCB

Vann
10-04-2015, 01:43 PM
If you want an even cheaper method of fireforming brass you should try the cream of wheat method. It's dirt cheap and works really well.

country gent
10-04-2015, 02:51 PM
Looking in cses is one of the biggest uses I have for my hawkeye bore scope. Its great for checking throats and bores of barrels chambers and such. Being able to look into the case and see whats actually there and its location size form can be revealing at times. Looking in fired cases to see fouling build up. It may be a ring from a rough chamber or from a chamber thats been ringed by a light load wad combination. Looking in the case first for seperation line is appropriate. Now you need to look in the chamber they were fired in for defects or flaws.

Freischütz
10-05-2015, 08:14 PM
I believe Grumpa has it. You usually don't see partial head seperation marks that high on the case.