PDA

View Full Version : Pure lead and total stranger

jack19512
04-05-2008, 06:49 PM
Wife and I were at Taco Bell eating lunch today and while looking out the window while eating I noticed a truck pull up and park beside mine. Older gentleman got out and I noticed him bend down and pick something up while at the back tires of my truck and then threw the item into the back of his pickup.

I told my wife I sure would like to know what it was he picked up, just curious if it was a wheel weight and maybe he was into casting also. I personally don't know anybody else that casts and it would be nice to know someone else local that enjoys this like myself.

I thought it was a wheel weight he picked up and jokingly asked my wife why she didn't see it when she got out. Just so happens the man and his wife sat down at the table next to us so I just couldn't help myself and started a conversation with him.

I asked him if he was into casting his own bullets or fishing sinkers because I thought he might have picked up a wheel weight lying on the pavement. He replied that he had picked up a screw that was lying close to the back tire of the truck he parked next to and didn't want that person to get a flat.

I told him that was my truck and I thanked him for doing this and maybe saving either myself or someone else from getting a flat. As the conversation continued I told him how hard wheel weights were to get now and he informed me that he was a plumber and he had access to pure lead ingots and if I gave him my phone number he would supply me with a couple ingots. I'll have to wait and see if anything comes of this but I don't have any pure lead and would like to have some for use in my muzzle loader. :)

HeavyMetal
04-05-2008, 08:23 PM
The "golden rule" be polite and say thanks! You never know what a kind word and a smile will get you!

armoredman
04-06-2008, 11:11 AM
Good job!

targetshootr
04-06-2008, 11:55 AM
Ask him if he also knows any roofers who may have lead roof collars.

mtgrs737
04-06-2008, 12:37 PM
When I first started casting lead was easy to come by. Now that is not so true, however it is still out there you just have to stop in at places and talk to people. Presistance is the key here, I am pushing the 1 ton mark of hoarded WW lead and I plan to keep going until I can't go anymore! 20 years down the road someone will be glad I did!
:castmine:

Mtgrs737

jack19512
04-06-2008, 08:45 PM
Ask him if he also knows any roofers who may have lead roof collars.

I never thought about asking him about any other sources, good idea. If I hear from him I will be sure to ask. Thanks for the idea. :)

jack19512
04-06-2008, 08:55 PM
I am pushing the 1 ton mark of hoarded WW lead

I don't have anywhere near that much, I have 8 of the 6 gallon buckets of wheel weights and 1 of the 6 gallon buckets with 3/4 full of ingots. It takes me 2 buckets of wheel weights to make 1 bucket of ingots. The only good thing I have going for me as far as my lead supply goes is I don't shoot as much cast as a lot of you do. If you can call that a good thing. :(

Nazgul
04-07-2008, 07:34 PM
I followed a semi down the highway last week. It was a lowboy with a steel box that looked way to small for the size truck. Got closer and it had written on the side of the box
"38,842 lbs LEAD". Had no way of getting a picture. Followed and drooled for awhile then had to go back to work.

targetshootr
04-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I've got somewhere around 3000 lbs of lead which is more than I'll ever need and today I drove 20 miles out of my way to pick up two more bucketfuls. It really is a sickness.