PDA

View Full Version : bullet performance is it worth it????

GLynn41
04-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Are the cast Keith type HP worth the effort how ever much that is over the .320-.33 meplat I have all ready-- the times I have shot deer with them.8-9 is normal entrance or exit-- from the times I have read - the holes made wth the HP are smaller -- is it worth it over say a sp or jsut the meplat just to have a true hp mold made-- what think ye??

runfiverun
04-06-2008, 01:26 AM
i tried to hollow point a bunch of 250gr 45's in acww and pushed them
from 900 to 1500 fps and i still don't know.
i am however just going to stick with the acww at 1500 and not h/p
have used horn 250 xtp and not had expansion. the deer i shot were still dead
but no expansion.
i akso think a hole all the way through is better than a nice mushroom.
especially with a larger boolit, and the acww should deform some
and still penetrate.

just my observations

MtGun44
04-06-2008, 01:50 AM
Glenn has written a bunch about hunting with hollow points and he
has gotten good results with them. Check out these articles.

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCastHollowPoints.htm

http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCastHollowPoints30-30.htm

Bill

Lloyd Smale
04-06-2008, 05:49 AM
No. We recently done some killing with hp in the 4570 and 500 linebaugh and the 44 and what we found is they kill no quicker and your taking a big risk of bullet failure. Stick to a good hardcast bullet with a metplat they will do the job EVERYTIME!!

GLynn41
04-06-2008, 09:29 PM
I like the way you thinkLloyd-- I have read Glenns and he is what started me thinking abut it --but as he describes it they are no better than the large meplat thanks for the answers --may do it may not

frank505
04-09-2008, 01:05 PM
I think you are correct, Lloyd, bison are too large for HP's. I've a customer in Texas that has been the lucky recipient of some Hp's, 429640 cast at 20:1. Kills well on south Texas whitetails, javelina, and coyotes. The load was mild, I do not remember, will try to look it up.
I killed three bison cows last year with 450 Keith in a 500 Linebaugh, piled up one that was wounded as she ran by, my meat animal was killed on the first shot, @ maybe a hundred yards, she ran down a hill where I pasted her again since we were tired from chasing wounded ones. It was unneccesary, she was going down. The third was some kill shots on one that was shot with a muzzleloader and some kind of deer bullet. Whatever it was something exited but she went and laid down, so I shot her three times to kill her. The muzzleloader was having great trouble going bang in the cold because of fake powder. The 475 killed two, both animals were pass throughs, the one I wish I has videoed was KB's shot through the shoulders. The bullet sailed across the pasture and hit around 250 yards away in dead straight line. Love those Elmer Keith bullets that are designed well.

longuner
04-10-2008, 08:26 PM
Frank,

my load for the javalina was 8 grains of unigue and the 429640 with gas check. The deer this season was 17.5 grains 2400 and the short version (no gas check), this load is about 1200fps, bullet was recovered after brakeing the neck. the javalina was shot at about 60-70 yards running straight away, entered from tail, rested in throte, velocity was about 1000fps.

longuner
04-10-2008, 08:31 PM
frank,

what were the velocities of the 475 and 500 loads?

Adam

bcp477
04-11-2008, 12:49 PM
I cannot believe that converting a good bullet to a hollow-point will produce much improvement in effectiveness - especially if the bullet is correct for the job (hardness, etc.), has a large enough meplat, is fired at sufficient velocity to ensure expansion, etc. It seems to me that hollow-pointing will mostly just serve to increase the risk of bullet fragmentation - and thus failure - and thus, is probably not worth the effort, in most cases.

Just my thoughts......worth well less than 2 cents, for sure.

jhalcott
04-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Ditto on BCP477's comment. Why fix what ain't broke?? IF (big if) you WANT to play with th HP mold is one thing,but I don't think it will be much if any better than the flat nose style.

GLynn41
04-13-2008, 09:58 PM
thanks guys you have convicted me with your overwhelming wisdom-- I already have a LWNGC that has a .33 meplat-- so I really questioned the HP thing --hence why I aksed