PDA

View Full Version : Just a rant

starmac
10-01-2015, 02:11 PM
And a simple one at that.

yesterday I went to Oreillys just to get oil and a filter to change the oil in a friends durango.
Since this isn't my vehicle, I didn't know the filter number. They have a good brand selection of filters, but the only book to look a number in was the fram book.
My rant is there was a sign there telling you to look up the others on your SMART PHONE, from now on, even when getting my own (that I know the numbers) I will go to the counter and waste their time getting them to look up what I need.

jcwit
10-01-2015, 02:14 PM
I do not have a smart phone, now what?

Guess I'll have to go to the Zone!

root
10-01-2015, 02:58 PM
Yup todays world of INSTANT gratification.
Even paypal isn't soon enough for todays gamers and the Y2k Gen.

Sad part is a lot of places are doing what you describe. ( self service with technology)

A friend of mine is a skewl teacher for High skewl and they now have a class that teaches kids to make those square bar codes you snap on your phone.

I too share your rant and I do have a smart phone.
One reason that when I make and sell something I try to take pride in it I make it to where I would not only use it but be proud to own it.

And yes I do ALWAYS go to the counter it's one thing I love about NAPA they are very eager to not only help but talk shop.
And unlike the "zone" or "ADVANCED" they know what they are talking about.

Once had a guy from "ADVANCED" tell me they didn't make a 1978 roadrunner when it was sittin' right in their parking lot.
THAT WAS THE LAST TIME I went in that place. I'll drive the extra 4 miles round trip for NAPA.

Rich

Goatwhiskers
10-01-2015, 03:00 PM
Sounds like the local JD dealership. Parts man has all the references, wants to know if YOU have the part number. GW

tja6435
10-01-2015, 03:42 PM
I went to Advanced Auto and asked for track bar bushing for a 99 F350. Kid tried to convince me I needed sway bar bushings because he'd never heard of a track bar. I asked if it was his little souped up Honda out front, he says 'sure is', I replied that I'm not surprised at his lack of knowledge regarding track bar existence.

nicholst55
10-01-2015, 04:18 PM
The local O'Reilly's has a computer that you enter your info into, and it displays the appropriate part numbers. I don't have - or particularly want a smart phone.

Mal Paso
10-01-2015, 07:10 PM
I've had better luck with Oreillys than the zone. I liked NAPA back when they used Blue Streak for their house brand. Quality dropped about 10 years ago, I'll check and see if they got better. I have an account with an independent auto parts but they quit carrying Wix filters and it's all cheap generic parts now. The more I shop around town the better Amazon looks. If I have to look up the part number I might as well order it online too and shop for the best price.

mack1
10-01-2015, 07:50 PM
I sent my wife to Oreillys for a 1/2 in lug bolt for an old tractor. Inended up talking to the manager on the phone and could not make him understand what I wanted, he kept asking what size hole it went in. She left and went to orcelands where the young lady helped her with the bolts. I think Oreillys better get better help soon or will be in trouble. Maby I should not have told them the thread, this may have confused them.

bedbugbilly
10-01-2015, 09:21 PM
I have a "dumb phone" . . and glad I do.

This world is turning in to a "self serve" society where everyone is supposed to be up on the technology and have a smart phone. Sorry . . I'm not one of the "entitled" who have smart phones . . . I've always worked for a living. I've been making the rounds of doctors recently - general physical, cardiologist, diabetic doctor, kidney doctor, etc. - All of which are with in the same "health system". Thanks to the "exhausted one's" health plan . . they of course have had to go to computers . . . doctor looks at you, asks all the questions the new "health plan" requires them to ask, then sits there and pecks on a computer for ten minutes. It's supposed to be so all your medical information is "accessible" by all the doctors in the health system. Funny thing . . .my wife and I had blood tests last week so the results would be available when I went to my appointments. Well . . that worked well. Gee . . . none of them could pull up the results on their computers . . . maybe they should have used "smart phones"?

starmac . . . I'd do just what you said . . . make them look it up. And . . . I'm betting that when you pay for it, none of them know how to count change back either . . . .

TXGunNut
10-01-2015, 10:25 PM
I looked up my last set of scope bases on my smart phone because I couldn't find anyone behind the counter I trusted to look them up. Redfield and Weaver actually have excellent sites for that purpose. I was 40 miles from home and had to get it right the first time.
Wix has an excellent online catalog, many jobbers have good sites as well. After observing the listening and reading skills of today's indie parts counterman I feel better looking it up myself. I generally have little margin or tolerance for errors.

PbHurler
10-02-2015, 07:09 AM
"There's a YAP for that"

Oh, and I might add (grabbing crotch): POUNDSIGN this!

chuckbuster
10-02-2015, 07:23 AM
Sort of on same line
Only registers open being self check lines but prices keep going up and no discount for doing all the work myself.
whatever happened to the cashier and bag boy that was happy to help you get to vehicle, load everything etc etc,,,,
Wow, I must be old".....

Suo Gan
10-02-2015, 08:32 PM
Got a smart phone and I love it. Using it now in fact.

Some of my friends pride themselves in clinging to the old. Sorry, really you are the loser when you choose to not embrace solid technology. Its not from the devil guys.

leadman
10-03-2015, 01:00 AM
I had a smart device, did not work worth a darn as a phone. Put my wife's old Nokia flip phone in service, must be at least 8 years old now. I can get service in places my sons can't with their smart phones. Battery lasts way longer also.
I constantly have to help the auto parts clerks find the parts for some of the old stuff I work on. I was an auto store manager for about 2 years and a Shop Foreman for about 18 years. Heavy equipment mechanic in-between.
Every couple of years I have to replace the bearing in my boat trailer hubs and go in an ask for the set #s. The clerks don't even know they have bearing and race together in the same box on the shelf. Cheaper than buying them seperate.

Newboy
10-03-2015, 08:12 AM
Luddites.

tryNto
10-03-2015, 01:21 PM
Luddites.

Pfff

Despite their modern reputation, the original Luddites were neither opposed to technology nor inept at using it. Many were highly skilled machine operators in the textile industry. Nor was the technology they attacked particularly new. Moreover, the idea of smashing machines as a form of industrial protest did not begin or end with them. In truth, the secret of their enduring reputation depends less on what they did than on the name under which they did it. You could say they were good at branding.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/what-the-luddites-really-fought-against-264412/#cUKqkkYz7fTd68Fq.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Kent Fowler
10-03-2015, 01:36 PM
Fram books I've seen down here also have other manufactures numbers listed to the right of the Fram number or an interchange list. Personally I go to Napa and buy a Wix filter.

jonp
10-03-2015, 02:29 PM
I order my filters from Rock Auto. Got some for my F150 for about $1.50 and my Honda CRV for $2.00. I buy my oil at Wally's. Just got 5qts for about $12.

I use my Android Galaxy for about everything. Weather, GPS Maps, Email, Banking, Flashlight. I even have an app to est bullet velocity by sound (I doubt its accurate but its kinda cool). Rarely talk to my wife anymore on the phone its all text.

Plate plinker
10-04-2015, 10:13 PM
jonp
Rarely talk to my wife anymore on the phone its all text.

Major plus....:mrgreen: