PDA

View Full Version : What 38 Special Bullet to cast

DAFzipper
04-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Looking to start casting for my S&W 38 Special Air weigh with 1 7/8 barrel. What would be a good bullet weight and design for both carry and target shooting?

Ken
04-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Hard to beat a Lyman 358477- 150 grain SWC

Larry Gibson
04-05-2008, 03:32 PM
Hard to beat a Lyman 358477- 150 grain SWC

2nd that.

Larry Gibson

357maximum
04-05-2008, 03:34 PM
Lyman 357446-MY FAVORITE
Lyman 358477
Lyman 358311

Pick one and place it atop 4-ish grains IMR PB.....taaaaada

rbstern
04-05-2008, 03:37 PM
I shoot the Lee 358-105 SWC and the Lee 358-158 SWC TL, both lubed with Red Carnauba, sized with a .358 sizing die. Use piles of these bullets out of a bunch of 38 specials and 357 magnums, including the Airweight 642. Both are excellent out of that gun. The 105 is useful for approximating the ballistics and recoil of 110 JHP +P loads from a short barrel.

oso
04-05-2008, 04:38 PM
For our snubbies the wife and I like shooting the the Lee 358-140-SWC or the Lyman 358480 (lighter, larger meplat, harder to find). For a serious carry load we use lead 158 gr SWC HP's.

Bret4207
04-05-2008, 04:54 PM
358477 in PB 358156 in GC.

Leftoverdj
04-05-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm the heretic in the bunch. Go with the WC of your choice. You're not going to improve accuracy; you can't increase the velocity much in a snubbie barrel; you can't expect much expansion; take the 100% meplat and go with it.

Sprue
04-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I like the 158g SWC. If used for carry or self defense, a swc would be easier to load under stress.

jack19512
04-05-2008, 06:14 PM
Looking to start casting for my S&W 38 Special Air weigh with 1 7/8 barrel. What would be a good bullet weight and design for both carry and target shooting?

Going through the very same thing myself. I just recently asked pretty much the same question and I ended up getting the Lee 158 gr. 358-158-RF mold. It casts some really nice bullets. I am casting for my wifes ultralite 38 and my Ruger .357. I am using Unique powder at this time and have a lot of testing to do yet.

I shot 2 groups of 5 shots each so far. I shot 1 of the 5 shot groups with 4.5 grains of Unique and 1 group of 5 shots with 5.0 grains of Unique. With 4.5 grains of Unique according to my Chronograph the AV was 770 fps. With the 5.0 grains the AV was 911 fps. Groups were tested using my Ruger .357.
The groups were good but I am not satisfied with the velocity spread of the rounds.

HeavyMetal
04-05-2008, 06:42 PM
I have very strong opinions on defense guns, however I promised myself years ago not to bag on someone else's choice.

I helped a fella who had a 38 snubbie. bought a bunch of hollow base wad cutters and loaded them upside down on 5.0 grains of Unique. I seated them about an 1/8 on an inch above the case mouth and put a slight roll crimp in one of the "lube" grooves.

I didn't want to push them any faster than this for fear they'd come apart. Group size? Never tried it. It wasn't a target gun and he wasn't worried about anything past 15 feet.

His goal was to hit a gallon milk jug at 15 feet, the bullets rolled up to about 3/4 inch in diameter. He was happy and it was one of the few times in my life I shot a 38 snub gun.

chevyiron420
04-05-2008, 08:07 PM
hey jack, i reciently got the 358-158rf mold from lee. does yours look like it was machined with a icepick? i went with mine cause im lapping it bigger anyway but good grief its rough. even after i lapped it out it cast boolits with ugly noses.-phil:castmine:

Ohio Rusty
04-05-2008, 08:26 PM
I had a small detective special years ago and it shot all the 38 special ammo about the same. The 158 semi WC's gave the most recoil but it is a good round. I currently cast 150 grain SWC HP's for 38 special. Not quite as heavy as 158's, but stilll plenty of weight and the hollow point does a good job also.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Bret4207
04-05-2008, 08:48 PM
I missed the "carry" part. WC works fine for that. 3-3.5 gr Bullseye. I'm talking solid WC, not HB. You can up the charge to 5.0-5.5 gr Unique if you watch the pressure signs and get a bunch more velocity and a very impressive ball of flame! I carry the 358477 and that 5.5 charge IIRC.

mooman76
04-05-2008, 08:55 PM
I had a snubby not too long ago. Didn't shoot great but good enough for personal defence. Unfortunately I had no confidence in the gun due to malfunctioning problems so I got rid of it. Anyway the best round I could find to shoot out of it was a Lee 148g WC. Lee was the only moulds I used cause that's all I have for 38 but they seem to be about the same. I tried everything from Lee105g swc to Lee 158g rn.

bpost1958
04-05-2008, 09:14 PM
A light wadcutter driven hard should do the trick.

Ken O
04-05-2008, 09:40 PM
I have shot a few IDPA BAC (back up gun) matches with my 637 airweight, and can't recommend the popular 158 swc. They just don't find the holes for quick reloads under any stress. I then tried the Lee 125gr RFN and they work pretty good, I think a complete round nose would be even better. I shot one night match, and reloading in pitch black was quite an experiance, if you get a chance try it!

I went though the same thing with the 625 full size revolver with the .45acp. I had used the 200gr SWC for 15 years before in my 1911s but in the revolver they caught on the flat part of the bullet not going into the cylinder. I went to the 230gr RN (Lyman 452374, I hope I got that number right) and a world of difference.

HeavyMetal
04-05-2008, 10:25 PM
That's the real issue with any wheel gun: the reload!

At least that's what all the big boy's want us to think!

Let me remind everyone of the F.B.I. stats turned loose every year.

One: most shoot outs expend between 1.7 and 1.9 rounds of ammo, this is an average by the way.

Second: the range is always less than 21 feet

Third: It's always dim or no light during the event.

Forth: First timers usually get killed! Therefore start with your second shootout!

With this information in hand we realise the reload is not nearly as important as The first two rounds out of your gun!

The next thing we note is that you must be able to hit your target in dim light at less than 20 feet.

In all honesty if you think your life is in danger the following are my thoughts:

Keep your eyes and ears open, and always look to see what cover is around you. because your first move should be to: find cover then return fire if possible.

A flat faced wadcutter or up side down hollow base makes sense here! Yes you should carry back up ammo and that can be round nose lead so you don't fumble your reload in the dark.

Here's another thought: the "bogus" night site!

If you can't see the front site of your gun at a range of less than 20 inches how the heck can you possiblely know who your shooting at?!

I think a lot of people talk self defense and don't have a clue as to the reality of it!

Ladies and gentleman I invite you to step outside tonight wherever you live with no flash light and the house lights off and ask your self how would you survive an attack?

One of those cheapee plastic BB guns might teach you a lot more than you think you know!

jack19512
04-05-2008, 11:06 PM
hey jack, i reciently got the 358-158rf mold from lee. does yours look like it was machined with a icepick?

No, mine looks really nice and produces some really good looking bullets. I have about 400 bullets cast now ready to load.

Dale53
04-05-2008, 11:44 PM
My Lee Six Cavity 158 RF is a dandy! Couldn't ask for more.

Dale53

Bret4207
04-06-2008, 09:27 AM
That's the real issue with any wheel gun: the reload!

At least that's what all the big boy's want us to think!

Let me remind everyone of the F.B.I. stats turned loose every year.

One: most shoot outs expend between 1.7 and 1.9 rounds of ammo, this is an average by the way.

Second: the range is always less than 21 feet

Third: It's always dim or no light during the event.

Forth: First timers usually get killed! Therefore start with your second shootout!

With this information in hand we realise the reload is not nearly as important as The first two rounds out of your gun!

The next thing we note is that you must be able to hit your target in dim light at less than 20 feet.

In all honesty if you think your life is in danger the following are my thoughts:

Keep your eyes and ears open, and always look to see what cover is around you. because your first move should be to: find cover then return fire if possible.

A flat faced wadcutter or up side down hollow base makes sense here! Yes you should carry back up ammo and that can be round nose lead so you don't fumble your reload in the dark.

If you can't see the front site of your gun at a range of less than 20 inches how the heck can you possiblely know who your shooting at?!

I think a lot of people talk self defense and don't have a clue as to the reality of it!

Ladies and gentleman I invite you to step outside tonight wherever you live with no flash light and the house lights off and ask your self how would you survive an attack?

One of those cheapee plastic BB guns might teach you a lot more than you think you know!

Aw jeeze! Do realize by injecting common sense into this argument you just ruined a whole lot of gunwriters day!

redbear705
04-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I have currently been trying to reduce the size (weight) of my bullets to conserve my lead.

With that in mind I have been casting the Lee 124gr rn for 9mm and it works great in the 9mm. Since I size them to .357 I was thinking why not try them in the 38spl?

Well it turns out I need a little more powder to make the power floor(IDPA) but they work great! They are accurate and they locate in a revolver quite quickly because of the pointy shape of the 9mm bullet.

Since the powder is the least expensive part of reloading at this time, doing this just makes sense to me as for every 1000 rounds of 124gr boolits I shoot I save 4 pound of lead! So for every 4000 rounds I shoot I can get a free 1000 rounds out of my supply of lead.....and powder price increase for each cartrige costs only .003cents !

And the bonus is I only need to concentrate on casting one boolit for two different loads and dont have to change sizing/lube dies!

JR

Cloudpeak
04-06-2008, 12:11 PM
I shoot the Lee 358-105 SWC and the Lee 358-158 SWC TL, both lubed with Red Carnauba, sized with a .358 sizing die. Use piles of these bullets out of a bunch of 38 specials and 357 magnums, including the Airweight 642. Both are excellent out of that gun. The 105 is useful for approximating the ballistics and recoil of 110 JHP +P loads from a short barrel.

I just got a Lee 6 cav. 358-105-SWC mold. This is the best Lee 6 cav. mold I've owned. Drops perfect bullets. The best group I've shot in quite awhile was with this bullet in my 9mm M&P---.383" offhand at 7 yards.

Can you get a load combo with this bullet that shoots to POA at 7-10 yards with this bullet? I tried the 124 grain RN Lee bullet in my SP101 2 1/4" and it shot low. The 158 gr SWC load I came up with for the SP shoots o POA @ 7 yards.

Cloudpeak

FISH4BUGS
04-06-2008, 12:13 PM

If one is serious about carrying, then you should be able to hit something at 20 feet without aiming. I am talking about point shooting.
It takes thousands of rounds of practice to get the "feel" of where your snubbie is pointing based on arm angle. Dead center mass shots are attainable if you can see your target in any light by point shooting and heavy practice.
Practice, practice, and then practice some more. I had a 3" SB 36 S&W that probably had 10,000 rounds throuigh it and it was my most accurate gun....not that the gun itself was accurate (although it was), it was I was accurate with that particular gun.
I set up Q targets at 20 feet and fired 100 rounds with it every time I went out. You would be amazed at how accurate you can get. Draw, point, shoot. Repeat hundreds of times.

Bret4207
04-06-2008, 12:49 PM
If one is serious about carrying, then you should be able to hit something at 20 feet without aiming. I am talking about point shooting.
It takes thousands of rounds of practice to get the "feel" of where your snubbie is pointing based on arm angle. Dead center mass shots are attainable if you can see your target in any light by point shooting and heavy practice.
Practice, practice, and then practice some more. I had a 3" SB 36 S&W that probably had 10,000 rounds throuigh it and it was my most accurate gun....not that the gun itself was accurate (although it was), it was I was accurate with that particular gun.
I set up Q targets at 20 feet and fired 100 rounds with it every time I went out. You would be amazed at how accurate you can get. Draw, point, shoot. Repeat hundreds of times.

True, true, true! Give me a Smiff 19 or 681 4" and I can still walk a can across the ground out to 50 feet at least.

jack19512
04-06-2008, 08:39 PM
I have currently been trying to reduce the size (weight) of my bullets to conserve my lead.

I have been thinking about that very same idea. I ordered and have the 158 gr. Lee mold now I am thinking I should have ordered a 124 grain mold for that very reason you state.

Arbyrod
04-06-2008, 08:46 PM
Speer makes shot capsules that you can fill with anything you want(#8 shot). Very handy for the first shot in the dark, or out the window of your car.

rbstern
04-07-2008, 01:18 AM
I just got a Lee 6 cav. 358-105-SWC mold. This is the best Lee 6 cav. mold I've owned. Drops perfect bullets. The best group I've shot in quite awhile was with this bullet in my 9mm M&P---.383" offhand at 7 yards.

Can you get a load combo with this bullet that shoots to POA at 7-10 yards with this bullet? I tried the 124 grain RN Lee bullet in my SP101 2 1/4" and it shot low. The 158 gr SWC load I came up with for the SP shoots o POA @ 7 yards.

Cloudpeak

Yeah, it's an excellent 9mm and 380acp bullet, too.

My best 38 special load for this bullet is 4.0 grains of Clays. It shoots a couple of inches low in most fixed sight guns, but groups tightly. I just recently picked up a Rossi snub that puts it right at POA at 7 yards. I get slightly tighter groups with 3.5 grains, but Clays gets position sensitive in a 38 special case with light bullets and lower pressures. The 4.0 grains seems to burn more consistently.

DLCTEX
04-07-2008, 01:39 AM
The 130 gr. Lee shoots to point of aim at 25 yds. in my Charter Bulldog. The 158 gr. wadcutter shoots about a foot low. DALE Make that the 356-124-2r They drop at 358- 128 from my mold with 50/50 ww/pure.

warf73
04-07-2008, 05:29 AM
I would get this mold http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=28151
but thats just me.
It will be my practice boolet for my SP101 which is my summer carry gun.

Whitespider
04-07-2008, 08:03 AM
.....Here's another thought: the "bogus" night site!

Ladies and gentleman I invite you to step outside tonight wherever you live with no flash light and the house lights off and ask your self how would you survive an attack?.....

The next thing to do is.... load your snubby wheel gun, look down the sights and pull the trigger. After the flash from the cylinder gap and muzzle hits your eyes you won't be able to see ANYTHING! Best to make that first shot count.

EMC45
04-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Can't beat the RNFP 158 gr. by Lee. I have shot many of them!

deboog93
04-07-2008, 04:29 PM
My dad was NYPD they carried 158 swc +p in there guns. Not sure how effective they were. When it came time to purchase a mold I went with the Lee 158 SWC mold. Have had it for several years and have shot it out of both a snub nose 38 and four inch barrel with respectable results. I personally like the Lee molds for their economy I have had tha .38 mold now for over ten years and it is still going strong. That says a lot to me considering how hard I am on stuff.

fcvan
01-09-2011, 10:52 PM
I have both the 124 2r and the 105 swc and have shot tens of thousands of then through a k-frame s&w. i bought the 105 to shoot in a .380 but also used it a lot in the 9mm. by far my favorite plinker is the 124 rn over 5 grains of unique in the k-frame. my wife loves the 105 swc in the j-frame with he same 5 grain load. i recently picked up the 158 rf for use in the 38 and 357. i'm going to run it for a bit before i try pat marlin's gas checks for plain base. that should be fun!