PDA

View Full Version : Need computer advice

retread
09-28-2015, 07:42 PM
I have a extra CPU that I would like to hook up to my TV to watch programing that is available on the internet. Major network programs such as NCIS. The CPU I am thinking about using is a Dell OptiPlex that I picked up. I has a two one gig memory cards and a dual core processor. I have a cat 5 network connection at the TV location to hook up to. It has Windows 7 professional as the present OS.
My questions are these. Is the windows OS adequate for what I want to do? Can I strip it of all unneeded programs and other junk to save memory? Would another OS be better for this application? What security protection would it need since it will be connected to my network?

Thanks, retread

sparky45
09-28-2015, 07:52 PM
You're a little shy on the Memory. My OptiPlex has 4 gigs and I'm upgrading to 8.

gsdelong
09-28-2015, 08:19 PM
Please be aware unless you have a 64bit operating system anything above 4 gb is a waste.

Mal Paso
09-28-2015, 08:56 PM
You're a little shy on the Memory. My OptiPlex has 4 gigs and I'm upgrading to 8.

Amazon $25 should get you 2 gigs. Check compatibility on one of the memory companies web site.

Video cards are cheap for older machines.

bangerjim
09-28-2015, 09:09 PM
You can buy a Western Digital Live box for about the price of a video card and mem upgrade for that old computer! And it is tiny. Look around for one of the NUMEROUS boxes like that.

dragon813gt
09-28-2015, 09:18 PM
The OS is fine. I've had a laptop or dedicated desktop hooked up to my TVs since 2006. I don't get hung up on the specifics. As long as the computer had a HDMI output it's worked. I know the first computers I used weren't the greatest, even for the time.

kfarm
09-28-2015, 09:48 PM
Best advice I can think of is find some 10 year old and ask them, they will know what to do.

GhostHawk
09-28-2015, 09:53 PM
Seems easier to spend 40$ for an Amazon Firestick!

We've had ours for several months now, no real problems with it at all. Huge variety of programing and if you buy often from Amazon and have Amazon Prime for the free shipping all of Amazon's video are available for free on the Firestick.

We are about to drop our cable here. Instead of 100$ a month 6 for netflix and another 6-7$ for hulu plus and we'll still be able to watch everything we pay for on cable.

Just need a free HDMI port on the TV and a power strip to plug the ac adapter into.

retread
09-29-2015, 12:15 AM
It is a 64 bit machine with the appropriate Windows 7 Pro. I already have Roku for the other canned stuff. I want3ed the computer link for the current TV shows on the internet, such as CBS and ABC etc. Figured I would have to upgrade the memory.

GhostHawk
09-29-2015, 08:01 AM
You also need a cable card. Some of the older ATI "all in wonder" video cards had cable functionality.

Yes it can be done, but most people who do it start with a new system.

Are you sure you want to invest a bunch of money into this and take the chance that it could quit at any point?

Have fun!