PDA

View Full Version : Chambering and cartridge length

sniper
04-05-2008, 11:11 AM
I have always loaded the cast and jacketed bullets for my .357 Smith & Wesson with a medium crimp, in the cannelure or crimping groove, attempting to get as close to my manual's maximum overall length as I could.

I notice my cartridges will make a faint "plunk" noise and give a little "bounce" when I drop them into the cylinder.

I figured this was good, indicating nothing was hanging up, and it worked well for speedloading at IPSC matches.

Reading through Veral Smith's ideas, he says to have a slight resistance to loading, indicating both ends of thre cartridge will be supported , and not rattling around in the cylinder.

Of course, with shorter jacketed bullets, you are likely to run out of bullet before you find the end of the cylinder. It also seems like I'd have to use a taper crimp, because the cannelure would not come into play any more. It also seems the bullets might move more easily under recoil. Hmmmmm...?

With heavier cast bullets, 158-160gr, would this be a problem?

What say you guys? Am I creating problems where none exist?

44man
04-05-2008, 11:43 AM
No Problems exist! I would not go out of the cannelure to crimp. If you want to enter the throats with a bullet, get a different one.
To keep the back of the case tight to help center the cartridge, just neck size with a TIN or carbide die.
I don't think you will notice enough difference to make it worthwhile.

runfiverun
04-05-2008, 12:58 PM
if you are shooting these in a match do you really want to take the "time"
to push each case into the cylinder?
i would check them for case length, to make sure you are getting the same crimp
each time and make sure you have good neck tension not an over crimp.

UweJ
04-05-2008, 03:55 PM
Hi
If it worked well for you all the time why change a good thing. Like with computers: Never change a working system. ;)
Uwe

oso
04-05-2008, 04:23 PM
if you are shooting these in a match do you really want to take the "time"
to push each case into the cylinder?
i would check them for case length, to make sure you are getting the same crimp
each time and make sure you have good neck tension not an over crimp.

And a barely snug round may really delay a tactical reload. Tried the barely snug approach and it don't work for me or the Mrs.

timkelley
04-05-2008, 07:23 PM
If it works don't fix it.

shooter93
04-05-2008, 09:05 PM
With an exceptionally accurate revolver you can often see a benefit to a "slip" fit....however...in a defensive pistol it's a no no. Rounds have to drop in easily.