PDA

View Full Version : dead cartridge brass

fixit
09-25-2015, 02:26 PM
does anyone here have a line on getting money from our brass that is no longer usable, or our spent primers, for that matter? I just had a scrapyard tell me that it's illegal for him to buy cartridge brass....that doesn't sound right!

NavyVet1959
09-25-2015, 02:32 PM
does anyone here have a line on getting money from our brass that is no longer usable, or our spent primers, for that matter? I just had a scrapyard tell me that it's illegal for him to buy cartridge brass....that doesn't sound right!

He is either an idiot or you have some really screwed up laws up there.

Spent primers, I use for rat shot... Also *cat* shot...

bangerjim
09-25-2015, 02:44 PM
That is insane! I buy and sell brass casings all the time at several yards. Some will not SELL but will buy brass carts.

Look for another yard and forget that idiot.

fixit
09-25-2015, 03:46 PM
Unfortunately this the second scrapyard in Indy to say they don't buy cartridge brass

Alexn20
09-25-2015, 04:01 PM
I find that very odd. I have always scrapped my unusable brass at the local recycle yard and they are always interested in the scrap material regardless of its current form. Never heard anything like that before. I guess if all else fails turn your smelt burner up and pour some brass ingots to sell.

dtknowles
09-25-2015, 04:21 PM
my local yard won't take it, I have to go an hour away.

Tim

Houndog
09-25-2015, 04:28 PM
I sure am glad I live where I do! The two local scrap yards will about jerk your arm off getting to it when you offer them spent brass and will pay top dollar for it. They will also sell spent brass from the local LEO range that they buy and occasionally get once fired 223 military brass from Nuclear Fuel Services and the explosives plant. ALL are offered for sale at #1 clean brass pricing!

MtGun44
09-25-2015, 10:45 PM
One yard that I dealt with was pretty antsy about brass - worried it would explode when heated due to
unfired ammo mixed in.

RogerDat
09-26-2015, 12:12 AM
I think this might be due to city or county ordinances. Lansing they have to be cut or possibly smashed as soon as received, big fine for any not properly destroyed so they don't take them. Other yards in the area take them, and some will sell them.

Might try crossing one of those political boundaries, call yards the next county over, or outside the city limits. Exchanging brass, steel clips, or zinc WW's for lead scrap is good because every little bit helps. Always nice to find a yard that appreciates your selling and buying business.

crowbuster
09-26-2015, 08:23 AM
roger that rogerdat. im an hour west of him and no probs sellin brass

gsdelong
09-26-2015, 08:54 AM
Kroots in Columbus Indiana buys only

jcwit
09-26-2015, 09:12 AM
Scrap yards in Elkhart, Indiana gladly take scrap cartridge brass.

SSGOldfart
09-26-2015, 10:58 AM
He is either an idiot or you have some really screwed up laws up there.

Spent primers, I use for rat shot... Also *cat* shot...
now there is a good ideal our spent brass just goes into a barrel and is sold for scrap,pennies on the dollar, which can be traded for lead if the scrap yard has any clean lead to sale never had a problem selling don't really get that much to worry about either way:roll:

lightman
09-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Some of the yards here will buy it and some won't. The ones that do don't pay much for it. None of them will sell to the public.

mold maker
09-26-2015, 11:29 AM
I haven't dealt with them lately, but the yards I do deal with are happy to get brass, primers, zinc and iron, in exchange for lead. They also take jackets, and clips from smelting.
There are also several scrappers that don't even want to buy from individuals, let alone sell. I always drive past them and honk the horn, as an obvious salute to their ignorance.

popper
09-26-2015, 11:58 AM
Scrappers are going 'big box' corporate now. You get to play by their rules. Sport the little guys as much as possible.

williamwaco
09-26-2015, 12:15 PM
Unfortunately this the second scrapyard in Indy to say they don't buy cartridge brass

Pay a visit to a local shooting range and ask them where they sell theirs.

Geezer in NH
09-26-2015, 10:34 PM
Move to a free land???????????????????????????

RogerDat
09-28-2015, 05:35 PM
Due to thieves stealing metal to scrap, buying and selling from the public in small amounts has become more of a hassle. But when manhole covers, and AC units from beside buildings are getting stolen for sale as scrap folks are going to want to put a stop to it. So the yards have to record drivers license and license plate and send a check if payment is over a certain amount. Some have purchased software that makes this easy. Others find it just simpler to only buy from companies rather than individuals. Selling little dibs and dabs of lead to casters vs. having a good supply to sell to a commercial customer it seems logical that even at a lower price the consistent customer that will buy tons of lead is a more important customer to keep supplied with product from your yard.

My 5 gallon bucket or two of hand picked lead is not as important to the yard being profitable as making sure that when the truck shows up they have pallets worth to ship to that customer. For this reason I always figure they are doing me a favor selling to me, or buying my coffee can of scrap brass and primers, or bucket of clips and steel WW's.

CastingFool
09-28-2015, 06:08 PM
The scrap yard where I take my scrap scanned my driver's license, and recorded the license plate on my truck. I once took my van and they questioned it. You also have to sign a paper verifying the scrap you're selling is your own property. I asked if they would sell lead and the guy didn't know, so he called the front office. They said no, but they will buy it.

jcwit
09-28-2015, 06:18 PM
We have fools here stealing the bronze flag holders from Veteran graves to turn in for scrap.

It's a sad world anymore.