PDA

View Full Version : Crazy shrooms.

44man
09-24-2015, 03:06 PM
I have old shiitake logs out back that seemed to be worn out. Carol and I were out back and she hollered at me. We had cool weather and rain. Shrooms were all over the logs, some as big as a foot in diameter. She cut a whole cart full.
In years of growing them I have never seen this.

Porterhouse
09-24-2015, 04:59 PM
Love them! Good for cholesterol. My aunt used to grow them in her back yard. I would just grill them, top down over the coal with a bit of salt.

osteodoc08
09-24-2015, 05:01 PM
Yummy. Pics please.

JWFilips
09-24-2015, 06:49 PM
While not shiitake: Just harvested 18 lbs of RamsHeads the other evening & had the day off from work today so did the processing. Half went in to the saute pan ( then For Freezing) and half went into the dehydrator! It has been so dry this September didn't think I would find any

Col4570
09-25-2015, 01:08 AM
Info please on growing Shiitakes.I would like to try.

tryNto
09-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Buy a log and let them grow.

http://www.amazon.com/Lost-Creek-Mushroom-Farm-10LGNOTRAY/dp/B000BWSL6W

44man
09-25-2015, 10:41 AM
Info please on growing Shiitakes.I would like to try.
Need some green oak logs about up to 8" diameter, 4' long. Other woods can work. Let them sit a month to dissipate the natural anti fungus and drill holes all over for plugs, tap them in and seal with wax. Fungi Perfecti has all kinds of shroom stuff. Keep them wet. Takes some time until they come out but you will have more then you can handle. I dehydrate extra and they last for years.
I have huge bags of morals and other shrooms.

44man
09-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Once done with picking, let the logs stand a while and I put them in an old tub to soak, take them out and stand them up to get a new crop.

44man
09-25-2015, 11:06 AM
I have a few pictures.
Bags of dried and some of the logs against the barn. 149722149724
I gave a huge bag of fresh to my neighbor too.

Tom W.
09-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Back when I was a tyke my Grandmother, who was a Polish immigrant and lived on a 90 some acre farm in Pennsylvania with my Polish Immigrant Grandfather, used to wander through the woods and collect small mushrooms. Evidently she knew what to collect, because no one ever had any issues with them. She would put them up in Mason jars and keep them in the cellar.

JWFilips
09-25-2015, 06:28 PM
Back when I was a tyke my Grandmother, who was a Polish immigrant and lived on a 90 some acre farm in Pennsylvania with my Polish Immigrant Grandfather, used to wander through the woods and collect small mushrooms. Evidently she knew what to collect, because no one ever had any issues with them. She would put them up in Mason jars and keep them in the cellar.

I spent many a day with my Mom & Dad collecting Mushrooms when I was young ( Polish!)
Pink tops Silvertop, Spongies (and Popinki when the frost set in)! I was a scientific lad so as I grew older and they had departed I could only cross reference Spongies to Boletus! I will not touch the others now with out the wise eye of the old family. All I know is I ate great as a child!

The Rams Heads I know from my life experience so I have no issue about harvesting them!

MaryB
09-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Morels are pretty safe a false morel is easy to ID and once you see one you can tel them apart easy.

JWT
09-25-2015, 10:58 PM
I had shaggymanes in my backyard grass last year but nothing this year yet.