PDA

View Full Version : New member

jfseaman
09-24-2015, 11:11 AM
Fred Seaman, Central California Coast

Varied interests.

I just got casting equipment. A complete setup from someone getting out. Haven't unboxed it yet. Perfect setup for my 45ACP and 45-70.

I am mostly interested in building a falling block or rolling block from a kit but......

All the makers seem to have disappeared and all the articles and threads are old.

skeettx
09-24-2015, 11:21 AM
Hello jfseaman
Welcome on your first posting
Yes, most of the kits have gone the way of the buffalo
Skill has left the building
But some of us still remain.
Additionally now it is most economical to buy a complete gun
rather than try to assemble one.
Again, Welcome
Mike

starmac
09-24-2015, 11:28 AM
Welcome to the forum.
Somewhere in the archives are some threads of members building some scratch built rifles that will interest you.
You are lucky, in taht your casting gear is still boxed up. You can pass it on and save your self, once out of the box you will be doomed. lol

nagantguy
09-24-2015, 11:32 AM
Welcome sir, get a notebook and hold hold on you will experience information overload. You couldn't have found a place with better ladies and gents. Casting is an applied science in my veiw, read everything you can for tips tricks and troubleshooting but nothing beats actually firing up the pot and pouring some molten lead . Just like Noone ever got fit reading muscle and fitness Noone has ever to my knowledge poured perfect boolits by just reading on the subject. .45 acp was my starting point as well, it made shooting idpa more economical and when it's a round you've assembled stem to stern you can't help but learn a few things on the way that make you a better shooter caster and reloader.

badbob454
09-24-2015, 11:43 AM
welcome new guy ... hang on and read up...

Teddy (punchie)
09-24-2015, 12:04 PM
Welcome to the forum!!

dilly
09-24-2015, 12:20 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know anything about building guns from a kit, but I do know that 45-70 is a good one to cast. Those bullets are expensive when you buy them jacketed.

BrassMagnet
09-24-2015, 12:49 PM
Find Vendor Sponsor section and look for the section on Boolits Casting loaner DVDs.

swamp
09-24-2015, 01:24 PM
You might also mention area you are in. Might be a member close by to give you some mentoring help.
swamp

dilly
09-24-2015, 01:30 PM
He mentioned in the OP.

country gent
09-24-2015, 01:47 PM
Welcome to the site and the addiction of casting. Several things to help you get started easier. read up in the stickies. Always clean moulds before using, I do mine the night before a session. Keep a note book with all pertinent information in it by mould alloy and or lead pot. This will allow you to track what worked what didnt and ease future casting sessions. Another is those big 45-70 bullets empty a pot fast. My 550 grainers go thru 10 lbs really quick.

1989toddm
09-24-2015, 02:51 PM
Welcome, Fred! 45-70 and 45acp boolits are easy and fun once you get mold up to temp! Information overload is right, but still we come back. It's a great place, grab a coffee refill and enjoy!
Ps. The best way I have found to search the forum is not with the onsite search function butt Google the keywords or phrase followed by cast boolits. Example: "rolling block build from kit cast boolits"

Todd

David2011
09-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Hey Fred,

Welcome to the CastBoolits addiction. You're about to have a lot of fun making stuff. The stickies are an incredible collection of wisdom.

David

koehn,jim
09-24-2015, 04:03 PM
Welcome aboard.

shooter93
09-24-2015, 06:07 PM
You have reached the end of the internet Fred......run....go back....save yourself before you become like us....addicted to this place and cast bullets. There is no cure. It's a disease that grows and becomes all consuming. You have been warned......smiles.......and welcome aboard too.