PDA

View Full Version : 32-20 Starline to 25-20

jwhite
04-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Has any one ever necked down the Starline 32-20's to 25-20? Some of my old Remington 25-20 cases are starting to give up the ghost and I need some more, so I was thinking about trying to neck the Starline cases down. I have always heard good things about Starline 32-20 cases and figured they would make good 25-20's.

beagle
04-04-2008, 09:54 PM
Never tried any Starlines but they're pretty thick. At least the batch I have is. I've done a lot of WWs and RP cases and they work all right. Have to watch excess lube or you'll get wrinkles. .218 Bee works good blown out if you find some of those./beagle

Baron von Trollwhack
04-04-2008, 10:26 PM
I have formed many new starline 32-20 cases to 25-20 as I thought dimensional differences were in my favor for ultimate use with my fat ,long chambered Marlin classic. I found the cases to be very hard compared to Remington or Winchester.
I learned to bell the case mouth noticeably as a very first step or regardless of annealing they would form length wise neck folds.
You must then anneal cases or you will lose about 25 % upon necking down. Even then you lose some. Even so you will lose another 25% on first firing from neck splits. The ones left, if annealed again will be nice cases fireformed for further necksizing only . Thanks, Marlin.... not!
Remingtons work very nicely with a starting bell and anneal and cause no further trouble. They are a better bet. Marlin accuracy benefits from carefully necked down 32-20 cases from the start. BvT

218bee
04-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Personally I would buy a batch of Win cases correctly headstamped and save the work, I don't think they are that high priced, but have not bought some in a while

runfiverun
04-04-2008, 10:55 PM
it's not the byin it's the findin
found mine at midway

Leftoverdj
04-04-2008, 11:54 PM
That's a right serious reduction without an intermediate step. So far, I have been able to keep a stock of proper .25-20 brass. If I had to reform .32-20 brass, I believe I would try using a Lee 7mm bullet sizing die as an intermediate step. Be worth a couple of cases to try, anyway.

chevyiron420
04-05-2008, 12:54 AM
i think i may have some 218 bee cases??? maybe a trade???-phil

jwhite
04-05-2008, 07:20 AM
I have plenty of 25-20's still left, I was just wondering how the the starline stuff would handle the necking down, sounds like they don't fair all that well. I guess i will just order some more Remington brass.

Nrut
04-05-2008, 12:00 PM
I have formed many new starline 32-20 cases to 25-20 as I thought dimensional differences were in my favor for ultimate use with my fat ,long chambered Marlin classic. I found the cases to be very hard compared to Remington or Winchester.
I learned to bell the case mouth noticeably as a very first step or regardless of annealing they would form length wise neck folds.
You must then anneal cases or you will lose about 25 % upon necking down. Even then you lose some. Even so you will lose another 25% on first firing from neck splits. The ones left, if annealed again will be nice cases fireformed for further necksizing only . Thanks, Marlin.... not!
Remingtons work very nicely with a starting bell and anneal and cause no further trouble. They are a better bet. Marlin accuracy benefits from carefully necked down 32-20 cases from the start. BvT

Bvt...I have a Marlin 25-20 with a chamber just like yours...First time I resized the case (partial necksized with full lenght sizer) I ended up with with a double bottle neck case :-( ....I am thinking the best cure is a rechamber to a .256 (win.?)....Marlin really screwed up on that one as well as the 38-55 CB I have with a .381+ groove dia....Had I lived in the states both rifles would have went right back to Marlin for a re-barrel...
Gotta admit that I can't complain how my 1894C and 1895 shoot....esp. the little 1894C..
:)