PDA

View Full Version : Arrow making

garbear
09-23-2015, 07:47 PM
I ha e two Ben Pearson bows. Draw weight between 30-35 pounds.

Ok here is my question. Can I use willow. I'm going to use a 38 shell casing as a blunt and reinforce by the knock with nylon thread that has glue put on it. Wonder if the willow will stand up to the poundage. Not using this for big game. Targets and nothing bigger than a rabbit.
Garbear

Hogtamer
09-23-2015, 08:10 PM
Willow may be a little flimsy but if you can find some straight shoots go for it! Do a little homework and find out what Indians in your part of the country. Poplar dowels from Home Depot are cheap and easy to work, may have to pick through a bunch. You don't want grain run-out along the length of the shaft.

MaryB
09-23-2015, 10:24 PM
locally they used mullberry to make arrow shafts and bows...

jcren
09-23-2015, 11:07 PM
Blank cedar shafts are Cheap enough. I have made a few arrows and have found that by the time I invest the time and effort to straighten and smooth a dowel or stick, $3 for a tapered sanded cedar shaft is cheap. Shell cases make awesome blunts by the way. Most of my stuff now days is carbon, but I still love cedar. 149606

swamp
09-23-2015, 11:15 PM
I prefer dogwood for the shafts. I use bone or bronze for points. I use sinew to reinforce the nock. Use a bit of resin and sinew for the point. Small notches in the point shank hold the sinew. A bit of liquid resin on the sinew helps waterproof it.

swamp

w5pv
09-24-2015, 11:09 AM
I may be talking out of the top of my hat as I never investigated,but I understand that second growth hickory was used for the bow and cedar was used for the arrows.Just a thought.

Bad Water Bill
09-24-2015, 02:05 PM
The most important concern of the choices of wood for bows AND arrow shafts as well as the heads was just what was available to the local inhabitants.

How many areas have OSAGE ORANGE trees for the best bows?

Then there is the availability of materials for the arrow heads?

Most just used what they found in their local area and still fed and defended them selves.

The most beautiful arrow head I ever saw was when a friend and I were walking a well worn trail on the RICHARDSON RANCH In Oregon and my friend reached down and picked up an arrowhead made out of Carry Plume agate with the dendritic plume right in the center of the head,a true work of art and craftsmanship.