PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise !

Tenbender
09-22-2015, 09:28 PM
I'm thinking about a NOE 454 , hollow point mold. In the 250 gr range.w/ GC. Will be using them in a carbine.
What is the pro's and con's on a HP mold ?

bangerjim
09-22-2015, 10:18 PM
Depends on what you want the boolit to do on the receiving end.

I cast 9 different 45's......none of them are HP's and all are excellent in my revolvers and carbines. Only 1 is GC'd and I never use a check because I do not push them fast enough to be sonic.

And are you really pushing it that fast to really need a GC on a 45? None of mine go that fast!

NOE makes a VERY good product. You need to determine if you really want a hollow point GC boolit or not. I only cast a 358 in HP.

Good luck on your "tough" choice!!!!! :drinks:

OnHoPr
09-22-2015, 10:25 PM
Pros, it will dump more energy faster into the animal and make a larger wound channel through the softer organs like the lungs if hit in the ribs or just a bit of the shoulder muscle. Cons, if you hit the shoulder point square on a forward raking shot it will make a nasty wound in the meat and bone before it gets to the lungs. If you hit on a rearward raking shot from dogs, slippin, or jumping up it might not get the penetration to get to the boiler room. It depends on your alloy as well.