PDA

View Full Version : Dumpster Diving with the Wife

Gator 45/70
09-21-2015, 10:19 PM
Wife and I went too the range yesterday, Its been awhile since she shot...
So I get her lined out on the pistol range with her S&W Model 10 and she's doing pretty fair after 10 minutes with Lady loads in .38 158 gr. flat nose w/4 gr. Bullseye, So I tell her I'm going to walk over to the rifle range and look for rifle brass.

After about a couple of minutes, Here she come's, I ask her what's up.

She says she's taking a break, I'm like ok, I'm walking in front of the benches look for Grass Brass

I turn around and she's bent over waist deep in a 55 gal. drum, I'm finding this quite funny!

I walk over and ask her, What are you doing dumpster diving in a drum?

She say's it has a lot of brass in it.

I tell her to grab what you can, I'm still checking the grass, I walk off when all the sudden I hear her slamming the drum upside down!

I walk back and ask her if this is something she learned in collage as a starving student?

She say's look at all the big brass!

So, I get down and start helping her, Lot's of 270 WSM and regular .270, About 100 pieces of .223

Throw in some .44 mag. 1- 45/70 (dang it) 243, 25.06, and a few pieces of .35 wheelen, 4-308's

We clean it out and pick up the old target's, Spit bottles and other assorted juke thrown away.

Check a few more and manage to collect about 250/300 pieces or so.

What's not to Love about bring the wife to the range?

Did I mention that she's also an RN?

Budzilla 19
09-21-2015, 10:34 PM
Man, whatever you do ,do NOT LET HER GET AWAY!! A RN? And a shooter? OMG, man , you hit the jackpot, you know that? Lol, seriously, what a score!! (I know , I'm married to a red headed Cajun woman, also a RN, so I'm withcha bro!) and the brass scrounger to boot! Gotta love living in Louisiana! Hahaha! Just my .02 cents. Good shooting to you and your lady!

edler7
09-21-2015, 11:18 PM
Does she have any sisters ?

Doggonekid
09-21-2015, 11:26 PM
If she can make a cherry pie she would be the perfect 10.

Wis. Tom
09-21-2015, 11:30 PM
My wife and I only live about 4 miles from the range and we head down almost every night to cleanup and find any brass sitting around. She is like Turtleman, as she can almost "feel" the brass. LOL. It is truly a blessing to have a wife that loves to pick, and shoots to boot. Good job Gator, mine shoots a SP101 357.

Gator 45/70
09-21-2015, 11:55 PM
Thanks' Guy's
She did whip up a pretty nice Chicken/Sausage Gumbo Sunday night, Only had her pecan pie's, Pretty awesome stuff!

Bzcraig
09-22-2015, 12:35 AM
That awesome! I've turned my wife into a brass rat too. :mrgreen:

rmatchell
09-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Im still working with my wife on shooting but she does pick up all pewter she comes across. Its a start.

Alexn20
09-23-2015, 01:33 PM
She is a Keeper!!!!

nagantguy
09-23-2015, 03:13 PM
Me and the wife make a date night out of dumpster diving in the new sub division being built 1w or so miles away, the Super told me once it hits the dumpster it's free for the taking, a few coffee and dozen donuts for the boys last fall and they'd set the "good" stuff aside Fer us, lumber for wood shed chicken coop rabbit hutch 2x8s for kitchen floor all came out of the dumpster. We are also range trash barrel picks of the highest caliber! !!

JSnover
09-23-2015, 03:52 PM
Great score! Great wife, too.
I learned as a newbie reloader, guys like us can really 'clean up' at public shooting ranges.

kodiak1
09-23-2015, 06:58 PM
When my grand son was younger he would climb right into the barrel!! The wife is always watching too so I have it pretty good...
Mine cooks a mean cheery, apple or punkin pie and is a keeper..

trapper9260
09-23-2015, 07:29 PM
Now I know I need someone like you guys have they are keepers .i am not married or have anyone yet but might get lucky like you all are.

Gator 45/70
09-24-2015, 12:54 AM
Now I know I need someone like you guys have they are keepers .i am not married or have anyone yet but might get lucky like you all are.

Marry a Nurse, They are trained medical professional's and not scared of much after 4 years of college.
Plus a bit of Great cooking goes a long way's !!!
Thanks' to the rust of the poster's.

Rustyleee
09-24-2015, 01:48 AM
Yep, nurses is the best!

Hamish
09-24-2015, 02:02 AM
Holy moly Gator, I started laughing halfway through, that's my wife too, RN and all! They realize it's free money for the picking,,,,,,

DeputyDog25
09-24-2015, 03:54 AM
Is she by any chance the sister to Brass Magnet?:kidding:

trapper9260
09-24-2015, 07:27 AM
Marry a Nurse, They are trained medical professional's and not scared of much after 4 years of college.
Plus a bit of Great cooking goes a long way's !!!
Thanks' to the rust of the poster's.
Thanks for the advice.Still looking.

aap2
09-24-2015, 11:54 AM
I rarely fail to take ANY brass case that is discarded at the range...it gets dumped into a big can at home and gets sorted and tumbled in SS pins and inspected when I have nothing else to do. Once I explained how expensive brass was to my wife she immediately became a brass rat too; it's basically money on the ground or in the scrap barrel. My shooting buddy and I both are a little slow at bending over to pick up brass when we shoot (arthritis and old-guy syndrome), but we still pickup every case that we find for reprocessing. We could afford to buy new brass but rarely if ever do..I wonder if being a brass rat is because we came from backgrounds where anything that could be reused WAS reused to save money. And it's a lot of fun too.

Hardcast416taylor
09-24-2015, 03:08 PM
I was digging in a waste can at a gun club, one time awhile back. In the bottom of all the junk and some brass I found a Sten magazine!Robert