PDA

View Full Version : p100 filter for nato 40mm gas mask connection

ryokox3
09-19-2015, 11:21 PM
Hi all, I tried searching first but failed miserably. I am looking to get a p100 rated filter and attach it to a surplus gas mask that has the nato 40mm threaded canister connector. Is there one that goes right on , or is there a filter + adapter combo?

I'm thinking the paper style respirators are not good enough any more when smelting, so I'm looking to get the p100 filters and utilize my gas masks. I know some say it is not necessary for smelting outdoors, but I made up my mind that it is something I should be using.

Thanks friends.
Ry

Yodogsandman
09-20-2015, 12:22 AM
P100 filters are just for airborne particulates....dust. They would help to protect you from ingesting what little lead oxide dust might be present. They'd also be useful if you plan to cut your lead with a saw or do any grinding/sanding on it. Really not needed though for just smelting outdoors, maybe with a slight breeze.

rancher1913
09-20-2015, 09:52 AM
look up nato 40mm nbc filters, you can get them surplus, the out of date ones would be the cheapest and still work fine for your purpose.

ryokox3
09-20-2015, 11:37 PM
Will all nbc filter lead fumes? I don't know if there is a standard there. I looked up the osha standards for lead fumes and they listed n100, p100 or r100. Thanks again for your time.

Yodogsandman, thank you for the reply. I did read that many feel the same way, but also many do not. I personally do not want to take the risk. Maybe we can call it a placebo effect, but even if it isn't lead, the smelting has at times make some nasty colors of smoke come out. A quick wind change and my lungs are unhappy. I'm wearing eye-pro any way, so the mask covers that along with good air.

-Ry

Yodogsandman
09-21-2015, 05:32 AM
I think you're confusing lead dust with lead fumes in your searches. Two very separate hazards. The smoke and whatever is present in that is another hazard that can probably be mitigated by the same means of protection as lead fumes. The best protection is not to allow yourself to be exposed in the smokes path. A steady slight breeze going in one direction is your friend here.

bajacoop
09-21-2015, 08:43 AM
I worked at a secondary lead smelter for a couple summers and everyone one wore P100's. They should do the trick for the minimal exposure most hobbyists would have if they are what they wanted people working 40+ hours with much more exposure to wear.