PDA

View Full Version : First timer laddling

mto7464
04-04-2008, 10:44 AM
After seeing the post with the "dirty boolits" which I almost alway have I decided to try laddling. What a huge difference. Almost no rejects once I got the mold hot. Almost all of them where within +/- .5 grains for a 197 grain boolit. I noticed I had two equal piles, I divided them into piles above and below 197 grains. I wonder if this is the variance in the two hole 200 grain Lee mold.

The .30 cabine six banger was a little different. I need to check again but it seemed like the laddle poured ones were lighter then the bottom pour. I will try some differnt techniques on that one.

HORNET
04-04-2008, 12:39 PM
Now you know why there is frequent controversity on here about ladle vs. bottom-pour. Lots of fans of each and a few that switch depending on what they're pouring. Kind of depends on length-diameter ratio, sectional density, number of cavities, phase of the moon..[smilie=1:

leftiye
04-04-2008, 05:55 PM
And how you hold your mouth (don't forget).

idahoron
04-04-2008, 06:05 PM
Yesterday I also tried a laddle., With good results.
When I pour with my Lee Production pot My bullets were dirty just like the pictures but only on the bottom half of the pot, The first half was clean.
I laddled them and they were perfect. I am going to have to try that again. Ron

nighthunter
04-04-2008, 06:11 PM
I cast for 15 years before I ever knew there was such a thing as a bottom pour pot. I borrowed one from a friend at his insistance and I thought it was really neat but I couldn't afford one so I gave it back and told him how really nice it was. I ladeled for a lot more years before I bought my own bottom pour. I use my bottom pour quite often now but when I want to combine casting bullets with quiet time I head up to the garage and fire up the real lead pot and do some ladle casting in a long session. It is sort of like that old sport of stump sitting except I have something to show for it when I am done. There is nothing wrong with ladle casting. Is it old fashioned? I don't know. I like cooking dinner with cast iron cook ware. That seems to be old fashioned these days also.

Nighthunter