PDA

View Full Version : Thought of a Handy use for ZINK WW!

PatMarlin
04-04-2008, 10:00 AM
I took one of those painted or powder coated zink WW devils, sanded off the paint and dropped it in- on the top part of the radiator in the truck, right under the cap.

Can't move, and it should serve it's little life well there as an annode... :drinks:

bullshot
04-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Not if its not grounded

PatMarlin
04-05-2008, 01:20 AM
Wouldn't it be chassi grounded by touching the radiator? The radiator is grounded.

PatMarlin
04-05-2008, 01:23 AM
I was thinking that if anything it may need to be isolated to work, but a lesser noble metal should take the beating.

bullshot
04-05-2008, 08:02 AM
I'm familiar with using zinc to prevent electrolysis in marine engines. Zinc anodes are used as the sacrificial metal to prevent corrosion of the component parts of the cooling system(heat exchanger,exhaust manifolds. risers,etc). This is used in the presence of salt water. Salt being positively charged.Anyway when a zinc corrodes in the system and breaks away from its grounded fastenening it no longer functions,like in the case of your radiator,and then the component parts are eventually destroyed. The zinc is able to make and break contact with the flow of water. I've never seen zinc used in a jacket water system(system with antifreeze)only where there is saltwater.

Jon K
04-05-2008, 08:54 AM
Pat,

Ditto, Ditto to what bullshot said..........

Jon

mike in co
04-05-2008, 10:01 AM
i was thinking of reforming some zinc into life vests for cats......

PatMarlin
04-05-2008, 11:22 AM
I'm familiar with using zinc to prevent electrolysis in marine engines. Zinc anodes are used as the sacrificial metal to prevent corrosion of the component parts of the cooling system(heat exchanger,exhaust manifolds. risers,etc). This is used in the presence of salt water. Salt being positively charged.Anyway when a zinc corrodes in the system and breaks away from its grounded fastenening it no longer functions,like in the case of your radiator,and then the component parts are eventually destroyed. The zinc is able to make and break contact with the flow of water. I've never seen zinc used in a jacket water system(system with antifreeze)only where there is saltwater.

Zink works in any water salt or fresh, as in your home's water heater, etc. without salt. Of course the salt water corrodes your metals, as electrolysis, minerals, does in fresh or salt water and in your auto cooling system corroding aluminum and other metals.

Zink corrodes first that's all. When it's gone it's corroded up and gone.

The thing that made me think of this is aside from having zinks in my boat and hot water system, is you used to be able to buy a radiator cap that had a chunk of zink hanging from it, so it hung just below the cap.

If it has to be grounded as you mentioned, where I have it, it is by sitting on the metal core inside.

PatMarlin
04-05-2008, 12:08 PM
I'll keep and eye on it, and we'll see if it works... :drinks:

buckshot&brass
04-06-2008, 04:29 AM
Sounds like a good idea , let us know if it works.