PDA

View Full Version : Why I love CastBoolits forum

mjwcaster
09-18-2015, 10:17 AM
This is a public thank you to the CastBoolits team, it's members and one particular member.
---------------------------------------

I have been a member here for a few years now, and a lurker/sponge (sucking up knowledge) for several years before that.

This place used to feel like a family, people could disagree, but still remain friends.

The outpouring of help whenever a member was in need always astounded me.
The people who would give freely, not just of their knowledge, but of casting gear to help a newbie get started.
Or invite someone into their home to teach them how to cast, someone they didn't even know, and put them up for the night, feed them and teach them.

Lately there have been a some issues, many of which may have something to do with the growth of the forum. I have seen this happen before, when words gets out how great a place is and everybody flocks to it.

Well I still believe in CastBoolits, even with all it's warts.
For those who are feeling down about the place, take a break, things will calm down.
Then check back in a while and see if you still enjoy it here.

The mods are just doing the best they can to try and keep this place on track.
And after watching too many other forums self destruct I appreciate their work, even if I disagree at times (not very often and easy to do from the sidelines, without the full story, and no skin in the game).

I sure wouldn't want to be a Moderator, would you?

And now why I am posting today-

I have to offer a big thank you to another member here.

I finally broke down and ordered up a custom dillon powder funnel from Lathesmith.
Another member offered some advice, and then let me know that he was dropping his funnels off for some work and that saved me from having to send mine in.

When I tried to pay Lathesmith, he told me that his end was already covered by the other member (name withheld for now, I do not have permission to post it).

The other member just told me to enjoy my new funnel and cast a ton of boolits.

I do not know this person, not even sure if I have even posted in any of the same threads as he has.
Yet he just paid for my custom funnel.

Please tell me where that ever happens now days?

Time to get off my butt and write a check to the forum, been meaning to donate, but had paypal issues, and I don't even know where my checkbook is.

I wouldn't be casting today if it wasn't for this place, and if I was I wouldn't know anywhere near what I think I do know.

Thank you to the CastBoolits team and all the CastBoolits family.

And a special thanks for the powder funnel, I will put it to good use.

Matt

toallmy
09-18-2015, 05:29 PM
Now that's a good bunch of fellows.

tinhorn97062
09-18-2015, 06:01 PM
...The outpouring of help whenever a member was in need always astounded me.
The people who would give freely, not just of their knowledge, but of casting gear to help a newbie get started. Or invite someone into their home to teach them how to cast, someone they didn't even know, and put them up for the night, feed them and teach them.

Well I still believe in CastBoolits, even with all it's warts.

The mods are just doing the best they can to try and keep this place on track.

And after watching too many other forums self destruct I appreciate their work...

Thank you to the CastBoolits team and all the CastBoolits family.

+1 to the above quoted.

JeffinNZ
09-18-2015, 06:20 PM
Sponge! Love it. It's all good here. I just don't get the time I used to.

historicfirearms
09-18-2015, 06:33 PM
I too have been blessed by very generous members. This is the best site on the internet. Coming here feels like coming home, but more interesting and often more friendly.

osteodoc08
09-18-2015, 06:40 PM
I've been welcomed with open arms here. I joined after the passing of my father. I've gone through birth, death, relationships here and this place feels like family. I've met members as far away as Canada that came down to Ga on business. I've earned a life long friend/mentor/surrogate father here that has taken me under his wing and has been my absolute rock when times continue to be tough. I have several confidants here that I know I can share my personal business and receive counseling and advice given my situation. This is by far the best place/forum I've ever been a member of. Because of that, I have no problem being a donor here and urge everyone to do so. There will always be ebb and flow of members. I plan on sticking around until rapture.

Hogtamer
09-18-2015, 07:20 PM
yes yes (one yes was too short a message)

pretzelxx
09-18-2015, 07:47 PM
I wish I had more money to help support this forum. Great group of guys and gals that give so much support and information about the best hobby on earth! I've learned a lot here and I plan to learn a lot more.

John Wayne
09-19-2015, 11:42 AM
Well said MJW! The moderators and owner have a thankless task. We don't see the enormous amount of work behind the scenes to control and eliminate the spam, spammers and virus issues either.

1989toddm
09-19-2015, 11:51 AM
I've been welcomed with open arms here. I joined after the passing of my father. I've gone through birth, death, relationships here and this place feels like family. I've met members as far away as Canada that came down to Ga on business. I've earned a life long friend/mentor/surrogate father here that has taken me under his wing and has been my absolute rock when times continue to be tough. I have several confidants here that I know I can share my personal business and receive counseling and advice given my situation. This is by far the best place/forum I've ever been a member of. Because of that, I have no problem being a donor here and urge everyone to do so. There will always be ebb and flow of members. I plan on sticking around until rapture.

+1

I liked the last line about hangin around till Jesus comes[emoji4]
Awesome place here, has growing pains just like anything else.

Harter66
09-20-2015, 04:00 PM
Not long after I joined up there was a member that got by on his and his wife's retirement because the house was paid for etc . They had figured to drive the truck for life . Unfortunately the engine blew up and left them without wheels and the repairs were beyond their resources. Well a member says I have an engine that'll work and I'll bring it half way . Then another that lived about half ways says ,I'm a mechanic and have a truck full of tools , I'll swap the engines . So member 1 hauled the engine down and met member 2 on his lunch break and put the engine in his truck . When member 2 got off work Friday he drove on down the 250 miles did the swap getting back home Sunday night late . Not a dime changed hands as far as public forum knows .

Folks here seem to forget about those things and all the helping to get others started and paying too much for estate tools because they are estate tools .

It's nice to see the thanks and memory of the great place we have here .

Djones
09-20-2015, 10:09 PM
I have been treated very well through the past few years here. I look forward to logging on to gain more knowledge.

The members here are very generous with their knowledge and are always willing to lend others a hand.

Thank you friends.

9w1911
09-20-2015, 10:28 PM
I want to be a mod on swappin and selling and curb this recent rash of rip offs, seems like everyday there is a thread about someone not getting what they paid for.

Idaho Mule
09-20-2015, 10:42 PM
Lotta good folks here that's for sure. I guess I have been here for 3 yrs. or so??? but I tell you what, I have sure learned a lot. I have also been lucky enough (or obstinent) enough to meet lots of members face to face and all the ones I have met are damn good people. Honest, hard working, good folks. There is nothing better, just be that guy yourself and all is well. JW

Doggonekid
09-21-2015, 12:06 AM
Sometimes my post are silly. That is just me. But when I ask a question about something I want to know, I get lots of answers from people who have been there done that. I also would like to thank all the people who help keep this train moving.

runfiverun
09-21-2015, 04:47 PM
I want to be a mod on swappin and selling and curb this recent rash of rip offs, seems like everyday there is a thread about someone not getting what they paid for.

man,, this used to be such a rare thing.
I have bought stuff here while I was away at work with promise to pay when I got home [in 10-14 day's]
and the product was sitting in my p.o. box when I got there to mail the money order.

I don't envy oneokie one bit for him taking on the S&S section as moderator there. [I do envy his patience though]
remember that the S&S section is an agreement between the buyer and seller and the site really has no skin in the game.

PULSARNC
09-22-2015, 09:00 PM
been hanging around for many years ,lurked for a long time before joining in 2012. Most of my knowledge in boolit casting has come from you fine folks .I have been well pleased with responses to my questions .Sure I have seen some disagreements between members but by and large most were settled without bloodshed .A few occasions the pot boiled over and the mods had to step in but that is their job ,one which I am glad I do not have to do.We are all adults and should be able to agree to disagree with out taking it personal .Hope to meet up with some of the members close in to me in the future when time permits .

pjames32
09-24-2015, 09:38 AM
I've been here about a year and have been amazed first by the knowledge base which is why I joined. As I observed the forum I found the compassion of the members to each other made this forum different from any I had ever been a part of.
The mods seem to do a great job with the thankless task of moderating all of our crazy ideas and referee as well as they can. We are all sometimes cranky and "might" say something nasty.
Great forum!
PJ