PDA

View Full Version : Another First Cast

compass will
04-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Got my Lee pro pot and a 6 cavity .452 mold today. Followed direction, started casting with straight WW.

First 12 came out nice and shiny, but not sharp edges on the lube groves. Then the mold got hot enough and I must have cranked about about 50 well formed boolets, kind of frosty looking, but filled out nice.

then the mold stuck on the rear pin. The pin stuck in the hole and pulled out of the mold. I got the pin back into the hole, but now the mold don't close all the way. It's time to go to bed so I put everything away until this weekend. Off to a good start with Leeites I guess.

Still don't have a sizing die or top punch yet. They all measure around .453"

garandsrus
04-04-2008, 01:27 AM
Compass,

Congratulations! There is somewhat of a learning curve, but it's not too steep... You will be cranking out piles of boolits in no time.

Make sure you lube the pins. Bullshop lube works great!

John

Bret4207
04-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Chances are when the mould got hot the clearances narrowed a bit and a burr on the pin or hole stuck. Leementing is the answer. That and Bullshops lube.

compass will
04-04-2008, 07:23 AM
After reading all the Leementing stuff, I was amazed when i opened the mold and all 6 fell out.
In fact I smoked it with a butane lighter (no smoke). Only once or twice they stuck, but just hit them with my fingernail and they would drop right out. then the mold stuck shut, so I gave it a "technical yank" on the handles and the pin came out. Never did add any Tin to the mix, its just straight WW. I figured It would not hurt to try, I could always throw them back into the pot.