PDA

View Full Version : Headed North!

TXGunNut
09-16-2015, 11:03 PM
Been fighting the road trip bug, finally succumbed. Just put together a rough itinerary for a trip next month with stops in Raton, Cody, Crow Agency, and another stop in Raton. 2700 or so miles, 120 or so gallons of gas, a couple cases of shotgun shells, a few 45-90 rounds to fling at a certain steel buff, some BP and round balls, maybe a brick or so of 22's.
Will spend at least a day at the Cody Museum, anybody have a contact there? Just bought a membership and want to ask them a few questions. Oh, yes. I'll enjoy a steak at the Irma Hotel.

Kent Fowler
09-17-2015, 10:33 AM
There is an old extinct volcano east of Raton called Mt. Capulin. I grew up about 60 miles north of Amarillo and when I was about 10 yrs old in the late '50's, my mother and I were listening to the noon news. They were reporting that Mt. Capulin was erupting which caused a lot of excitement in the Panhandle. As it turned out,in the Amarillo paper the next morning, some enterprising soul, the previous night, had driven a good sized truck loaded with used tires he needed to get rid of, up the road that spiraled around Capulin to the top, dumped the tires and then set them on fire. When the fine folks of Raton woke up the next morning, they were treated to what they thought was a volcanic eruption when they saw the black smoke. Got to hand it to the guy, that was one of the best practical jokes I ever heard about.

sundog
09-17-2015, 11:03 AM
The museums at Cody are fantastic! Take a quick trip out to the dam, also. Interesting. The bus tours are pretty good, some include the dam. Worth it for a few bucks. We enjoyed our stay there.

Char-Gar
09-17-2015, 12:08 PM
When you get to the Irma Hotel, be certain and notice the bar. It is elaborately carved Rosewood, a gift from Queen Victoria to Bill Cody. The museum complex alone is worth the trip to Cody.

edler7
09-17-2015, 03:34 PM
If you are going to be in Raton, another 20 miles north is Trinidad, CO. The college there has a gunsmithing school started by P.O. Ackley in 1947.

Rufus Krile
09-17-2015, 03:42 PM
TXgunnut... Just made a similar trip last week. Spent one night and 2 days on the range at Raton. Went up through Dumas (gasoline at $1.79/gal... best place on the whole trip). Thing to remember about the buff is that it takes almost 3 seconds for the bullet to get there and about the same for the sound to get back. Maybe not enough time for a nap but a quick lunch could be worked in. Another thing to think about is elevation... you may need some blocks under your bench rest to get the barrel up enough... it was taking 125moa above my 100m sight setting to tag it. Consider a folding camp stool, too. The stools they have on the range are like a do-it-yourself prostate exam... a disposable camera would turn it in to a low-cost colonoscopy kit. The upside of the buff is he's easier to see in your sights than turkeys or rams. So, yup. Been there, done that, and I really did buy the t-shirt from the gift shop. enjoy.

Beerd
09-17-2015, 04:11 PM
Okay, the Cody Museum and Crow Agony for Custer Battlefield.

Yellowstone & Grand Teton can be nice in October if the snow isn't too deep.

swamp
09-17-2015, 07:33 PM
Wave as you pass thru.
swamp

Pumpkinheaver
09-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Sounds like my kind of trip!!! Have fun.

TXGunNut
09-17-2015, 09:54 PM
I've been to the Whittington Center more than a few times, feels a bit like home. Was looking for a place to hide out for a few days about 20 yrs ago and happened to show up there during BPCR National. Met Mike V & Steve Garbe and learned quite a bit about BPCR even though I didn't get interested in them until a few years ago. Shot and eventually helped run several PPC matches there over the years. I still go up there when I get an opportunity to skip town and clear my head. I think I have enough elevation in my long range tang sight, we'll see. Looking forward to shooing the antelope off the skeet & trap fields so I can shoot a few clay birds too.
Must admit I haven't enjoyed the view from the top of Capulin in awhile, hard to comprehend being able to see well over a hundred miles but on a clear day it's certainly possible.
Room rates at the Irma are actually quite reasonable. Spent a bit more for rooms @ the Super 8 back in 2007. Can easily walk to the museum from there as well. I think I'll book a couple of nights in the historic section.
Quite familiar with the bar at Irma's as well. ;-) Can't decide if I like it or the Menger in San Antonio better. I think I'll probably have to enjoy a drink at both of them in the near future. ;-)
It's been 8 years since I visited the Cody Museum and the Little Big Horn (Greasy Grass) monument and I've done quite a bit of reading (and Winchester "research") since then. I think it's time for a return trip so that I can appreciate them even more than I did last time.

Lloyd Smale
09-18-2015, 07:19 AM
Linebaugh seminar?? If so say hi for me.
Been fighting the road trip bug, finally succumbed. Just put together a rough itinerary for a trip next month with stops in Raton, Cody, Crow Agency, and another stop in Raton. 2700 or so miles, 120 or so gallons of gas, a couple cases of shotgun shells, a few 45-90 rounds to fling at a certain steel buff, some BP and round balls, maybe a brick or so of 22's.
Will spend at least a day at the Cody Museum, anybody have a contact there? Just bought a membership and want to ask them a few questions. Oh, yes. I'll enjoy a steak at the Irma Hotel.

TXGunNut
09-18-2015, 11:21 PM
Linebaugh seminar?? If so say hi for me.

No, just a research and mental health break.

35 shooter
09-18-2015, 11:33 PM
Sounds like a great trip amigo. Have a great time, but drive safe and enjoy!

leadman
09-19-2015, 02:57 PM
We went to the Cody firearms museum about 2002. I was hoping to see the Rolling Block that my Pedersoli is copied from but it was still in Italy. If we go again I am going to take at least 2 days for the museum.
Have a safe trip.

TXGunNut
09-20-2015, 01:16 AM
Thanks. I do have an extra day. May want to allow another day to allow for a second look at a few things and a more leisurely pace.

Fishman
09-20-2015, 08:23 AM
Yep, get your gas in Dalhart before you get to Raton or Colorado. Price difference was 80 cents a couple weeks ago. $1.89 in Dalhart.

Loved the Caplan volcano story.