PDA

View Full Version : Tv show- diggers

GOPHER SLAYER
09-16-2015, 04:08 PM
I often watch this stupid show but I am at a loss to explain why. Nit-pic I guess. These two nerds travel the country with metal detectors looking for historical artifacts. They rarely find anything of consequence. When they do find some minor trinket they do back flips and cart wheels and generally act like third graders finding out they are going to Disneyland. On the episode last night they were looking for Lewis & Clark camp site. The biggest dufus of the two found what was obviously an old single barrel shotgun minus the barrel and stock. He went berserk. When he finally calmed down they called up the fire arms expert. He proceeded to tell them that it was a great find because it was the action from a Sharps rifle. They had previously found some old rim fire brass. The expert took one of these cases and held it against the back of the frame and said these cases were fired in this rifle. This was worse than some of the things you see on Pawn Stars when someone brings in an old.

ShooterAZ
09-16-2015, 04:31 PM
I'd love to be able to detect at some of the spots they get permission to hunt. I agree though...the reactions of finding stuff are WAY overdone, and I suspect they are paid to act like that. Entertainment value I suppose.

edler7
09-16-2015, 05:17 PM
They both need to switch to decaf. I find the premise of the show interesting, but can't watch it due to the behavior of those two.

mtnman31
09-16-2015, 05:24 PM
The show looked interesting when I read the synopsis. Tried to see what it was about. I don't think I lasted five minutes watching that junk.

gunauthor
09-16-2015, 05:53 PM
Thanks to one and all, it looks like I dodged the bullet. I've never seen this program and now don't think I will.......

Riverpigusmc
09-16-2015, 06:58 PM
My 9 year old loves the show. Enough said

those guys are moonbats

rondog
09-16-2015, 06:59 PM
Ever seen the TV commercials for Sonic Drive-Ins with the two goofballs in the car? Imagine them with metal detectors.....

GSM
09-16-2015, 07:41 PM
It's on the same level as Pickers and most of the other "manufactured" reality shows. Sit through one and you've seen them all.

starmac
09-16-2015, 08:27 PM
Sounds like I am glad I haven't seen it. I have heard of it, but assumed it was another gold mining show.

bob208
09-16-2015, 08:41 PM
so we are not missing anything by not having cable or satellite.

PULSARNC
09-16-2015, 09:28 PM
Many of the reality shows were interesting for the first season or so Past about two years it becomes about manufactured drama.Think airplane repo.Anyone trying half the antics these guys pull would be looking at some serious federal time

MaryB
09-16-2015, 10:14 PM
They would have freaked as the guys dug out this old stump to make way for my garage. I found 2 silver quarters, half a dozen newer pennies, square nails, an old glass insulator(trees used to hold the power lines in town), and some glass fragments of old bottles. As the stump rotated out of the hole I signaled the guy on the backhoe to hold up, the quarters were wedged in the roots, nails fell from the dirt between them along with the old insulator(gave that to the hoe operator, his wife collects them) and the glass was scattered in the hole. Stump left a 4 foot diameter hole.

Pumpkinheaver
09-16-2015, 10:31 PM
They both need to switch to decaf. I find the premise of the show interesting, but can't watch it due to the behavior of those two.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts!

Digger
09-16-2015, 10:38 PM
Yeah , they give some of us detecting people a bad name ....
Love the hobby , never have enough time with all the history here in the Carson City area , Lake Tahoe .
Have a few goodies but have been distracted also with this darn "casting" thing.
Those two I watched for a few minutes and said "nope" , turned it off .
found better stuff but did not go and broad cast it to the world ....

GOPHER SLAYER
09-16-2015, 11:26 PM
Addendum#1. I was in a old gold mining area once with my brother and he wanted to try out his new metal detector. His idea was for him to swing the metal detector and I do the digging. After a few hours of digging up beer can tabs, old nails and the occasional rusty horse shoe I said, how about we switch jobs. Surprise, surprise, the searching didn't last long after that. In the 1960s I often read treasure magazines and I couldn't help wonder why no one ever found anything of value until finally the light came on. The people who found a hoard of gold or silver simply kept their mouth shut, something the couple in central California realized too late when they found an old rusty can filled with 20 dollar gold pieces while out for a morning stroll. Suddenly the mint in San Francisco claimed that was just the amount of 20 dollar gold coins stolen from them way back when. I worked with a man many years ago who came across an old mining town in Utah while hunting deer. He showed me pictures of the old houses and early vehicles. He made several trips there and found jars of coins buried in the various yards. That was common in small mining towns since there were no banks around. If a man got sick he often died without telling anyone where he hid his money. After all, why should he? If he died it wouldn't matter and if he lived he could dig it up himself. If really sick they were usually gone in three or four days. On one trip my friend found a Winchester '73 hidden inside a double wall. I don't know what happened to any of his finds. He became an alcoholic and died quite young. I think the beach would be one of the best places to search for buried treasure, especially on a Monday after a long weekend.

GSM
09-16-2015, 11:49 PM
Somewhere on youtube there is a series videos where a true "amateur" guy goes to abandoned areas and finds some interesting stuff. No where near the amount of fake, corn syrup drenched emotional nonsense the commercial stuff broadcasts.

The "actors" don't even make the fake hype / emotion believable any more. I guess, if you can sell commercial time, it airs.

xs11jack
09-17-2015, 01:04 AM
I am with you guys, Diggers is full of it that I watched 1/2 of a show and became nauseated. I have metal detected since the early 80's and searched the LA area beaches. If these guys didn't have sponsors, they couldn't afford batteries for their detectors.
Ole Jack

Kent Fowler
09-17-2015, 10:01 AM
Methinks this show is just cheap filler material until the regular season starts. Surely, they can't be paying these guys very much for gyrating and foaming at the mouth when they dig up a rusty pipe fitting.

DLCTEX
09-17-2015, 08:08 PM
I watched part of one episode. I won't even watch it if bored.

starmac
09-17-2015, 08:14 PM
Methinks this show is just cheap filler material until the regular season starts. Surely, they can't be paying these guys very much for gyrating and foaming at the mouth when they dig up a rusty pipe fitting.

I don't have a clue what they pay guys like that. I do know that MOST of the truckers in ice road truckers were paid exactly nothing. I have never worked directly for the company featured in the show, but from what I understand the guys that were, did not even have a choice of to be on the show or not.

MaryB
09-17-2015, 09:04 PM
That couple ended up getting to keep them. A judge said there was zero evidence proving they belonged to the mint.

Addendum#1. I was in a old gold mining area once with my brother and he wanted to try out his new metal detector. His idea was for him to swing the metal detector and I do the digging. After a few hours of digging up beer can tabs, old nails and the occasional rusty horse shoe I said, how about we switch jobs. Surprise, surprise, the searching didn't last long after that. In the 1960s I often read treasure magazines and I couldn't help wonder why no one ever found anything of value until finally the light came on. The people who found a hoard of gold or silver simply kept their mouth shut, something the couple in central California realized too late when they found an old rusty can filled with 20 dollar gold pieces while out for a morning stroll. Suddenly the mint in San Francisco claimed that was just the amount of 20 dollar gold coins stolen from them way back when. I worked with a man many years ago who came across an old mining town in Utah while hunting deer. He showed me pictures of the old houses and early vehicles. He made several trips there and found jars of coins buried in the various yards. That was common in small mining towns since there were no banks around. If a man got sick he often died without telling anyone where he hid his money. After all, why should he? If he died it wouldn't matter and if he lived he could dig it up himself. If really sick they were usually gone in three or four days. On one trip my friend found a Winchester '73 hidden inside a double wall. I don't know what happened to any of his finds. He became an alcoholic and died quite young. I think the beach would be one of the best places to search for buried treasure, especially on a Monday after a long weekend.

MaryB
09-17-2015, 09:07 PM
I have been wanting to get a metal detector. There is an old abandoned gold mining town near me that had a saloon, whorehouse etc. They never pulled much gold from there but I guess the town was there for 20 years or so until the sheriff finally shut them down.

Digger
09-17-2015, 10:39 PM
I think the beach would be one of the best places to search for buried treasure, especially on a Monday after a long weekend. ... Gopher Slayer

Found a small item on the beach in Zephyr Cove on Lake Tahoe a few years back ... besides the usual coin here and there .. got a good sharp signal , hand dug in the sand a bit and found it.
At first I could not figure it out , then it dawned on me , ... it was a large "gold" molar crown ! .. of all things.
Betcha one late night drunk session and a couple of dudes had at it with one of them on the receiving end of a darn good punch !

montana_charlie
09-18-2015, 02:45 PM
they were looking for Lewis & Clark camp site.

When he finally calmed down they called up the fire arms expert. He proceeded to tell them that it was a great find because it was the action from a Sharps rifle.
The Sharps rifle didn't arrive on the market until about forty years after Lewis & Clark took their hike.

Ever seen the TV commercials for Sonic Drive-Ins with the two goofballs in the car? Imagine them with metal detectors.....

You got a genuine belly laugh from me on that analogy.

Good one ...

bubba.50
09-18-2015, 03:00 PM
there was one of these shows that featured a bunch stereotypical southern rednecks findin' treasures in the swamp wherever they were. in an episode I watched they got all slobber-mouthed over an Italian reproduction 1858 Remington "antique" pistol they found(with still about 90% blue remainin') & sat around pontificatin' on what confederate general it may have belonged to. made me want to sell them some "valuable antique artifacts".

stubert
09-18-2015, 03:12 PM
The only thing I got out of the show was an interest in detecting. Shows dumb though.

Digger
09-18-2015, 04:20 PM
the best thing about detecting is the fact that one has to research their local history ..
and that can be fascinating in itself.

tdoyka
09-18-2015, 10:20 PM
The show looked interesting when I read the synopsis. Tried to see what it was about. I don't think I lasted five minutes watching that junk.

x2
it was junk before
it is junk now
it will be junk afterwards