PDA

View Full Version : My first cast with Accurate brass mold

stillhere
09-15-2015, 04:55 PM
I recently got the mold and decided to take it for a spin. I had Tom delete the gas check and make it a plain base and also drop the weight from 250 to 240 grains.

I like this design because of the small meplat and ample bearing surface. This is my first brass mold. My other two are Accurates as well; a .454 255 grain two cav and a .360 158 grain 4 cav. Frankly, while I am delighted with his molds, I now wish I'd gotten the brass intead of the aluminum for the other two. They all make great bullets but the brass is far more tolerant of inconsistencies in pace and yet it turns out the most consistent bullets. If anything, I found that holding them in the mold longer than necessary gave them a more finely textured satiny finish which I'm quite sure is the result of slower cooling which in turn makes the surface antimony crystals smaller.

Anyway, thought I'd share.

GabbyM
09-15-2015, 07:45 PM
I'm another big fan of AccurateMolds by Tom. I only have one but it's a dandy.

Leadmelter
09-16-2015, 12:08 AM
AccurateMolds have been very good to me also.
Leadmelter
MI

44man
09-16-2015, 12:41 PM
You can't beat them but they are HEAVY. I also needed a tad more mold heat. Perfection is the boolits.

mart
09-17-2015, 12:51 AM
I have two of his. They are great.

hermans
09-17-2015, 03:26 AM
Tom's brass molds are of the finest money can buy....unfortunately I have only one!

GabbyM
09-17-2015, 09:48 AM
You can't beat them but they are HEAVY. I also needed a tad more mold heat. Perfection is the boolits.

Brass is heavy however. Mine is in Magma machine compatible blocks so I just mount it into my Master Caster and it carries the weight. My Accurate mold is a 220 grain 30 caliber flat nose. With shallow lube groves. It's a beast of a thumper. I need to get it tested good.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=134641&d=1426964408

Dragonheart
09-17-2015, 07:21 PM
I don't have any Accurate Molds, but I do have 4 brass NOE molds and I most definitely agree with your findings. The solution to your problem of holding the mold longer is to do what I do and buy two molds and run them simultaneously. I have two identical molds for all my regulars, but if you don't mind sorting you can run two different molds. Running two you can pour and drop as fast as you can switch the two and you will most definitely turn out a lot more bullets for the time spent. I use a RCBS Pro Melt, which holds 20#s and about the time the lead is expended a break is warranted as running two 4 cavity brass molds is a workout. I also have a 3/16" stainless plate affixed to my Pro Melt for the molds to sit on during the exchange. The stainless doesn't appear to transfer the heat off the molds as fast as other surfaces so the molds stay hot.

mozeppa
09-17-2015, 07:30 PM
after nearly a year trying to wring 8 molds outta " Hardline "....i got 2 from tom within a month ordered 10 days apart!

awesome customer service!

stillhere
09-17-2015, 07:55 PM
I don't have any Accurate Molds, but I do have 4 brass NOE molds and I most definitely agree with your findings. The solution to your problem of holding the mold longer is to do what I do and buy two molds and run them simultaneously. I have two identical molds for all my regulars, but if you don't mind sorting you can run two different molds. Running two you can pour and drop as fast as you can switch the two and you will most definitely turn out a lot more bullets for the time spent. I use a RCBS Pro Melt, which holds 20#s and about the time the lead is expended a break is warranted as running two 4 cavity brass molds is a workout. I also have a 3/16" stainless plate affixed to my Pro Melt for the molds to sit on during the exchange. The stainless doesn't appear to transfer the heat off the molds as fast as other surfaces so the molds stay hot.
I could double up but one of the other benefits I found to brass is that I can take my time and move carefully, which my wrists definitely appreciate. If I do anything, it will be to sell the two Accurate aluminum molds and replace them with brass equivalents. I think my wrists will thank me.

Dragonheart
09-17-2015, 10:06 PM
I understand completely, as I said two 4 cavity brass molds is a workout and even more so for an old man like me, but I do like the production. I personally am not fond of aluminum molds as steel and brass are so easy to keep up and should last a lifetime or more.

44man
09-18-2015, 08:35 AM
The only thing missing from Tom's molds are ear ring attachments because they are like jewelry. :drinks:

mongoose33
09-18-2015, 09:39 PM
I have a couple aluminum Accurate molds; what struck me about them is how much more aluminum is in them compared to Lee molds which, as far as I can tell, helps them hold heat better than the smaller molds:

The accurate mold is on the top in the first pic, on the left in the second pic. All the more interesting as the Accurate is a 4-cavity mold (9mm), the Lee is a 6-cavity mold.

Going to have to think about a brass mold, see how it does.