PDA

View Full Version : Watchwere the internet sends you

popper
09-15-2015, 02:01 PM
Short story, wife wants to refi. Sends some data to a refi site (refinance.com). Gets a call from quicken loans. I'm shooting so I get a call back. Everything OK so far, I think. Then I re-think, call quicken and yup, their employee, other site just an Ad site Co. for referrals. But wait, as the infomercial says, I Bing'd quicken loans on her computer, same browser, AVG. Oops, different looking site, contact number AND no security certs, IP blocked, Bing search says 'official' site, etc. Refi--.com has no certs, IP blocked etc. Disabled Bing search on her machine, along with a bunch of other searchers. Ready to delete the KB 'bad' fixes on mine. Warning, there is little to no security on the net! Confirmed by knowing an IT manager at Intuit, he is NOT a security person. No wonder the US Gov. (and MOST US companies) gets hacked so much. BTW, VA re-fi WILL inspect to verify your home condition, will NOT guarantee the loan unless ALL is fixed plus your re-fi company may have you locked into a conv. loan if VA fails. Seems like the USA is full of crooks and snakes anymore. No dissing here, just warning.

starmac
09-15-2015, 02:11 PM
Imagine that.

Paul_R
09-15-2015, 02:13 PM
I refinanced my VA loan thru BofA about 5 years ago, no inspection or appraisal. About 20 minutes in the office is all it took.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-15-2015, 04:30 PM
my wife had heard of lending tree she fills out an app because they had this great teaser rate posted hours later I am getting phone calls , and she has a bout a dozen emails from this bank and that bank , they just pass out your info to every they all want to give us a loan but not one at the rate she wanted

bankers the only people that could ever anger the prince of peace so much he became physical and turned over their tables , think about that the guy who could was beaten and hung on the cross till dead with little more than somber words , was so angered by them that he overturned the bankers tables.

Handloader109
09-15-2015, 08:28 PM
Just finished purchasing our new home. Decided I'd go thru the local bank we've been using for 4yrs. Thought it would be better to sit across the table rather than across the internet. First they were OK, but had issues with the appraisal. Then they screwed up the heloc we were going to take out to keep over 20% . was supposed to use the equity in my prior home to secure, but the idiot didn't do that. He came up with two loans on my cars and a small unsecured loan to cover. Stupid. Appraiser wouldn't determine value. So we said screw it and went back to my credit union. Ended up lower rate, easier, absolutely no hassle and closed on time.

Rustyleee
09-15-2015, 09:05 PM
We did a refi with Quicken. everything went off with out a hitch.

JWFilips
09-15-2015, 09:17 PM
My wife told me never search for "Dick's Big Sale"! She wanted to buy some Tennis stuff!... She showed me what she had found ...I was emasculated!:roll:

mjwcaster
09-15-2015, 09:21 PM
Search for 'online address change' for mail.
You get a site that wants $20 (or more) to do an address change.

Had a friend that was going to do an address change and she was complaining about the price.
I did a quick search and told her to pay more attention, she wasn't on the USPS site (still free at the PO, and I think you can do it cheap or free online, can't remember which).

She just searched address change and clicked on the first link.

I wonder how many people actually pay that much for a free service, without noticing that they are not even on the USPS site?

Hmm, just tried a search and all I got was official USPS results, not sure if something has changed or I just use better search terms.

Matt

CastingFool
09-15-2015, 09:39 PM
I stopped using banks a long time ago. All my finances go through a local credit union. I did use a bank 20 yrs ago when we purchased our present home, but later on, found out we could refinance through our credit union. Much simpler and cheaper. Also, they allowed us to make weekly payments instead of one monthly payment, reducing the interest we were paying. Plus, we were paying extra on the principal. House has been paid off for 6 yrs now.

fecmech
09-16-2015, 10:10 AM
My wife told me never search for "Dick's Big Sale"! She wanted to buy some Tennis stuff!... She showed me what she had found ...I was emasculated!:roll:
A year or so ago I was doing a search for .357 maximum data and clicked on one result. Got a picture of a women full frontal on a toilet! Could not click off it, could not close my browser. Hard shut down on my computer and when it came back up it went straight to the browser and picture. I had to wipe my hard drive and use my backup external to restore my computer.

popper
09-16-2015, 03:48 PM
Paul - interesting, I called the VA (which doesn't have a good rep in texas), stated they just do inspection and loan guarantee, nothing else.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-16-2015, 03:59 PM
Search for 'online address change' for mail.
You get a site that wants $20 (or more) to do an address change.

Had a friend that was going to do an address change and she was complaining about the price.
I did a quick search and told her to pay more attention, she wasn't on the USPS site (still free at the PO, and I think you can do it cheap or free online, can't remember which).

She just searched address change and clicked on the first link.

I wonder how many people actually pay that much for a free service, without noticing that they are not even on the USPS site?

Hmm, just tried a search and all I got was official USPS results, not sure if something has changed or I just use better search terms.

Matt

worse yet the USPS doesn't make you prove who you are to forward or stop your mail they think a felony is enough to discourage people, my aunt uncle didn't get any mail for a few days then they got a call from from a bank , not good the letter that was supposed to tell them about the card or loan or whatever it was, was forwarded to the criminal if your already stealing identities whats a little mail fraud.