PDA

View Full Version : Need advice 300 ACC case trimming

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 01:02 AM
I'm about to start casting for 300 ACC Blackout and didn't want to break the bank on a case trimming option. As nice as Sinclair/Wilson trimmer would be, it's just not in the budget. What do people recommend to clean accurate case trimming that's going to work ever time and will get the job done nicely without spending more than $100.

358 Yeti
09-15-2015, 01:12 AM
The Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer is hands down the best method for fast, accurate trimming. I use a similar style trimmer for my 277wlv (a slightly longer cased necked down 300blk) and it is easily one of be best reloading related purchases

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 01:24 AM
The Little Crow Worlds Finest Trimmer is hands down the best method for fast, accurate trimming. I use a similar style trimmer for my 277wlv (a slightly longer cased necked down 300blk) and it is easily one of be best reloading related purchases

Awesome, thanks for the advice.

xacex
09-15-2015, 01:24 AM
giraud now makes a hand held one that blows away anything available besides a Dillon trimmer. I have used a lee quick-trim deluxe and liked it it works better than the Forster I started with, but the Giraud is way better. They come in right at $98. I would go with one of those over a LCGW trimmer because you do not have to chamfer/debur, and Giraud is a well respected company in the reloading business so you know you will have future support with the product.

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

Hamish
09-15-2015, 01:28 AM
Check out the YouTube videos by CB member VonZep, between his trim jig and a Harbor Feight mini saw you'll be under your price point. Amazingly fast and easy to use.

http://youtu.be/2rySmFSnk0U

I like to chop them a hair long and finish trim with the Foster.

In watching a couple videos on the Little Crow I wondered about any potential issues as it indexes off the shoulder. Interesting idea. Like anything else, you need to pay attention to chambering hen setting your dies.

http://youtu.be/LPnYJxu47_Y

xacex
09-15-2015, 01:30 AM
Check out the YouTube videos by CB member VonZep, between his trim jig and a Harbor Feight mini saw you'll be under your price point. Amazingly fast and easy to use.
Definitely get his jig for cutting down the cases! Worth the money hands down.

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 02:31 AM
giraud now makes a hand held one that blows away anything available besides a Dillon trimmer. I have used a lee quick-trim deluxe and liked it it works better than the Forster I started with, but the Giraud is way better. They come in right at $98. I would go with one of those over a LCGW trimmer because you do not have to chamfer/debur, and Giraud is a well respected company in the reloading business so you know you will have future support with the product.

http://www.giraudtool.com/Tri%20Way%20Trimmer.htm

Nice! Thanks.

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 02:32 AM

http://youtu.be/2rySmFSnk0U

I like to chop them a hair long and finish trim with the Foster.

In watching a couple videos on the Little Crow I wondered about any potential issues as it indexes off the shoulder. Interesting idea. Like anything else, you need to pay attention to chambering hen setting your dies.

http://youtu.be/LPnYJxu47_Y

That looks pretty nice. Except I am pissed off at Harbor Freight for sending me to arbor presses, in a row, with the same missing part :/

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 02:35 AM
Definitely get his jig for cutting down the cases! Worth the money hands down.

That guy is flying... which saw is that, anyone have a link?

Sasquatch-1
09-15-2015, 06:30 AM
If you have a drill press check out some of the brass trimming videos on youtube. Also to trim 40 S&W for jackets I use a hand drill, lee three jaw universal chuck and a tubing cutter from the plumbing supply department.

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 08:14 AM
If you have a drill press check out some of the brass trimming videos on youtube. Also to trim 40 S&W for jackets I use a hand drill, lee three jaw universal chuck and a tubing cutter from the plumbing supply department.

Great advice thanks!

GhostHawk
09-15-2015, 08:22 AM
I started out trimming, standard cutter gets dull after a bit and starts leaving a rolled edge on the neck lip.

So I just adjusted my jig on the cheap harbor frieght cutter and don't trim at all. It helps that mine is a single shot H&R with a generous chamber. So I set my jig to take off the shoulder and just a sliver. Run them through sizing die, expander, and just a touch is needed by the chamfer tool.

If you are going to do a lot I'd get the little crow.

But if you set the jig up correctly you would not have to have one.

Maximumbob54
09-15-2015, 08:41 AM
I can vouch for the WFT in .223 as being most accurate than any mini lathe style trimmer I've used yet. Once the shoulder is set back by FL sizing then the WFT cuts to a super precise length. I'm not sure if the same would hold true with neck sizing though.

NavyVet1959
09-15-2015, 09:37 AM
I have the Wilson trimmer that I use for making .300 AAC and although I like the design of it, I'm not sure it is the most efficient way of doing it. The shell holders are accurate, but having to knock the shells into the holder and knock them out probably takes more time than the other solutions that just grip the base of the brass. You need to make a mounting plate for Wilson system and I added a wooden lever arm that could press against the shell holder so that I am not having to hold it with my hand. Making that system work with a power drill can be done by replacing the handle with two nuts and a washer. This allows you to just use a normal socket to turn the handle.

I'm getting ready to convert some .30-06 brass to 7.7x58 and haven't decided if I want to go the Wilson way or give the Lee system a try. Wilson says that I would need a custom shell holder for the 7.7x58 and that brings the price up to $31.50 for the shell holder and shipping. This is enough that both the cutter and die for the Lee Quick Trim might be an option. Since I'm starting with .30-06, maybe the .30-06 holder would work, depending upon whether I do the trimming at the start of the conversion or at the end. Wilson said that I would need to send them some spent cartridges so that they can make the holder to the right dimensions, but that's kind of a "chicken and the egg" thing since I need to convert the cartridges before I can get the spent cartridges to send to them. Whereas the Wilson system indexes off the base of the cartridge, it appears that the Lee Quick Trim system is indexing off the shoulder and the Lee Zip Trim system is indexing off the inside of the primer hole. If you are using an assortment of brass types, I could see how indexing off the inside of the primer hole could result in possibly different OALs since some brass has thicker bases than others.

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 08:41 PM
I started out trimming, standard cutter gets dull after a bit and starts leaving a rolled edge on the neck lip.

So I just adjusted my jig on the cheap harbor frieght cutter and don't trim at all. It helps that mine is a single shot H&R with a generous chamber. So I set my jig to take off the shoulder and just a sliver. Run them through sizing die, expander, and just a touch is needed by the chamfer tool.

If you are going to do a lot I'd get the little crow.

But if you set the jig up correctly you would not have to have one.

Great thanks!

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 08:42 PM
I can vouch for the WFT in .223 as being most accurate than any mini lathe style trimmer I've used yet. Once the shoulder is set back by FL sizing then the WFT cuts to a super precise length. I'm not sure if the same would hold true with neck sizing though.

Good to hear a positive endorsement.

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 08:44 PM
I have the Wilson trimmer that I use for making .300 AAC and although I like the design of it, I'm not sure it is the most efficient way of doing it. The shell holders are accurate, but having to knock the shells into the holder and knock them out probably takes more time than the other solutions that just grip the base of the brass. You need to make a mounting plate for Wilson system and I added a wooden lever arm that could press against the shell holder so that I am not having to hold it with my hand. Making that system work with a power drill can be done by replacing the handle with two nuts and a washer. This allows you to just use a normal socket to turn the handle.

I'm getting ready to convert some .30-06 brass to 7.7x58 and haven't decided if I want to go the Wilson way or give the Lee system a try. Wilson says that I would need a custom shell holder for the 7.7x58 and that brings the price up to $31.50 for the shell holder and shipping. This is enough that both the cutter and die for the Lee Quick Trim might be an option. Since I'm starting with .30-06, maybe the .30-06 holder would work, depending upon whether I do the trimming at the start of the conversion or at the end. Wilson said that I would need to send them some spent cartridges so that they can make the holder to the right dimensions, but that's kind of a "chicken and the egg" thing since I need to convert the cartridges before I can get the spent cartridges to send to them. Whereas the Wilson system indexes off the base of the cartridge, it appears that the Lee Quick Trim system is indexing off the shoulder and the Lee Zip Trim system is indexing off the inside of the primer hole. If you are using an assortment of brass types, I could see how indexing off the inside of the primer hole could result in possibly different OALs since some brass has thicker bases than others.

You see, this the conundrum I am in. I have the lee quick trim system, all I need is the 300 ACC BLK quick trim die, but since I've never really done any case trimming other than trimming the necks of my .223/5.56 I'm a bit at a loss as to the best way to go soup to nuts on the 300 ACC cases.

NavyVet1959
09-15-2015, 09:24 PM
You see, this the conundrum I am in. I have the lee quick trim system, all I need is the 300 ACC BLK quick trim die, but since I've never really done any case trimming other than trimming the necks of my .223/5.56 I'm a bit at a loss as to the best way to go soup to nuts on the 300 ACC cases.

I know the feeling. I started a thread concerning options for converting from .30-06 brass to 7.7x58.

From my emails with Lee, it seems that the .30-06 QT cannot trim short enough for the 7.7x58 and the 7.7x58 QT is a custom order. I'm trying to avoid the cost and delay of custom orders.

For the .300 AAC though, my procedure for the Wilson trimmer is:

Rough cut the .223 brass at the shoulder.
Put brass in trimmer set for .300 AAC max OAL. This will clean up the rough cut.
Touch up the mouth of the brass with the chamfer tool.
Run brass through the .300 AAC sizing die.
Put back in trimmer set for .300 AAC max OAL. This will shorten whatever it gained during the resizing.
Touch up the mouth of the brass with the chamfer tool.

I'm using an electric drill with a socket on it to power my Wilson trimmer.

I would like to be able to use something like the Lee Quick Trim system for trimming brass since it is probably quicker to change brass in the shell holder than with the Wilson system.

curator
09-15-2015, 11:00 PM
detroitcharlie,

If you are planning on casting fr the .300 AAC keep in mind that some brass is too thick to chamber with cast boolits of .310 diameter. PM me for a list of both good and bad brass for converting 5.56 Nato/223 Rem to .300AAC Blackout.

detroitcharlie
09-15-2015, 11:38 PM
detroitcharlie,

If you are planning on casting fr the .300 AAC keep in mind that some brass is too thick to chamber with cast boolits of .310 diameter. PM me for a list of both good and bad brass for converting 5.56 Nato/223 Rem to .300AAC Blackout.

Yeah I was actually looking at that Milhec HP mold in the group buys. Or the Lee mold. I have a lot of mil brass. What have you found works best for 300 acc blk?

Hamish
09-16-2015, 10:02 AM
I've been very pleased with the NOE 310-196FN in the AR:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1858

dragon813gt
09-16-2015, 12:52 PM
I know it's not the cheapest. And certainly not the fastest. But the Forster trimmer is the most versatile. I have one of the three way cutters on it which saves me a lot of time. Don't have to chamfer or deburr as it's all done in one pass. Plus you can neck turn, neck ream and hollow point a bullet w/ the proper tooling. Not cheap or fast but very versatile. It's able to hold tolerances to .001 which is another plus.

xacex
09-16-2015, 01:08 PM
I know it's not the cheapest. And certainly not the fastest. But the Forster trimmer is the most versatile. I have one of the three way cutters on it which saves me a lot of time. Don't have to chamfer or deburr as it's all done in one pass. Plus you can neck turn, neck ream and hollow point a bullet w/ the proper tooling. Not cheap or fast but very versatile. It's able to hold tolerances to .001 which is another plus.
Between you and me, I have both this one, and the lee quick trim and the quick trim is more consistent, and faster. The Giraud trimmer I posted it about as good as it gets without going to the Dillon electric trimmer. Case prep is a pain, and with 300 BLK you will want lots of cases. Make your life easier.

detroitcharlie
09-16-2015, 11:23 PM
I've been very pleased with the NOE 310-196FN in the AR:

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product_info.php?cPath=30&products_id=1858

I looked at this, how is it with 1:9 twist?

detroitcharlie
09-16-2015, 11:24 PM

I'll check it out thanks!

detroitcharlie
09-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Between you and me, I have both this one, and the lee quick trim and the quick trim is more consistent, and faster. The Giraud trimmer I posted it about as good as it gets without going to the Dillon electric trimmer. Case prep is a pain, and with 300 BLK you will want lots of cases. Make your life easier.

Excellent advice thank you!

vonzep
09-17-2015, 08:48 AM
There are many ways to skin the cat. The hf saw works well and if you are really tight on mo ey, some jb weld can get you a homemade jig to rough cut. Then CTS, WFT or the crow to get the exact finish trim quickly. Some people use a tubing cutter to do the rough cut and save even more.

I prefer a jig, hf saw, a CTS trimmer and just be done with it.

Visit www.300BlkTalk.com for a list of good bad and ugly brass.

David

vonzep
09-17-2015, 08:51 AM
You may also want to look at a sheridan slotted ammo gauge as a sure fire way to ensure your case forming is correct. A nice tool but not essential.

sparky45
09-17-2015, 09:52 AM
I have the "vonzep" setup and believe me, it's a very fast and accurate method to trim .223 brass down and make 300 Blackout. I then tumble the brass in SS media and eliminate the need for deburring and chamfering. I use the WFT trimmer for final trim to length and load, easy peasy.

Hamish
09-17-2015, 11:35 AM
I looked at this, how is it with 1:9 twist?

I have a 1:10 barrel, 1:9 should be no problem, even better if you are looking for subsonic work.

Depending on on whether you want fast or slow or both, lots of good mold designs out there. Www.300BlkTalk.com is a very good idea.

BTW, VonZep doesn't just make just the one jig,,,,,,

detroitcharlie
09-17-2015, 01:06 PM
I have a 1:10 barrel, 1:9 should be no problem, even better if you are looking for subsonic work.

Depending on on whether you want fast or slow or both, lots of good mold designs out there. Www.300BlkTalk.com (http://Www.300BlkTalk.com) is a very good idea.

BTW, VonZep doesn't just make just the one jig,,,,,,

Thanks! =]

armexman
09-17-2015, 05:23 PM
DTC, LC is IMO a good brass for 300. save commercial brass for the handi-rifle

Driveapiper
09-19-2015, 11:30 PM
I have trimmer brass for years with the inexpensive lee trimmer intended to be used by hand. The one with the pilot / length gauge which screws onto the cutter and is turned by hand while the case is held in a holder which can be chucked in a hand drill. I simply force fit a short piece of rubber hose over the outside of the cutter so my fingers can't get sliced up by the edge of the cutter then chuck the cutter in my drill press. I then can trim cases as fast as I can change cases in the holder. The drill press never has to be stopped and is stationary so all I have to do is tighten the case in the holder and slip it up over the pilot of the cutter and bingo case is trimmed. You can even precisely adjust the trim length by stoning the pilot tip to yield the exact trim length desired. Dirt cheap, fast and more consistent trim lengths than anything else I have ever used.

Tyler Anderson
10-11-2015, 04:28 PM
I I first use the redding file trim die, and cut the protruding brass off with a coping saw. This is extremely fast and easy.
I then deprive and set the shoulder with my sizing die. The case mouth is usually a little rough so the next step is to trim in my little crow trimmer.
It is easy and produces nice brass

Big Dog
10-11-2015, 07:12 PM
xxxxx

NavyVet1959
10-12-2015, 09:33 AM
my preferred method of cutting down 5.56 cases to make .300 Blackout

https://youtu.be/TwZ78yj_NR8

What are you using to hold the cases and what type of milling / drill bit are you using?

osteodoc08
10-12-2015, 02:04 PM
I've used the WFT when processing 223/308 brass. It works well, fairly quick and repeatable trim length. Is it as quick and nice as the Giuraud? No. But the cost is substantially less and it works. It is a mindless task with the WFT and you can sit and watch TV and leisurely trim brass. Just be prepared for all the brass shavings

Big Dog
10-12-2015, 02:36 PM
xxxxx

Big Dog
12-26-2015, 06:54 PM
xxxxx