PDA

View Full Version : 357 mag carbine bullet expansion - .360-180-rf

outdoorfan
09-12-2015, 05:48 PM
Actually, what got me thinking about making this post was this other post (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?287534-Who-says-cast-bullets-don-t-expand) that specifically addressed the 30-30 class cartridge and it's relative speed and performance. Specifically posts 1 & 3 of that thread, and the subsequent videos that go along with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVnjG1LhO0Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJkwKSVFzTY

I remember reading somewhere (I think Paco) that the 357 mag in a carbine is just as potent to 100 yards as the 30-30 is. Although I don't have the experience on actual game, I think the penetration and expansion tests more or less demonstrate that.

Some time back I did some milk jug expansion testing with the Rossi 92 in 357 mag using the Group Buy 360-180-RF, which casts to about 190 grains with 50/50 alloy. Bhn is 8.5-9. I have the plain-based version of this mold, and I attach pb checks to the base. This works just fine. Btw, meplat is .28.

I shot these bullets over the chronograph and into milk jugs at four different velocity levels. The one that isn't recorded in the picture is the 1,400 velocity level, where the bullet still deformed well, expanding nicely.

Note: I shot these 1 gallon milk jugs at point blank range, and I downloaded the loads in an effort to assimilate impact velocities at useful ranges that this 1800 fps load would be used at.

I don't have pictures or video of the process other than the recovered bullets, but I took careful notes.

Here's what I wrote in my notes:

1800 fps: Fully penetrated 5 jugs; First 2 jugs burst quite violently and thrown off of table; 3'rd jug burst, but not dramatically; 4'th jug split a little; 5'th jug simply had an entrance and exit hole;

1500 fps: Fully penetrated 3 jugs, found in 4'th jug, having dented the back well; First jug violently burst; 2'nd jug burst well; 3'rd jug split from bottom to top

1400 fps: Fully penetrated 5 jugs, but I didn't find the bullet initially (I did later with a metal detector)(bullet came out the back corner of the 5'th jug); First jug burst and flew quite hard; 2'nd jug burst, but not violently; (I didn't take any more notes on this one as to splitting on subsequent jugs, etc)

1200 fps: Fully penetrated 6 jugs, but did not have enough oomph to make it into the 7'th; Good splash; First jug burst well; 2'nd jug burst okay

In all testing, weight retention was 100%!

I did not test this bullet at 20-22 bhn, but others have shot large game with similar designs, reporting full penetration on both shoulders of a bull elk.

I actually chronographed this 1,800 fps load at 100 yards. Velocity was 1400 fps. Which means that it should still have decent killing power to 150 yards or so.

Not bad for a "toy" gun, huh?

rancher1913
09-12-2015, 06:11 PM
thanks, I love my 357mag and this info is very useful to me. have you tried any loads in a marestail, be interested to see how it compares to the full size. I never have enough time to do the sort of experimenting like this.

outdoorfan
09-12-2015, 06:28 PM
No, I haven't, but I suspect it would still do quite well.

tja6435
09-12-2015, 09:02 PM
I have a 77/357 I've been putting together a bunch of loads for. I have molds that'll do 87gr HP .359" boolits up to 228gr 35XCB and several in between.
I was surprised at the recoil some of the higher speed/light boolit loads would produce, for sure not a toy gun

GRUMPA
09-13-2015, 04:00 PM
I'm just surprised not to hear about leading the bore with soft boolits and moving them that fast. I just got done casting just few of a new to me NOE mould but it's the 156gr GC version. 1 of these days (soon) I need to run them down the barrel, but my BHN is 14 and I'm using range lead.

outdoorfan
09-13-2015, 05:41 PM
I'm just surprised not to hear about leading the bore with soft boolits and moving them that fast. I just got done casting just few of a new to me NOE mould but it's the 156gr GC version. 1 of these days (soon) I need to run them down the barrel, but my BHN is 14 and I'm using range lead.

That lighter version should feed better in some guns. I had to alter my 92 in the feed ramp and cartridge guides so that fat-faced 190 grain sucker would feed with perfect reliability.

As to the leading, my 92 has been firelapped and handlapped. It's...smooth. LOL! And very accurate too!

bobthenailer
09-14-2015, 07:01 AM
Thanks for the results ! I also have that mould & use it in my Marlin 357 mag rifle as well in my revolver .

outdoorfan
09-14-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks for commenting, and you're welcome!