PDA

View Full Version : Homemade lead cleaner

Jeffery8mm
04-03-2008, 01:33 PM
I have read several times in my life that a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and houshold peroxide make an effective lead remover for the bore. Has anyone any experience or input on this??
Jeff

Rat-Man
04-03-2008, 01:39 PM
I have read several times in my life that a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and houshold peroxide make an effective lead remover for the bore. Has anyone any experience or input on this??
Jeff

I have used that formula several times to remove lead from the bore of my stainless .357 magnum. It works very well, I just use a rubber stopper in the forcing come and pour the stuff in the muzzle and let it sit until the bubbles stop pour it out and clean normally.

I never tried this on a blued gun, I don't know if it would cause a problem with the blueing if spilled on the outside.

Rat-Man

standles
04-03-2008, 02:15 PM
I have done the same.

It basically produces a weak acid known as paracetic acid, acid plus oxidizer, it removes lead very well. However, I never got it on bluing but since bluing is basically rust I would expect it to damage.

The resultant lead solution (lead acetate if I recall corrrectly) is also toxic.

DO NOT let this solution sit and work for extended (more than 5-10minutes) as it can and will attack the bbl's base metal.

I ususally let soak 5 mins and flush. Take part of a copper choreboy scrubber on a jag and brush out. Then regular clean. I then doouse with a solution of baking soda and water. Lightly oil and done.

Steven

Jeffery8mm
04-03-2008, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Will procede with caution
Thanks

Jeff

xcrider
04-04-2008, 09:55 AM
WOW, this solution really worked well for me! 5 minute soak and the lead was gone.

I used it on a stainless 1911 barrel.

Naphtali
04-04-2008, 10:41 AM
I have done the same.

It basically produces a weak acid known as paracetic acid, acid plus oxidizer, it removes lead very well. However, I never got it on bluing but since bluing is basically rust I would expect it to damage.

The resultant lead solution (lead acetate if I recall corrrectly) is also toxic.

DO NOT let this solution sit and work for extended (more than 5-10minutes) as it can and will attack the bbl's base metal.

I ususally let soak 5 mins and flush. Take part of a copper choreboy scrubber on a jag and brush out. Then regular clean. I then doouse with a solution of baking soda and water. Lightly oil and done.

StevenPlease explain: How does mixing an acid and base yield other than PH neutral solution?

If there is more acidity than oxidizing agent, solution would be acidic [to whatever extent is the difference] or vice versa??

As you can tell from my question, I'm confused.

HORNET
04-04-2008, 12:35 PM
The acetic acid comes from the vinegar, the peroxide is just water with extra oxygen (H2O2, IIRC). What are you getting that's a base in there? Even then, unless you're mixing the correct mole-mole ratio, you can have excess of one or the other.

Scrounger
04-04-2008, 12:58 PM
He was probably thinking 2OH instead of O2H2.

buck1
04-05-2008, 02:38 PM
I just use the chorboy with a bit of Eds red. Its fast and safe. Works well too! ...Buck