PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to mention what rifle I was shooting

Sailman
10-10-2005, 02:09 PM
In my testing at the range on Wednesday I also forgot to mention what rifle I was shooting. I was shooting a 30-06 03-A3.

Sailman

Buckshot
10-10-2005, 08:26 PM
.........."I was shooting a 30-06 03-A3."

But of course. Well a 1903 or an 03A1 prolly would'av suited too :D All you have to do now is to explain your loading proceedure, alloy, cases, crimped or not, and etc.

.............Buckshot

Sailman
10-13-2005, 11:32 PM
Buckshot, you asked about my loading procedures etc.

Bullet alloy-----Several years ago I was able to get a good supply of linotype. I also had a supply of WW but most of that has been cast into bullets. The bullets I am casting now are all straight linotype.
The 30-180-SP and the 308-165-SIL are straight linotype.

The lubricant I use is the NRA lubricant Lee markets.

I do not crimp the bullets. I use a Forester tool that cuts an angle into the inside of the case mouth and cuts a slight angle on the outside of the case mouth. After neck sizing I just push the bullet into the case neck with my bullet seating die. I have never had problems with the case cutting lead from the bullet.

30-06 brass-----In the 50's and 60's nobody picked up their spent 06 cases because there was so much WW II ammo around. I would pick up all that I could get my hands on. As a result of my picking up brass I have a lifetime supply of 30-06 cases. When setting up a box of 06 ammo I try to use the brass form the same arsenal.

My loading procedure is the standard procedure. Wipe the case, clean the inside of the case neck, lubricate the case neck both outside and inside, neck size only ( except when starting a new batch of GI brass I will full length size ) dump the powder ( I weigh each load ), and seat the bullet.

I have recently got some Lee Collet Dies. It is early in the game but I think I am getting good results with the collet dies and they save work by not having to lubricate the outside and inside of the case neck. One thing you must consider is that there is a heavy load placed on the loading press linkage with the collet dies. If you have an old loading press I would suggest you use that for the collet dies. Let the old press take the heavy wear and save your new press.

I do not weigh bullets. I know from checking my cast linotype bullets I will have a 2.5 gr. range in weight. With the WW bullets I figure 5 gr vairation.

As you can see, I just use the standard loading procedures. I do not index my cases. I take the bullets as they come from the storage bottle and size and lubricate them.

I do all my shooting at 100 yards. Our range has a 200 yard set up but so far I have not shot 200 yards.

As far as accuracy goes, I feel good when I can shoot 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch groups and shoot those groups consistently with military rifles. Also, I like to shoot 20 shot groups. With 20 shot groups one can get a good idea just what his rifle/load will do. It is one thing to shoot a very small group but it is another thing if you can shoot small groups time after time. Always remember, the larger your sample size, the better you can predict what your rifle/load will do.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Sailman

Buckshot
10-14-2005, 02:30 AM
................Sailman, appreciate your taking the time to write that out, I think it's interesting in the different proceedures various people use for their ammo loading. It's also valuable to the newer folks to cast lead to see what is being done. What is considered important, etc.

..............Buckshot

sundog
10-14-2005, 09:34 AM
Buckshot, Sailman and I shoot at the samest club. We both shot the mil bolt state shoot off last Saturday, and he did VERY well. I threw some 9s at three o'clock on my third score target or I would have been right there with him. Big pat on the back for my good friend, Sailman!

I load pretty much the same as he does, but my alloy is a copper babbit concoction that Felix and I came up with (Beagle has used some also). I've also used range scrap enriched with tin and tournament grade (higher antimony content) shot. I even use the same boolit, 30-180-SP. I weigh mine to .1 gr (that's one tenth grain). His velocity is slower though. I'll second the Lee collet neck sizer. I have MANY loads on one particular batch of brass and it's been trimmed only once - stays consistent. Cases mouths were inside chamferred and GCs through a .310 sizer start easily and there is no shaving as boolit is seated. No crimp. Boolit is seated to lightly engrave - in this particualr 03A3 it's 3.300 if I premember rightly. Years ago I did a test using a chronograph and shooting groups changing only the primer. That test proved for that particular situation, this load and this 03A3, that the Rem 9 1/2 was superior to all other tested, including several flavors of match primer. It was interesting to note changes in groups, POI, velocity, ES, and SD, by merely changing the primer. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the Rem is the best primer. It's just the best for that combination. Kinda like Sailman likes to shoot 20 shot groups. If it lets you think you are shooting better, then you probably are. Confidence. It's all a mind game -- and a whole lot better than being a couch tater! sundog

mike in co
10-14-2005, 09:50 PM
sundog..is this the MBABR ???
was thinking about making it a national match , by adding colorado..one club but probably a postal entry.....
then maybe seeing if i can get some guys to travel for a mbabr match.

sundog
10-14-2005, 10:18 PM
Mike, yup, and way cool. There's also a club in Joplin, MO, that shoots this match and I hear also Arizona, but don't know about that for sure. Cast Boolit Association has a mil bolt match, too, but the course of fire is different, includes 200 yard, as well as hunert yard targets.

My son and his lovely new bride live in Lakewood. I'll look you up when we come up to visit. Did y'all get over the snow??? sundog