PDA

View Full Version : NYPD helpful hints for active shooter in your office

Artful
09-10-2015, 01:04 PM
http://politicaloutcast.com/2015/09/nypd-says-youre-helpless-with-a-workplace-shooter-but-they-will-arrest-you-if-you-carry/

If a workplace shooter comes to your office, you had better be able to run and hide because the police won’t be there in time to help you.

This headline from Newser.com (http://www.newser.com/story/212368/nypd-your-desk-wont-save-you-from-a-shooter.html) reads as if the police are doing us a favor by giving us helpful information:

“NYPD: Your Desk Won't Save You From a Shooter.”
Most mass shootings happen in the workplace and most of them are over before police get there, according to the New York City Police Department, so workers need to know how to react. The NYPD held a training session for members of the media yesterday in response to last week's TV shooting in Virginia (http://politicaloutcast.com/2015/08/a-gay-black-victim-shoots-two-straight-white-co-workers-live-on-news/) and journalists were told to follow officers' instructions and forget about asking questions if they are caught in the middle of a mass shooting, NY1 reports.

The NYPD says people should remember "ABC" for Avoid, Barricade, Confront: getting away from the shooter if you can, barricading yourself in if you can't, and confronting them only a last resort, as set out in a department safety pamphlet (http://www.scribd.com/doc/278184725/NYPD-Shield-Safety-Pamphlet).

The story goes on to tell us that a wooden desk is insufficient as a barricade. Bullets from popular guns like an
AK-47 and even some handguns will cut right through it. So you need to get a barricade with “as many layers as you can.” In fact, the NYPD recommends every work area have a safe room with “extra thick walls.”
This is the help you get from a police department that will arrest you for carrying a handgun.

How does one even begin to respond to this dangerous insanity?

This demonstrates that tyranny makes people stupid. The gun laws themselves are disgusting and illegal under the Second Amendment, but the way people behave when they assume such laws are sensible really shows us that intelligence is drained by those laws. The media reports all this as if it is serious stuff, never bothering to ask how it is right to have armed officers telling us how to survive a workplace shooter when they are willing to imprison you for the only thing that will really give you any measure of safety.

Notice the all-important concession here: there are workplace shooters and you should prepare to deal with them.

Given that fact, how can they claim they are performing a public service by keeping potential victims from arming themselves?

http://www.scribd.com/doc/278184725/NYPD-Shield-Safety-Pamphlet

Was going to try and show the Pamphlet but it comes up here blank???
Follow the above link for a laugh :roll:

bikerbeans
09-10-2015, 07:41 PM
Seems to me workplace right to carry is what is needed.

BB

Elkins45
09-10-2015, 09:57 PM
We tell our students to throw desks and books if a shooter makes it through the classroom door. What I wish we could tell them is "be sure to stay out of the way while I fill this evil scumbag with holes."

Lonegun1894
09-11-2015, 02:08 AM
My office policy is to shoot the SOB.

Lance Boyle
09-11-2015, 10:32 AM
I guess I was reading to fast...... I read it as "have a barricade with as many lawyers as you can"

hmmm great use for lawyers...sandbags!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-11-2015, 11:33 AM
I heard that jackets and ties stop bullets , so any one in the office wearing one is to form a line and allowing those in company issued shirts to stay to the back

but in all seriousness what they left out is watch your back or get someone to watch it

the shooter in VA walked up to them waved the gun around , but they were focused on the interview and even though the gunman was standing there gun in hand and had even already pointed it at the victims , they never saw it coming , yes it is very sick that the shooter made a video of himself shooting them but it makes you realized they never saw it coming because they were focused on the interview

BrassMagnet
09-13-2015, 09:39 AM
I heard that jackets and ties stop bullets , so any one in the office wearing one is to form a line and allowing those in company issued shirts to stay to the back

but in all seriousness what they left out is watch your back or get someone to watch it

the shooter in VA walked up to them waved the gun around , but they were focused on the interview and even though the gunman was standing there gun in hand and had even already pointed it at the victims , they never saw it coming , yes it is very sick that the shooter made a video of himself shooting them but it makes you realized they never saw it coming because they were focused on the interview

Very good point.
The tacticool crowd call this "situational awareness."
Way back when it was normal to be alert to all the things going on around you. Face it, you couldn't open doors for ladies if you didn't notice them!
Now it is normal to listen to music with earphones so loud you can't hear a thug running up to club you.
Where did we go astray?

Love Life
09-13-2015, 09:46 AM
My 5.11 tactical pants give me the edge over my peers. I recommend everybody get 5.11 Tactical pants because nobody messes with anybody who looks like they operate. Make sure you wear some racy looking Oakley glass, keep your head on a swivel, stand with your back to walls, and clear any room before considering it safe.

Beef15
09-13-2015, 10:22 AM
I work for a municipality, they had the SWAT Cpt give us active shooter training (play the DHS DVD), I guess to make it appear as though it were tactically sound. It appears to have been the same b.s., I thought about asking why if active shooters were such a valid threat that it warranted mandatory training they would choose to statutorily deny us the most effective means of defense? But he isn't the policy maker, has a definite I am the only one professional enough only police should have guns attitude, and I absolutely hate when people extend pointless training sessions with more pointless discussion.

garym1a2
09-14-2015, 08:15 AM
At my place it the standard, run, hide and thru object. Since my office is 10 feet from a door for me its run to the car since I can't carry at work. But in Florida I can keep what I want in my car.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-14-2015, 09:30 AM
My 5.11 tactical pants give me the edge over my peers. I recommend everybody get 5.11 Tactical pants because nobody messes with anybody who looks like they operate. Make sure you wear some racy looking Oakley glass, keep your head on a swivel, stand with your back to walls, and clear any room before considering it safe.

everybody knows this only works when your also wearing your khaki shoot me first vest also

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-14-2015, 10:07 AM
Very good point.
The tacticool crowd call this "situational awareness."
Way back when it was normal to be alert to all the things going on around you. Face it, you couldn't open doors for ladies if you didn't notice them!
Now it is normal to listen to music with earphones so loud you can't hear a thug running up to club you.
Where did we go astray?

I think people got to feeling really safe they told themselves it could never happen to them , isn't what they say when interviewed on the news afterwards , I never thought it could happen here or to me.

and devices got smaller , and now the kids text each other from across the table , it's funny my kids can see some of it from the outside because I am to cheap to buy them a data plan or txt

it isn't just paying attention to possible threats around them , I can't tell you how many times the kids look up from tablets or phones and say when or where did xyz come from

my grandma would call it the boob tube effect , and it is really interesting she is 87 and was all grown up and had kids before TV was even a thing , when my grandparents retired in the mid 80s from grandpas business they became snow birds and spend the rest of the 80s and 90s traveling in the lat 90s they found a place in Yuma AZ that they really liked and grandma really liked dancing , not a big surprise Grandma and grandpa met at a USO dance.
back to the boob tube effect , grandma and grandpa got to be some of the older residents of the park and as they aged a lot of their friends were meeting their end dances and social gatherings got less and less attended , the park was still full just more people sitting home , a walk or golf cart ride and you could see the glow from nearly every unit , the boob tube was on , as she would put it the new kids as they were quite literally the age of her kids, just didn't socialize or dance much any more , they were more apt to watch the tv they grew up with. the entertainment box really started effecting the way people interact and socialize 60 some years ago but you have to be a generation removed from it to really see the difference often , now that your 2 or 3 generations separated it is that much more visible that and the devices are so far ahead of what we had remember when the TV went color bars after the 10 Oclcock news kids these days don't even know what color bars are , and programming is so much more than 24-7

Walkingwolf
09-14-2015, 10:34 AM
Hire Gecko45... :Fire:

rkrcpa
09-14-2015, 03:44 PM
My office policy is to shoot the SOB.

Same here

garym1a2
09-14-2015, 08:42 PM
A baggie pair of pants like they wear in the hood works better. You can stick a Glock21 in them.

Stewbaby
09-14-2015, 09:26 PM
I go by the mantra of 'concealed means concealed'. I will not be defenseless and whether I have a gun is no more my employers business as what Bible I read or underwear color I like. It's a tool to be used against sick evil subhumans that mean to take my freedom or life. Keep calm and carry!

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-15-2015, 11:54 AM
I go by the mantra of 'concealed means concealed'. I will not be defenseless and whether I have a gun is no more my employers business as what Bible I read or underwear color I like. It's a tool to be used against sick evil subhumans that mean to take my freedom or life. Keep calm and carry!

I can appreciate that , but I think most can also appreciate , that if concealed becomes known for whatever reason balancing that against your career and income is hard, I work in a industry where we can understand that everything breaks eventually

I can think of one co-worker who passed out at her desk they went to ask her a question and she was face planted in her desk , he blood sugar had dropped ans she passed out , lucky nothing worse than a bruise and a need to get her medication better regulated. but others have had heart attacks in their office. if the ambulance comes to get you and your carrying they are likely to find it that would be a bad time to loose your job and insurance.

I don't find it worth it at this point in my life and career I work close to a fire escape door that is locked from the outside and my truck is just outside where I do have a gun although if I get out I am not to likely to come back in and I only make it to the office a few days a month.

smoked turkey
09-15-2015, 09:27 PM
I have considered what Wayne (NRA) says.."The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun". I think this is correct. It has happened time and time again. What I understand is done in the school system in Israel is the teachers carry fully automatic weapons. I think that would be a deterrent to the perps.

Beagle333
09-15-2015, 09:41 PM
Step 1. Throw copier through window.
Step 2. Follow copier.

http://i613.photobucket.com/albums/tt214/shutupandjump/smiley-running2_zpsxy4atpup.jpg

(I'm on the first floor at the University):D

Jeeper44mag
09-17-2015, 07:04 AM
The real problem is that we are not getting enough youth involved in shooting. Too many sheep, and not enough sheepdogs. The sheep are completely uneducated about guns, and our Gov't has enabled this at every step.

Where is the "I am not a victim" mentality today? Simple... We are teaching our youth to hide behind a desk, and not to fight... even when they should!

Luis

jonp
09-17-2015, 07:54 AM

I dont remember meeting you at the last Oathkeepers meeting

TXGunNut
09-17-2015, 10:03 PM
I guess I was reading to fast...... I read it as "have a barricade with as many lawyers as you can"

hmmm great use for lawyers...sandbags!

Funny, that was my first take as well!