PDA

View Full Version : Army Marksmanship Books Free to Good Home

WRideout
09-08-2015, 03:27 PM
I have a fairly complete set of books published for the Army Marksmanship team. Thirteen in all, they cover everything from pistol and rifle shooting to accurising an M14 (circa 1970's). I will send book rate postage to the first person who tells me a good story. PM me with name and address. Thanks.

Wayne

BrassMagnet
09-08-2015, 03:41 PM
I would like those!

Love Life
09-08-2015, 03:43 PM
Well, there I was larger than life. I was a teenager and it was October. The tradition for teenagers in my small town was to...ummm.acquire as many pumpkins as possible.

As it grew closer to Halloween, the pickings got slimmer and slimmer due to the large amount of teenagers out taking pumpkins.

Me an my buddies decide to go on one more raid. As we were cruising around town, we saw a house we hadn't hit yet. Our vehicle of choice was a Ford Ranger due to the easy access to the bed. Anywho, we pull up to this house and a buddy and I jump out and run up to the porch. I reach down to grab this pumpkin...and dang near throw my back out!! The man had filled the pumpkin with cement!! To make matters worse, as soon as I grabbed the pumpkin the front door opened up. The homeowner had been waiting for us. He runs out, grabs me, bends me over his knee and proceeds to give me a good ol' whoopin.

Amidst my cries and the sound of truck tires squealing away at high speed, I wonder where the heck my wingman was! Had I been abandoned? Nope. The brother of the homeowner had snatched my buddy up and was giving him a whooping as well!!

We got our whoopins and thorough tongue thrashing and were turned loose. Our buddies in the truck had ditched us so me and my other buddy had to walk home. We laughed and joked it up on the walk home acting tough and taking solace in the fact that at least the police were not called.

I wish the police had been called...

I diddy bop on in the front door and guess who was waiting? Yep, Dad was waiting. He asked me what I had been up to. I played it cool and said I was out being a saint. Wrong answer. There is a disconnect in the teenage brain that doesn't allow you to connect dots until after the fact! On the way home my dad had received a phone call (small town Georgia) about my activities. I almost fainted when Dad dropped the bombshell that he had been called by the person who had caught us. So, I got a whipping from him to!!

Lessons learned:
A) Don't steal
B) Pick better friends who won't leave you in a pinch
C) Don't lie to Dad

WRideout
09-08-2015, 03:48 PM
Well, there I was larger than life. I was a teenager and it was October. The tradition for teenagers in my small town was to...ummm.acquire as many pumpkins as possible.

As it grew closer to Halloween, the pickings got slimmer and slimmer due to the large amount of teenagers out taking pumpkins.

Me an my buddies decide to go on one more raid. As we were cruising around town, we saw a house we hadn't hit yet. Our vehicle of choice was a Ford Ranger due to the easy access to the bed. Anywho, we pull up to this house and a buddy and I jump out and run up to the porch. I reach down to grab this pumpkin...and dang near throw my back out!! The man had filled the pumpkin with cement!! To make matters worse, as soon as I grabbed the pumpkin the front door opened up. The homeowner had been waiting for us. He runs out, grabs me, bends me over his knee and proceeds to give me a good ol' whoopin.

Amidst my cries and the sound of truck tires squealing away at high speed, I wonder where the heck my wingman was! Had I been abandoned? Nope. The brother of the homeowner had snatched my buddy up and was giving him a whooping as well!!

We got our whoopins and thorough tongue thrashing and were turned loose. Our buddies in the truck had ditched us so me and my other buddy had to walk home. We laughed and joked it up on the walk home acting tough and taking solace in the fact that at least the police were not called.

I diddy bop on in the front door and guess who was waiting? Yep, Dad was waiting. He asked me what I had been up to. I played it cool and said I was out being a saint. Wrong answer. There is a disconnect in the teenage brain that doesn't allow you to connect dots until after the fact! On the way home my dad had received a phone call (small town Georgia) about my activities. I almost fainted when Dad dropped the bombshell that he had been called by the person who had caught us. So, I got a whipping from him to!!

Lessons learned:
A) Don't steal
C) Don't lie to Dad

That's why they call it the "good old days." I'll see if anybody can top that.

Wayne

bdicki
09-08-2015, 05:06 PM

Lessons learned:
A) Don't steal
C) Don't lie to Dad

Good story, we're going to need one that involves rock salt and a watermelon patch to top that.

WRideout
09-08-2015, 05:51 PM
Where I grew up in SoCal, they grow a lot of lettuce, celery and broccoli. Stealing broccoli just doesn't have the same cachet!

Wayne

WRideout
09-09-2015, 07:32 AM
Love Life, they are yours with the caveat that you pass them on to Brass Magnet when you are done. As far as I can tell you are both good people who have shared a lot with this forum.

Wayne

WILCO
09-09-2015, 09:10 AM
I will send book rate postage to the first person who tells me a good story. PM me with name and address. Thanks.

Wayne

Original deal.

I would like those!

Doesn't follow instructions.

Lessons learned:
A) Don't steal
C) Don't lie to Dad

Follows instructions and pounds keys with a moral to the story.

Love Life, they are yours with the caveat that you pass them on to Brass Magnet when you are done.

Game changer after challenge has been accepted and met.

I think the original deal should stand and Love Life can pass them on to who he wants, when he wants.

BrassMagnet
09-09-2015, 09:21 AM
Original deal.

Doesn't follow instructions.

Follows instructions and pounds keys with a moral to the story.

Game changer after challenge has been accepted and met.

I think the original deal should stand and Love Life can pass them on to who he wants, when he wants.

WRideout,

Feel free to post the PM I sent.

BrassMagnet

Love Life
09-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Lets everybody calm down and keep it fun. I PM'd the OP yesterday that if I won that I had every intention of passing the books on. Looks like Mr. BrassMagnet will be next in line.

I've always wanted to see the AMU books as I've heard nothing but good about them. WRideout- Thank you!!!

WILCO
09-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Lets everybody calm down and keep it fun.

Didn't mean to stir the pot Love Life. Just wanted to point out it wasn't fair to change the deal with a "Caveat" after the fact. Really enjoyed your story.

garym1a2
09-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I Had their High Power AMU Rifle books in the early 90's. They are a great read. Wish I kept them.

WRideout
09-09-2015, 02:27 PM
I only added the caveat after Love Life offered to pass them along. I have great regard for both of these guys, and it was hard to decide.

Love Life, I still need your address. Thanks.

Wayne

garym1a2
09-09-2015, 02:56 PM
With some good Google Fu you can find these as PDF online free also:

https://archive.org/details/firearms-u.s.-army-marksmanship-unit---pistol-marksmanship-training-g

http://www.mclaacdet1049.org/Rifle-Pistol_Team/PistolRapidFireGuide.pdf

jonp
09-13-2015, 04:30 PM
Dang, I guess the duck flying out of the woodstove and circling the living room on fire while my girlfriend and I were...um...you know on the couch will have to wait for another day

WRideout
09-19-2015, 08:09 PM
Here is the story that Brass magnet inadvertently sent me as a PM. I am posting it here at his request.

Wayne,

I competed with the U.S. Navy Marksmanship team for many years with both rifle and pistol.

My best stage of fire ever was in the All Navy team pistol match in Dam Neck, VA. For timed fire, I shot a really nice knot in the 9, 10, and X ring. I was so excited, I just wanted to run down to the targets and make sure it was scored right. Our Coach assured me my job was to stay all rested and do as well as I could in rapid fire and his job was to ensure I got every point and "x" I scored. It turned out to be a 99-5X and it is still my best ever score with hardball.

BrassMagnet
09-19-2015, 09:08 PM
And now to continue that story!

I competed with the U.S. Navy Marksmanship team for many years with both rifle and pistol.

My best stage of fire ever was in the All Navy team pistol match in Dam Neck, VA. For timed fire, I shot a really nice knot in the 9, 10, and X ring. I was so excited, I just wanted to run down to the targets and make sure it was scored right. Our Coach assured me my job was to stay all rested and do as well as I could in rapid fire and his job was to ensure I got every point and "x" I scored. It turned out to be a 99-5X and it is still my best ever score with hardball.

I received a call from a member while typing that PM to WRideout. I got to learn about the history of Spanish Remington Rolling Block rifles. I'm terrible at typing and listening at the same time. So I had to cut that story short. Now here is the rest of it. The names have been changed or deleted to protect the guilty, I mean innocent!

So here I start again!

For my rapid fire, I was still too excited over my best ever (still!) hardball score and I scored OK, but not great. We were the second string Pacific Fleet team and we scored second place behind the first string Pacific Fleet team, but only by a few points. I could have made the difference if I had shot a great score rather than a merely mediocre score.
We walked all over the Atlantic Fleet in that team match. We were way ahead of third place. I never did receive my trophy for that match.

In a previous team match, a little Seal fired a string of rapid fire into a ragged hole in the X and 10 ring. He started dancing in a victory dance. His team coach, a Seal officer, yelled at him, "You ain't done yet! Get your *** back to the firing line!"
The little Seal went back to the line as ordered.
Did you know Seals have attitudes and little Seals have enormous attitudes.
His final string of fire was a visible miss in the top left corner of the target, a visible miss in the top right corner of the target, and so on in a clockwise pattern for five visible misses on target. Yes, his team did lose! Last place!

As one coach told me, "Yes I can learn how not to coach from *****!"

Hogtamer
09-19-2015, 09:27 PM
I was a generation ahead of Love Life stealing punkins in that small town!!!! It 's a long tradition and defense of home punkins was fierce!