PDA

View Full Version : Proud Dad and fresh catfish for supper!

Love Life
09-08-2015, 08:20 AM
I took my 6 year old daughter fishing yesterday for some pan fryers. On the second cast out with a little hook and redworm, this fat cat jumped on the hook. It was pretty funny seeing the look on her face when she set the hook and this guy took off! At first it just tightened the line like a pan fryer, then she set the hook and rod bent over and almost jerked out of her hand. She held the reel, I set the drag, and she tired this sucker out. She fought this guy for about 10 minutes and then he just moseyed on into shore.

She followed up by stocking the stringer with 7 wonderful pan fryers. She sure made me proud!!

farmerjim
09-08-2015, 08:27 AM
Congratulations to your daughter. I love fried catfish.

nagantguy
09-08-2015, 09:13 AM
That is great, you guys have something to share forever, and a great meal. You sir are a real man and father! I'm proud of you both!

s mac
09-08-2015, 09:47 AM
That is great, you guys have something to share forever, and a great meal. You sir are a real man and father! I'm proud of you both!

I would just add, make the memories while you can,you will be walking her down the aisle before you know it.

starmac
09-08-2015, 11:50 AM
I bet that was fun to watch on light panfish gear, I also bet she had a huge grin the whole time.
Congrats.

Beef15
09-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Very nice.
Can't wait til mine's old enough to fish.

Artful
09-08-2015, 01:22 PM
Congratulations to her and you as well - Hope she keeps getting the big ones!

Ole Joe Clarke
09-08-2015, 04:06 PM
I have some Precious Memories (photos) of fishing trips with my girls, and my wife. I go back on occasion at look at them and think of those days. Congratulations, things like that are priceless.

Love Life
09-08-2015, 04:09 PM
Thank you for the kind words!

Fishing is a dad and daughter event. We stop at the gas station, she picks out her snacks and a juice, and then we go fish. She loves catching the pan fryers because the action is fast, she gets to cast, and doesn't get bored. If I cast into deep water for catfish she usually gets bored and asks a bazillion questions. Good times!

Fishman
09-08-2015, 04:13 PM
It looks like a black or brown bullhead from the picture. Great eating and they don't come much bigger than that! Congratulations!

jcwit
09-08-2015, 04:16 PM
Great, enjoy both the times with your kids and the catfish dinner.

starmac
09-08-2015, 07:02 PM
Nothing better than panfish to keep a young kids attention, actually works pretty good for old men too.
Fast action, and with ultra light gear, it resembles catching the big ones. lol

There will be plenty of time later for bass, catfish and other species, enjoy what you have now.

Bzcraig
09-08-2015, 07:22 PM
That my friend is a GREAT day!

DougGuy
09-08-2015, 07:34 PM
Yep, and at age 6, she will be the envy of her class! And she will remember this one for a good long time!

white eagle
09-08-2015, 07:53 PM
That's a beautiful thing
enjoy

murf6656
09-08-2015, 08:13 PM
It sure fun to watch kids fish. A buddy of mine came down to see us at the lake this weekend, and brought my boys some fishing yo yos. My 9 year old son caught 3 catfish in about an hour the biggest one about four pounds. You've never seen anyone more proud than he was of that catfish.

MrWolf
09-08-2015, 08:30 PM
Congrats to both of you! Sounds like a great time and a fine meal.

MaryB
09-08-2015, 11:12 PM
Congrats! Dad taught me to fish around age 5, took all 5 of us kids t a backwater in the river where the bullheads were stacked up. We filled 2 5 gallon buckets with them and ate fish for 2 days! Not a lot of meat on a bullhead, mostly head! We set up a production line to clean them, cut fins off, gut them, then pass to dad to rip the skin off(not an easy job!). Was a feast for a poor family and at the time there were no limits on bullheads, they encouraged people to take as many as they could. All nice 9-12 inch fish caught about every 5-10 minutes.

And yes that memory has stuck with me!

Wolfer
09-09-2015, 07:27 PM
The youngest grandkids are visiting from Florida right now. We always have to go on adventures at the pond.148613I don't know how to rotate the picture.

trapper9260
09-09-2015, 08:30 PM
Now you did it with your kid now, she will want to go fishing all the time with you and there will be no stopping her now .LOL You also.It remind me of the times I had with my dad when I was a kid many years ago he would bring my brother and I out fishing and he did not mind if we caught most of the fish as long we had fish to put on the table.That was some good times then.Thank you for shearing the moment hope you have many more to come.

Hogtamer
09-09-2015, 09:33 PM
LL, you cherish those times young friend!!!! They grow up faster than a .223. Good on you and your sweetie. BTW, tell your western buddies you're catching the oh-so-very elusive cypress trout!