PDA

View Full Version : Pb garage sale find. Too good to be true.

retread
09-07-2015, 06:32 PM
A friend of mine was a garage sale yesterday and there was a 5 gallon bucket full of lead flashing heavy enough to strain this old body. Asked what the guy wanted for it and he said $1.25. He called me and asked if he had paid to much and if I still wanted it. I said no you paid too much. I just said " you are kidding me"? He said no, it is here for you to pick up, just don't forget my $1.25. He will definitely get more that that!!

retread
09-07-2015, 06:39 PM
Need some thoughts on another lead find. This is lead line used in the fishing industry to weight down the bottom of nets. It is synthetic rope with some style of lead core. This same friend has a literal ton of it but I am wondering how I can separate the lead from it without a lot of unnecessary effort and not send up a black cloud. Anyone have experience with this stuff or any ideas?

Thanks

jsizemore
09-07-2015, 06:58 PM
Got a link so folks can have a look? Most lead on the cheap requires some effort from the beneficiary. Once I had to split 500 lbs of lead cable sheathing. That didn't include the weight of the cable. I'm lucky that the bullet traps I harvest are clean and not from a dirt berm.

swamp
09-07-2015, 07:45 PM
I wonder if you can expose it and just pull the lead out of the center of the rope?

Bored1
09-07-2015, 08:17 PM
I would think that running a carpet knife, box cutter, or anything sharp down the line would split the covering and allow you to pull the cord out.

Bad Water Bill
09-07-2015, 09:01 PM
Please do NOT try a carpet knife.

I have laid THOUSANDS of yards of carpeting sometimes in a day and some times in a week and can tell you those razor blades WILL cut to the bone in a heart beat.

One slip of that PERSONA blade and you will sever nerve endings tendons etc.

John Wayne
09-07-2015, 09:13 PM
For the rope... you could route a round groove in a 2' piece of 2x4 to lay the rope in so if the knife slips off the rope it's not in your finger/leg. Clamp the 2x4 in a black & decker workmate, vise etc. Bad Water Bill is right about knife caution.

tommag
09-08-2015, 12:14 AM
I once got a bunch of lead line and melted it in a small barrel. Stinky as can be, that nylon or whatever it was was nasty! I lived in the country at the time. I wouldn't advise doing it that way in town.

retread
09-08-2015, 12:48 AM
I will be picking up the lead line next weekend so I can't post a picture now. Might have to find a remote area to light some off so I do not offend the neighbors. :)
I think the lead is weaved in, not just a core in the middle, which I think will void the manual cut out option. I will know more when I actually see it. I will do a very small test burn to see how bad the fallout is and may decline the offer if it seems to dramatic.

retread
09-08-2015, 12:51 AM
I once got a bunch of lead line and melted it in a small barrel. Stinky as can be, that nylon or whatever it was was nasty! I lived in the country at the time. I wouldn't advise doing it that way in town.

How was the yield?

Buck Neck It
09-08-2015, 01:08 AM
The lead is softer than cop pistol range scrap, but it has some antimony and tin in it and casts ok.

The best way to recover the lead from gillnet leadline might be to truck it down to Texas or Death Valley or some other cracker hellhole where the sun shines without mercy and the wind blows all the time. Throw it on the roof of a mobile home, come back in two years and get your lead.

Bored1
09-08-2015, 01:36 AM
IF theres some deserted gravel roads around drag it behind your truck tied to the trailer hitch. Should make short work of it. Seem it as a way to clean rusty chains in a magazine last week. Know that I'm thinking about it, I believe it was this months backwoodsman.

starmac
09-08-2015, 03:11 AM
I just hook my rusty chains behind the fourwheeler, a mile down the street and back and they are shiny.
Chains are easy, not too sure about that lead line.

tommag
09-08-2015, 09:50 AM
How was the yield?
Mine was lead core. Neighbor had a bunch of short pieces left over that he gave me. Not sure how something with fine lead wire woven in would turn out, although most of the weight would have to be lead.

chuckbuster
09-09-2015, 06:36 AM
IF Lead Core in a "nylon" sheath I wonder if one of the "Gut Hook" type field dressing knives might work. Safer than any setup with utility/carpet knife.
Kevin