PDA

View Full Version : Some recoil

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2015, 01:21 PM
Got a bunch of 475 bullets ready to go for my .50 cal in line and a pile of sabots. Figured tomorrow id give it a good trial. Couldn't wait though. Had to pop off one. 400 grain lfngc hollow point cast out of pure lead in a harvester sabot with 120 grains of blackhorn. Theres some serious recoil there. Id say up in the 338mag level anyway. According to the research ive done it should be running at about 1800 fps. That's high end marlin 4570 ballistics with an even fatter bullet!! I have a creosote treated power pole in my back yard for a basketball hoop. Its about 8 inch in diameter. I was surprised to see it blow right through. I would have guessed made out of pure and being a hp it wouldnt make the trip through. If it shoots good im ready for t rex this black powder season. Ive got a 390 grain lfn and a 360 wfn ready too. All three I have casted out of both pure and #2 with a pure lead nose. Should be fun if my shoulder holds up. From what ive read at least a 120 grain is needed for a 400 grain bullet to stabilize it in an inline and 130 is better yet. What im hoping for is the 360wfn to shoot well at a 100 grain. If I can get any one of these to shoot into 3 inch at a 100 yards ill be happy. It will be a short range load anyway. I already have a long range load with the 250 tipped hornady that shoots 1.5 inch at a 100 for longer range stuff.

johnson1942
09-06-2015, 03:22 PM
why dont you try 100 grains instead of 120. would feel better, and when the bullets fllattens out and goes through the critter, no more use for it. did you sabot stand up to 120 grains and was accracy good with that? if they did and you can stand the recoil, you got your self a real hunter. much like the 45/120 sharps.

Lefty Red
09-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Ouch!!!! I tapped out at 95 grains! LOL

Jerry

OnHoPr
09-06-2015, 04:19 PM
If it shoots good im ready for t rex this black powder season.

You will probably need smoking and grilling logs as big as that power pole to to cook those ribs.

dubber123
09-06-2015, 05:22 PM
Wow. Lloyd complaining about recoil. I guess it happens to all of us.. :)

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2015, 05:30 PM
the reason is bullet stability. All ive read says that even the 360s are going to take 120 grains to get enough velocity to stabilize them and the 400s are probably going to take 130-140. I think at 140 I want to trade places with the deer. No doubt in all of this its not needed but its just something new to play with
why dont you try 100 grains instead of 120. would feel better, and when the bullets fllattens out and goes through the critter, no more use for it. did you sabot stand up to 120 grains and was accracy good with that? if they did and you can stand the recoil, you got your self a real hunter. much like the 45/120 sharps.

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2015, 05:31 PM
I know its a huge step up in recoil between that load and a 100 grains with a 250 hornady.
Ouch!!!! I tapped out at 95 grains! LOL

Jerry

Lloyd Smale
09-06-2015, 05:32 PM
getting old my friend. 10 years ago id have been sawing off the barrel and stock and making it a handgun!!! :drinks:[
Wow. Lloyd complaining about recoil. I guess it happens to all of us.. :)

dubber123
09-06-2015, 05:44 PM
getting old my friend. 10 years ago id have been sawing off the barrel and stock and making it a handgun!!! :drinks:[

Oh, I know :) Thats why I was busting on you. I have a 20" .54 carbine. Shoots great with 100 grs. of Triple 7 and a 450 gr. boolit, about 1,450 fps. Gives me a 2 day headache in 5 shots due to the old Hawken style stock. I haven't had it out in a while..

johnson1942
09-06-2015, 06:23 PM
the length of the bullet as related to the twist of the barrel is what stab. the bullet. not the feet per sec. that can happen in ultra fast modern rifles with boat tail bullets, but you can push a lead bullet to the point accracy goes down.

GREENCOUNTYPETE
09-06-2015, 06:56 PM
my hunting load was 90gr 777 in a 50 inline under a 410gr hornady great plains conical of soft lead in a 1:28 barrel it stabilized well enough for 100 yards , I never tried it any further but I was about 3 inches at 100 yards

I got a shot at a doe that turned and looked back at me from down the trail I shot for the neck and ended up about 3 inches low at the base of the tail , that bullet from about 40 yards went in at the base of the tail and plowed through about 9 inches of spine then headed down and took the liver, heart and lung I found the very mushroomed bullet under the skin in front of the left shoulder where it's final leg of the trip was break 3 ribs then stop for between 36 and 40 inches of penitration

johnson1942
09-06-2015, 07:43 PM
ive put a dead mule in the butt stock of a lot of the guns ive built. makes a diff. calms them down.

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2015, 08:05 AM
increase the velocity and you also increase the spin imparted on the bullet so it does help with stability to increase velocity in a barrel that's twisted to slow for a bullet. Also keep in mind that this bullet is traveling down the barrel in a sabot. It cushions the initial push and protects it at any velocity from stripping through the rifling and that is the major cause of cast bullets loosing accuracy at higher speeds. The problem with cast is keeping them from deforming on impact which can drastically effect penetration but im talking deer here and like it said even cast out of pure with a big hollow point it made it through that power pole so im pretty sure a rib bone on a deer isn't going to stop it. Yes its possible that pushing them real hard might upset them in the barrel but keep in mind that even with a 150 grains of powder your talking pressures that are mild compared to what smokeless powders in modern guns generate. Its why muzzle loaders will do so well with pure lead and a modern rifle using smokeless will not.
the length of the bullet as related to the twist of the barrel is what stab. the bullet. not the feet per sec. that can happen in ultra fast modern rifles with boat tail bullets, but you can push a lead bullet to the point accracy goes down.

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2015, 08:08 AM
I thought about putting some lead in the stock but I don't want to haul around a heavy gun come hunting season and it probably would shoot to a different point of aim if I took it out before season. Ive been shooting heavy recoiling guns all my life and ill live through this one too. :Fire:

Rick Hodges
09-07-2015, 10:08 AM
I use a 300gr. Hornady .452 HP in front of 105 gr. of 777 ff for 1785 fps. in an Omega. There is not a deer int the world that will hold that bullet. You are ready for Mastodons when the next Ice Age comes. Dang, that cannot be fun to shoot.

johnson1942
09-07-2015, 10:38 AM
i have a cva omega pistol in 50 cal. i can not shoot anything in it that doesnt recoil way too much. after a big lump on my forehead and a black a blue nose that was it. i love the design and how it is made. how am i going to solve the problem. well i put together a light weight shoulder stock out of flat iron and my friend is going to tig weld it together. it will bolt to the reciever of the gun. ive already installed a dead mule under the front part of the barrel next will be a track of the wolf 40 cal barrel liner 32 inches long. i will ream the barrel out with a ramer i have and install the liner. then i will shoot a 350 grain paperpatched bullet in that 1/16 twist line 40 cal and with the nice nine power scope that is on it it will be tame and give me accracy to any range i want. way too much recoil as is but im glad i have it as i can see it will probably become my favorite shooter for ease of loading, accracy and ease of handling. i love my sidelocks but at my age i like the idea of a nine power scope and a muzzle loader that can do 500 yards with out a strain. last winter i helped a shooter back east develope a bullet design for a pp bullet to shoot in contest for modern inlines. and he gets tight groups at 500 yards and he and his brother win a lot of matches with the several inlines they built around a very fast paperpatched bullet useing blackhorn 209 powder. so now im going to try it also. a dead mule isnt heavy and they work. i may even install one on the inside of the skeleton shoulder stock to really tame that gun.

Hardcast416taylor
09-07-2015, 11:22 AM
Lloyd, I realise that its been a few years since I hunted up around your way, but when did the deer get armored plated? That is a serious load that I`m guessing is for something other than a whitetail deer. What is the season limit on taking treated basketball wood poles?Robert

Lloyd Smale
09-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Robert there surely not needed for anything. Just something different to play with. If I went by your logic I wouldn't have any rifles bigger then my 250 sav or a handgun bigger then a 357 mag.