PDA

View Full Version : New threshold. .......

Harter66
09-06-2015, 12:17 AM
Well for me anyway .

In my quest for a legal cast ,Nevada says big game has to have 1000 ftlb @100 yd , I picked over boolits to the tiniest flaw , kicked back a few checked boolits because it didn't look right and so on . The lube is working ,the cartridge is well completely wrong for the quest but the boolit is designed specifically for it so maybe this is an automatic edge in this case.

I suppose I had given up on achieving a true high proformance boolit . I certainly didn't actually expect to find it in a tiny ,high pressure, short necked ,sharp shouldered ,short bbl ,gas gun .

I'm not impressed with the groups but this 6.8 SPCII M4 has only about 50 rounds through it ,it's a whole new type of shooting platform to me. I'm shooting field positions rather than bags and that spring rattle .......ugh.

Anyway as I work up the load groups are closing ,the 1st shots with 18 randomly picked fmj factory load went about 2" , and are down to about 3" . Not especially impressive alone . Taken all together I'm not unhappy.

I was set up to shoot some BP all weekend with some net friends ,mostly C&B revlovers into a clever steel plate backed tire trap with a backer board in front . Imagine my surprise to find exits through an inch of plywood and an 1/4 inch steel plate shooting a boolit intended to expand in a soft target . I knew the hand cannons would punch car doors,refrigerators, stoves and washers at 25yd but I didn't expect it from a 129 gr 278 dia at 75 yd .
I guess that means a spring hog is in a world of hurt . :) I expect it will satisfactorily wreck a mulie to 150 as is .

Now for some bags on the bench and some fine tuning and Chrony to see if its making the numbers (as if punching holes in 1/4 in plate weren't enough) .

Harter66
09-06-2015, 08:56 PM
I was surprised at the impact dimples caused by the soft lead round balls from an 1858 36 Rem with a cylinder full of home scratch black also. Well here's 2000 words . I also only found 2 of 8 gas checks and those are opened out flat ...