PDA

View Full Version : what do i do if my trigger sucks

reloader89
04-02-2008, 11:47 AM
i have a seven lb trigger on my modle seventy is there any altrinitive to buying a new one

1Shirt
04-02-2008, 12:10 PM
A gunsmith can work it down for you, but will probably recommend a new trigger.
Good Luck!
1Shirt!:coffee:

James C. Snodgrass
04-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Fix it. I mean look at the contact areas . If you have a magnifying glass use it . Look for rough surfaces and polish them out with a sharpening stone. A mod. 70 trigger is one of the simplest of triggers. It isn't as complicated to my way of thinking as trying to type on this thing . Good luck James

carpetman
04-02-2008, 12:22 PM
To answer your question in the thread title---if your trigger sucks,use it for a vacuum cleaner.

reloader89
04-02-2008, 01:57 PM
i have herd of having a gun smith polish it, but is there a chance of it misfiring if poloshed too much? also for a hunting gun do you think 2.5 lbs is too little of a pull?

KCSO
04-02-2008, 03:42 PM
The Model 70 Winchester trigger is semi adjustable and you will cause no harm if you POLISH the mating surfaces WITHOUT changing any engagment angles. How light you set your trigger depends on how and where you hunt and how carefull you are. I have hunted for years with set triggers on my long rifle and have grown use to setting as I bring up the gun. I don't have a trigger over 3 pounds on any of my guns except for my 1911 and that is set for 4# even. As to polishing too much it is more likely that improper polishing and changing angles will be the most problem. Unfortunatly there isn't a gun shop around here that will even work on a trigger due to liability. To do a good job you need a good set of stones but for the $40 or so yo will spend you will have the tools for the rest of your life, or until you drop a hard stone on a concrete floor.

AZ-Stew
04-02-2008, 04:17 PM
The greatest hazard is not that it may misfire, but that it may fire when you don't want it to. You may make the gun unsafe if you change the sear engagement angles or remove too much material. If you don't know what you're doing, this is a job best left to a qualified gunsmith.

There are aftermarket trigger assemblies available that permit full adjustment while remaining safe. Here are a couple. Be sure to click on the "Technical Specifications & Use" link above the photo.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=786444

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=769235

Regards,

Stew

Char-Gar
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Remingto triggers can be adjusted, but Remington doesn't want you to adjust them for liability reasons. They put sealant on the adjustment points. Jack with one and you void the warantee. Many gunsmith won't mess with them for the same liability reasons.

That said, I have adjusted my Remington 700 trigger down from an usable 7 lbs to a usable 3 lbs with no problems. No... I won't tell you how. I sorta hold the opinion that if you have to ask your question, you should not be messing with a Remington trigger. I am not trying to be snoty, just careful and considerate of your health and safety. Folks that don't understand triggers should not be jacking with them.

Google is your friend, and there is information on the net about adjusting REmington triggers. Do it at your own risk.

Dale53
04-02-2008, 05:52 PM
I have had excellent results with Win Model 70 triggers by just adjusting them. You have to take the rifle from the stock to do so. It is an easy trick to reduce the trigger pull. I only had to do stone work on one.

I have strong beliefs about hunting rifles. You normally hunt in cold weather where it is common to have fingers that are less than sensitive. I set all of my hunting rifles at 4# (nothing less). A good clean four pound trigger will give you all you need for hunting. NOTHING worse than having a premature let off and missing the rack of your dreams ( or worse yet, hitting something that you shouldn't).

A set trigger is a completely different animal. It is reasonably safe until it is set - an experienced shooter has that all worked out for himself.

I have match guns with triggers as light as 3 ounces but do NOT hunt with them.

Dale53

leftiye
04-02-2008, 06:01 PM
So, When you've stoned the surfaces (fine emory paper - as fine as 1500 grit - will also polish these surfaces. You really only want to remove the burrs, and smooth the surface. Keep your strokes vertical to the sear engagement corners) and set the trigger as you want it, and you want to know if it will fire with impact - Remove the action from the stock, and remove the scope, get a piece of 2X4, or 2X6, cock the bolt, and bring the rear tang of the reciever down vertically hard on the 2X4 when it in turn rests on a concrete floor. If that doesn't make it let off from impact, almost nothing will, and this should be safe. Almost nothing you can do to impact the inertia of that trigger when in the stock by slamming the stock into something will equal that.

felix
04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Anyone not owning a BR technological trigger, such as an Arnold Jewell, is missing a real treat used on their prized rifle. These triggers are typically 3-way adjustable via external means. ... felix

DLCTEX
04-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Savage triggers are also adjustable, at least in the several modles I and mine have. DALE

danski26
04-03-2008, 01:35 AM
reloader89

in my opinion the model 70 trigger is the best of all factory triggers. Someone who knows what they are doing can give you a very good trigger job. If you are having a hard time finding a gunsmith to do the job PM me and I can point you to a good one.

Saint
04-03-2008, 07:10 AM
Squeeze harder
JK

The kentucky pistol in my avatar has a 12 pound trigger pull due to the primitive trigger but I did find polishing to be very helpful.

EMC45
04-03-2008, 08:04 AM
You may not have to stone at all. I will tell you this; the Win. trigger works on a jam nut principle, meaning loosen one and jam the other to it. I have done one. It went from about 7-8 lbs to about 3. I did the bump test and it did not dry fire. Be careful and tear it down see how it works. It's easier than you think.

leftiye
04-03-2008, 03:01 PM
I just bought a factory Remington match trigger for my model 700 BDL .300 win mag (elk ritoofle), it adjusts down to where you "think it off". Won't go off if dropped from an airplane, but ya don't have to pull noticeably.